Apple iPhone 4 Camera Problem!

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I got a new iPhone and the camera was not working right out of the box.
I checked online for my problem, accessed the internal files and deleted what I was told to. The problem wasn't fixed even after rebooting.
People said that restores wouldn't help, but I restored my phone anyways and I think I'm getting somewhere, but it's not quite good because only the backward-facing camera works. When I switch it to the front-facing camera, the view freezes but the app's buttons still works if that makes sense. This is a serious issue, and the camera problem is also present on all apps that use the camera.
Anyone got any ideas on how I might fix this?
Thanks in advance!

edit: Also, switching back after it has frozen won't work. That grey shutter will just close. I have to close the app from the multitask bar and reopen it.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
The key thing here is: Not working right out of the box.
Full restore it to factory (you accessed internal files so I think you jailbroke. You've editted files anyway) and return it. Get a working one.

Lucifer666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's the problem: I'm going for a DIY repair type of thing 'cause the box's been around the house for quite a long time and I don't exactly have the receipt. There aren't any apple stores here either so there's no place to send it to.

What I've done is, since people said that restores don't help and that I'm 100% positive it's a software problem, I've deleted all the files associated to the camera app, so when I opened it, it was completely dead. I restored THEN and saw that the files were replaced! But I still have the same problem.

This might not make any sense, but there's a small chance that I'm using a faulty cable to restore my iPhone (got it from a cheap place and it's unstable), although it is highly unlikely that it will solve anything. For the time being, that's all I can think of.

Last edited by Lucifer666,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an iPhone 4 with Verizon and doesnt have a problem. Maybe you jailbroke or something. Nothing you can do to fix it or unjailbroken it and see if it works and if it doesnt then return for a working one.

Lucifer666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't jailbroken my phone ever before.
That's the problem. I really don't know what to do. And the thing is, this thing where only the front-facing camera doesn't work isn't exactly common. I haven't found other people with my problem online.

Last edited by Lucifer666,

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
There's the problem: I'm going for a DIY repair type of thing 'cause the box's been around the house for quite a long time and I don't exactly have the receipt. There aren't any apple stores here either so there's no place to send it to.

What I've done is, since people said that restores don't help and that I'm 100% it's a software problem, I've deleted all the files associated to the camera app, so when I opened it, it was completely dead. I restored THEN and saw that the files were replaced! But.. I still have the same problem.

This might not make any sense, but there's a small chance that I'm using a faulty cable to restore my iPhone (got it from a cheap place and it's unstable), although it is highly unlikely that it will solve anything. For the time being, that's all I can think of..
Faulty cable is a moot argument. It either connects or it doesn't.
Deleting all the camera app files will kill the camera app, of course. Restoring replaces all the system files and default apps. I'll assume to restored to the latest firmware. I know you say its a software problem but do you have any evidence for this? Since most other iPhones function perfectly. Try using Facetime or Skype to video call somebody. If the camera works there THEN it must be a software problem.

I'd still contact Apple Support. If the iPhone is less than a year old they'll be able to help you, even replace it for you.

Lucifer666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's the thing, I'm generally an Android person, but I have the crappiest Android phone in the world (Samsung Galaxy Gio). I was offered a free iPhone 4 that hasn't been used before (but has been bought a while back), so I thought it's probably best to go for it. Especially with Siri ported, it would work wonders. Only thing is, I'm not going to jailbreak, get apps or even use it at all until I fix the camera problem. I'm really, really desperate to fix it.

I'm currently downloading the 5.0.1 IPSW again, only not from iTunes this time, but from felixburns. I don't know how on earth that's going to help, especially when iTunes gives out the proper and official IPSW, but I'm telling you guys, I'm trying absolutely everything. Also especially since the problem got worse and now I can't use the camera at all.

In fact, here. I'll just upload a video to show you guys what's going on. Give me a few minutes.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's the thing, I'm generally an Android person, but I have the crappiest Android phone in the world (Samsung Galaxy Gio). I was offered a free iPhone 4 that hasn't been used before (but has been bought a while back), so I thought it's probably best to go for it.
Well, I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to find a place that deals in repairing iPhones if it will end up being a hardware issue, but if you don't want to invest money in it and damage is not apparent, you can always "be an ass" and sell the phone in a pawn shop or on E-Bay and use the money you gain to buy something you'd rather use instead.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
how far back was it bought? just call apple!

there has to be a date when the phone was activated, if it's within the year there shouldn't be any problems. even if it has been longer they may replace it anyway. just call, tell them your convoluted story. you don't need a receipt. if they approve the return/fix, they will send you a box. you put the phone in the box and fedex picks it up from your house and you are done.

unless there is something shady going on, like the iphone was stolen, then i don't see what the big deal is.

Lucifer666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I know it is not a hardware problem because it didn't actually come not working out-of-the-box. It stopped working after an update to 5.0.1. That's how I know it's a software problem.

I've finally gotten the video uploaded here:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/EAKPofCGynY[/youtube]

Also, having apple fix it is impossible where I live. I went on their website for their worldwide phone numbers. The one for my country is broken and didn't work, so I made an international call to the states, only to be kept on hold for legit around an hour after answering this machine's questions. It's useless. There are no apple stores here, and, according to the Apple guy on the phone, the cheapest I can get it repaired for is $149.99 by sending it over to the states. Apple really, really needs to work on their customer support.

So, yeah, I'm not dealing with apple's customer service. Currently, I'm still experimenting and seeing what I can do. If I don't find a solution in the next 2-3 days, I'll drive by some unofficial repair places.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyFz0yBxj8