iPhone 3G S and Upcoming iPod Touch 3G

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by TwinBlades, Jun 26, 2009.

Jun 26, 2009
  1. TwinBlades
    OP

Member TwinBlades GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    I was just noticed that the new iPhone 3G S, had a HUGE hardware upgrade. First to let you know how big, heres a post that I found on MacRumors.com

My question is, do you guys think the new iPhone and the upcoming iPod Touch will be the next generation Portable Gaming Device? As its been told on Apple's Advertisement.

2. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    No.

Without any physical buttons I don't think it ever can be a truly successful gaming device. Sure there are a lot of games that are well suited to a touch screen such as puzzle games and the like. But could I imagine playing something like Half Life on my Touch? Or would I even want to? Hell no.

3. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I agree with shaunj66, unless it has buttons (which is obviously the opposite of what Apple wants to do with its minimalist touch design) it's not really gonna work with 'hardcore' games. On the go when I'm bored, fine, I love to play card games like Solitaire or music games like Osu! Half-Life 2 and Doom are just too tricky, plus it's a tiny screen to put all that detail on.

4. xDlmaoxD

Member xDlmaoxD GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Unless the new ipod touch has buttons implemented I would say this is a fail.
    Having a controller for such a small device is not really attractive.
    All the iphone/touc games are really bad nothing compare to the DS or PSP.
    Sometimes you just need buttons.

5. lolsjoel

Member lolsjoel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I definitely plan on getting an 3G iPod touch. My 1G iPod touch is so gimped, I can hardly call it a gaming system, though I do game on it a lot. No internal speakers?! C'mon...

6. TwinBlades
    OP

Member TwinBlades GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    I think it's a bit cool to be able to play those kind of the games on the new iPod Touch/Phone. The button controller is coming out those with the new iPod Touch 3G. BUT, I do agree with you of not playing those games that should be sticked with PC and other consoles BECAUSE, iPods are SUPPOSE to be an MP3 Player not a gaming device (Phone for iPhone). I dont see why Apple is trying to compette with Sont and Nintendo. Although the hardware of the iPods are pretty impressive [​IMG].

7. Big Kong Boss

Member Big Kong Boss GBAtemp Fan

Korea, South
    I still don't see the iTouch/iPhone as "gaming" systems. [​IMG]

8. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    I'd still rather play games on my PC, but i guess the whole idea behind this 'gaming on the go', still looks to [​IMG] and [​IMG]

9. DsHacker14

Member DsHacker14 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Even though i also don't see iphone/itouch as gaming systems this is great news and im planning on buying the iphone 3g soon.

10. Mr.Mysterio

Member Mr.Mysterio GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Qatar
    I would never use my iPhone for games like Half-Life.
    It just doesnt feel like a gaming device to me.

11. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I pretty much agree with the majority, that this is not really attractive. Even though I really like my 2nd gen iTouch and I have bought some games for it, I just don't play them. I'd rather use my PSP, GBA or DS handhelds for gaming on the go.

That GameBone thing is an absolute no-go for me btw. It's hideous and really defeats the purpose of the simplistic design.

12. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    I feel the same about mine. But it will be interesting to see how Zune HD performs against the next iPod. Zune will be sporting a nVidia Tegra chipset, which will, performance-wise blow iPod's hardware out of the water. There are three significant problems, however:

1) Zune doesn't even officially support games yet (although it is strongly implied they will be available)
    2) Zune isn't available outside of US
    3) iPod touch has a three year head-start

We'll see how it pans out. While iPod/iPhone certainly won't replace my DS anytime soon, some games are actually very good (Toki Tori is exactly like it's WiiWare counterpart [​IMG])

13. dajavax

Member dajavax GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    guys check this out

[​IMG]

they are also making this controllers... for a while now... seems like a good choice... and it solves the button and portability problem... i like it... we'll just have to see how it works out...

[​IMG]

14. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Who's going to lug around a controller for there phone?

15. gblock247

Member gblock247 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've been going back and forth on getting a 2G iPod Touch, but when is the new one coming out? Maybe we'd see a price drop in 2G when 3G hits....

16. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    why am I not believing this

maybe because the original xbox had a lot of problems running HL2 properly

17. yeahitschris

Member yeahitschris GBAtemp Regular

United States
    geez.. looks like people are using phones for more than just calling

18. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Dude hl2 is a directx only game, so unless valve decide to port it to the horrible opengl then for a start this isnt even possible.

19. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    That's a thing I hate about Apple. They get out a new hardware design (which isn't simply a form-factor redesign) every 6 months or something. So I have to shell out a shootload of money to have something which will be outdated in something like 6 months.

They're just greedy bastards doing this to make people buy the same product three or four times.
    There are people out there that sell their iPod everytime a new gen comes out.

Meh. I would NEVER support Apple.

20. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    I am currently using the first generation iPhone and I don`t see myself forced to upgrade, since the new features are not that grave... And the install base for the last two models is pretty big so I don`t see developers stopping the support for those.

But I agree with shaunj66. There are games that suit the hardware and some, that just isn`t.