iPhone: Question about using old plan with new iPhone

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Devante, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Devante
    OP

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    I have a 2 year old Cingular voiceplan with no data plan attached other than text messaging.

I put my old sim card in the iPhone (used iPhone) and when I tried to activate my iphone in iTunes, it wanted me to extend my contract by another 2 years and add $20 for the basic data plan!

All I want is to use my iPhone as a PHONE with an ipod built in, and browse the web whenever near a WiFi spot.
    I don't want to use their 3G data "lines" or whatever.

How can I get around this?
    Unlock my phone or something?

2. tomqman

Member tomqman This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.

United Kingdom
    download http://www.ziphone.org/
    download ziphone and it will can activate and jailbreak your iphone so you can install really kool apps

3. MystikEkoez

Member MystikEkoez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Make sure you take out your sim card first before using Ziphone. Also, if you know that you're not going to be using the phone features, do NOT downgrade your baseband or bootloader.

4. Devante
    OP

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    Thanks for the tips.

By the way, I do plan on using the phone features.
    Like making phone calls, sending text messages, taking photos, browsing the web (only on WiFi), using the iPod.

Did you mean something else?

5. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    As far as I know, the iPhone is still tied to AT&T's service exclusively. Careful that you aren't being asked to sign up for that instead of extending your cingular acct. The only way I know to use the iPhone as a phone without doing funky stuff to it, jailbreaking it and all, is to sign up with AT&T. I wouldn't jailbreak the phone by the way... with the App Store, you'll soon be able to get lots of cool apps without the danger of bricking your phone.

I stand ready to be corrected on any of this, but that's what I've figured out so far.

Oh, and hey DeVante! You got an iPhone, much envy! :nogreensmileysdamn:

edit: oh, and currently, the iPhone uses Edge, not 3G, probably won't go 3G without a hardware update (and that's what I'm waiting for before I buy one.) You have to have a data plan though, I think 60 bucks a month is about as cheap as you'll be able to get a plan for currently. That smarts for me, cuz I'm currently just paying 30.

6. MystikEkoez

Member MystikEkoez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've been using T-Mobile on an jailbroken unlocked iPhone that I bought from the Apple Store a month ago. I also use the $5.99 T-Zones hack in order to get unlimited web access on my iPhone.
    Also, it is impossible to brick your phone as you can ALWAYS send your iPhone into DFU mode, not recovery mode, but DFU, and do a full restore on iTunes.
    And everyone knows that the iPhone secretly has 3G, but Apple is waiting for some particular moment to activate it. [​IMG]

7. tomqman

Member tomqman This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.

United Kingdom
    sorry to to do this to you mthrnite but almost all risk can be fixed by putting the iphone into recovery mode and restoring it(the risk that cant are usally problems with the phone it self)

8. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Lets just send as much money into Apple's pocket as we possibly can eh?

9. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Thanks for the info.. I still worry that Apple will pull a Microsoft in the future and figure out a way to, if not brick the phone, implement some feature that won't be accessible unless the phone is unaltered. That said, I'll look into what you're talking about, and see if there's any Sprint solutions. I really don't wanna pay sprint a buncha moneys for quitting my contract early, and I have absolutely no love for AT&T.

Question: can you access all the standard features using T-Mobile.. specifically Visual Voicemail? In other words.. what's the downsides? I like the layout and features that the iPhone has, and I'm wondering if you had to give anything up to get T-Mobile to work with it.

Oh, and Urza...
    1. Go back to bed.
    2. OffTopic84 wins, at least he was able to restrain his snide comments, that I'm sure are bubbling up inside him like a boiling pot of milk.
    3. Application makers have the option of releasing their apps for free. Sure they have to pay for the dev kit, but w/e, it wouldn't be ME paying for it.

10. DarthYoshi

Member DarthYoshi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    From what I know, mthrnite, not having the data plan with AT&T means no Visual Voicemail, no unlimited data, and no 200 text messages. Now, it sounds like if you unlocked your phone and went to, say Sprint, you could get that data and text back, but I don't think you could get Visual Voicemail back.

I don't have an iPhone, so I could be wrong.

Now could someone clarify something else for me? My family happens to have AT&T, but there's no way I'm going to pay that data plan, I'm already poor enough. [​IMG] So is it possible to use ZiPhone to jailbreak and unlock my iPhone, then slip in a normal SIM card and not have to pay the AT&T data plan?

11. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. I'll try to nice up my comments around you from now on.

Some of us would rather not pay for applications we are getting for free, and theres a huge library of applications currently available via the unofficial SDK. Most of the apps via the AppStore won't be free because not many without deep pockets are going to front the money for the devkit without expecting anything in return for that investment.

I also wouldn't say its unlikely that the official applications get cracked, but that would require a jailbroken phone obviously. You being the good little Apple boy you are wouldn't dare do something so rebellious as that would you eh?

12. DarthYoshi

United States
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I just need to be reassured about this sort of thing before I actually do it.

13. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Bumping due to refurbished 8GB iPhones being available on AT&T's site for 250USD.

14. DarthYoshi

United States
    Woah, sweet deal. But could I still get that price if I didn't activate it through the store/iTunes? Or would they know I didn't activate it through iTunes and make me pay them the extra money.

EDIT: Actually, the "Never Opened" iPhones on ebay are going cheaper than pre unlocked/jailbroken iPhones. I might just get one from there later.

15. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    They won't track you down.

16. theman69

Member theman69 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    so what your saying with those refurbished 8G's i can jailbrake the iphone then put in my cingular simcard in it? cause if so, here i come iphone

17. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Correct.