iPhone: Invention of the Year.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Veho, Nov 4, 2007.

Nov 4, 2007

iPhone: Invention of the Year. by Veho at 9:01 PM (3,589 Views / 0 Likes) 56 replies

1. Veho
    OP

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    This is the "Invention of the Year."

[​IMG]

RLY

Oh...khaaay, now all I need to know is what the invention really is. The telephone part? The media player part? An electrostatic touch-screen? Bluetooth? Cuz I'm pretty sure I've seen all those before already. Wouldn't call any of it an "invention".

Oh well. Shows what I know.

2. apb407

Member apb407 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [​IMG] ^ you are totaly right tc

3. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    From experience - iPhones are WAY over rated.
    They play music and videos, take pictures, and have a web browser and can, most importantly, make phone calls.

But it has a large touchscreen. So that makes it soooo much better than any other cell phone or smart phone. [​IMG]

4. Hiratai

Banned Hiratai I'm like *tick* *tick*

United States
    The mixture between all of them is the invention part. Like that commercial about the guy watching his wife put dishes in the drawer. He made a drawer that automatically cleans the dishes. Practically the same concept.

5. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Why did you make this topic?

Its just going to lead to a completely pointless argument.

6. Veho
    OP

Croatia
    Well, I was about to embark on a lengthy exposition with anarchistic overtones on the state of modern society and the effect of mass media on the decision making process and belief systems of a modern individual (illustrated among other things by the iPhone), but all the good points were already taken by the "Leave Britney alone" guy, so I decided not to bore you, and only post the illustration.

7. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    youtube was Time's invention of the year on 2006. That doesn't mean that internet video didn't exist before that.

8. Hiratai

Banned Hiratai I'm like *tick* *tick*

United States
    It hasn't been as successful. Look at the Gameboy. it was awesome, and all over powerful. But before that there was a Nomad which had more, why don't we still see those?

9. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Of course you would consider doing that, completely dismissing any possibility that the iPhone is actually a good device with a brilliant interface.

10. Veho
    OP

Croatia
    But it's not an invention. It is a smartphone. Smartphones are nothing new. So it's a pretty and well-built smartphone, but it's not exactly a novelty. (Okay, good-looking smartphones are a novel concept, yes, but still.) As I said, it may be "Product of the Year", fine, I won't argue with that, but it really is not an invention of any kind.

And the Youtube (Invention of the Year 2006 [​IMG] ) example proves the Times magazine has a weird (and above all incorrect) definition of the word "invention".

11. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

Its a multimedia phone with an OS that doesn't suck. Although I hate apple with a passion, I will agree that they make a much better OS then Qualcom or whoever designs the OS on phones today.

12. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    It's a phone that does too many things. I just want a phone that makes calls. And it's limited to one network. Yeah, great phone there.

13. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Oh, I agree with it not really being an invention, but it seemed you were implying that it was 'successful' solely because of marketing.

14. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    IMO the only reason the iPhone is successful is because of the iPod and the fact that it has the Apple logo on it. If this device came out from any other manufacturer at the price it is it would have flopped.

15. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Well, I bought one, and its the first Apple product I've ever purchased new.

16. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    true. If Sanyo or Panasonic... would have made it then people would have been "thats cool". The apple logo helps it sell... Its probably the only reason why people went crazy for it.

17. HelloKitty

Member HelloKitty GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would use an Iphone but I use Tmobile... but it'll be a struggle to keep up with the unlocking/firmware blocking process.. [​IMG]

18. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Step 1: Unlock.

Step 2: Don't install new firmware.

Step 3: Go back to Step 2.

19. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    It's being released over in the UK... on ONE network which is the O2 network. I walked in there once to help someone buy a phone and I saw them guard a table with a cloth over it with the dat NOVEMBER 9TH. Either way, this is a horribly overpriced gadget that doesn't have much features compared to other normal phones.

Holy crap, my phone did something special yesterday... yes... I spoke... to my relative... on my phone. Hold me, I'm scared now.

That said, who has the iFone?

20. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    A 250mhz PII computer can do pretty much anything I need it to, but theres still no way in fuck I'm using it.