not on the lock screen..

Is there an application for that,
or d'you have to jailbreak it...

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If your friend doesn't have 4.0/4.0.1, you can use Spirit to jailbreak, which is much easier.
@Dialexio: He needs Cydia, Rock or something else to get winterboard and themes (unless he puts them manually through SSH, in which case he will need openSSH)

TornZero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
metamaster, on the iPhone 3G, you can't use the iOS 4 wallpaper feature without jailbreaking since it would cause it to slow down (though iOS 4 slows down every device (except the 3Gs and iPhone 4) I've seen just having the firmware on it, including my iTouch 2G ;_;). The same goes for Apple-style multi-tasking.

If you just recently got it, you'll probably HAVE to get iOS 4.

1: Get the correct iOS 4 firmware for the iPhone here.

2: Download redsn0w.

3: Install the firmware and follow the redsn0w guide on its webpage. (the guide also shows how to activate all iOS features on the 3G)

4: ???

5: Profit! =P

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
If your friend doesn't have 4.0/4.0.1, you can use Spirit to jailbreak, which is much easier.
@Dialexio: He needs Cydia, Rock or something else to get winterboard and themes (unless he puts them manually through SSH, in which case he will need openSSH)

You can't use Spirit to jailbreak 4.0 4.0.1 devices, you have to use PwnageTool for Mac or RedSn0w for PC... Spirit still has to be updated.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait, iOS 4 slows down when you put wallpapers on your springboard on slower devices? I though that only happened when multitasking (hence, Apple removed that feature)

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
metamaster said:
Wait, iOS 4 slows down when you put wallpapers on your springboard on slower devices? I though that only happened when multitasking (hence, Apple removed that feature)

Apple are liars.

They just want you to buy the new device.

This is not even multitasking. it just stops the app :/

Only app that really multitasks is Colloquy (to my knowledge)

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, any app can multitask the right way if you use Backgrounder
wink.gif

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unfortunately it's a resource hog, even on an iPad, it slows down other apps. (well, on a demanding 3D game anyway)

EpicJungle

stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Soo... You have to jailbreak it...
I'll do that when he asks us to put on music next time :)

Thanks for the replies :D

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ifish said:
This is not even multitasking. it just stops the app :/
That is not true at all.

First point: "multitasking" is not just a technical implementation. You have to make the software work in a way that makes it easy to switch between screens and applications, allowing the user to be physically capable of "multitasking." The first revision of iOS on the original iPhone actually accomplished this very well, better than anything which came before it.

Second: iOS4 implements a much more robust IO framework for applications not in the foreground (yes, iOS3 has a similar but anemic framework which also allowed the presentation of simple software multitasking). Whereas the previous solution only allowed a remote server to push textual messages to you, the new framework allows additional activities such as audio playback and location-based pinging, among other things.

Oliver Drobnik wrote up a fairly comprehensive post on iOS4 implementation:
http://www.drobnik.com/touch/2010/07/under...gate-messaging/

A good read if you don't want to ignorantly restate whatever you heard on the latest trend-whoring blog.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM