OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
iPBFree is gone forever and it's not possible to retrieve anything. We're exceptionally sorry, it wasn't planned.
Pretty sad... iPBFree was a website that allowed the users to create a forum, and was shutdown for legal reasons. As stated above, the many users of iPBFree cannot retrieve anything they had there. I work with the homebrew Super Smash Bros. Rumble, and most of our sprites/stages/etc. where hosted there, so you can imagine how tragic something like this is to people.

Source

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ore0 said:
QUOTE said:
iPBFree is gone forever and it's not possible to retrieve anything. We're exceptionally sorry, it wasn't planned.
Pretty sad... iPBFree was a website that allowed the users to create a forum, and was shutdown for legal reasons. As stated above, the many users of iPBFree cannot retrieve anything they had there. I work with the homebrew Super Smash Bros. Rumble, and most of our sprites/stages/etc. where hosted there, so you can imagine how tragic something like this is to people.

Source
Oh my.. that sucks for you... Good luck!

J

Jackreyes

ore0 said:
QUOTE said:

Source
Nobody had a backup..?

ore0

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not sure yet. I'm pretty sure right now everybody thinks that it's just temporarily down, because iPBFree never really sent out a mass email, I don't think. I sent the leader of the project a PM two seconds ago.

Mikehoncho16

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know where Diddeh plans to move us to? This sucks a lot, this could make us lose quite a few members, were going to have to advertise on a bunch of sites to get some members back, not to mention the fact that the Werewolf Hunt is gone, and I just got started
frown.gif
I hope everyone still has their sprites, stages, etc.

Fabis94

Xbawx playa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Urza, actually IPB is one of the best if not the best forum softwares. It's customizable, really cool looking and most of all user-friendly.

Anyways ore0 use MyBB. It's like the best free forum source EVER + unlike IPB Free Hosting sites, myBB hosting sites host the latest versions since MyBB is free.
The default skin of MyBB is hideous, but you can easily change that.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fabis94 said:
Urza, actually IPB is one of the best if not the best forum softwares. It's customizable, really cool looking and most of all user-friendly.
It's buggy as fuck with numerous security vulnerabilities at any given time.

Compare to a competitor like SMF from a developer standpoint and it really shows how hacked together it is.

Fabis94

Xbawx playa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Really security vulnerabilites? I know some sites that have databases of exploits and vulnerabilities for hackers to use. And i mean real stuff that keeps updated every day. And guess what?

Last vulnerable version was one of the BETA versions for v3, but for the 2.X versions it was 2.3.5. 2.3.6 has been running for years now and there are no vulnerabilities.

So yeah stop talking about stuff you aren't competent about.

Eon-Rider

Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
I'm glad that awful site has shut down as well. I've never had a liking for forum software hosts. I've always self-hosted my own forums and turn away from these rubbish services. It's always good when you're in total control of your own files. =)

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fabis94 said:
Really security vulnerabilites? I know some sites that have databases of exploits and vulnerabilities for hackers to use. And i mean real stuff that keeps updated every day. And guess what?

Last vulnerable version was one of the BETA versions for v3, but for the 2.X versions it was 2.3.5. 2.3.6 has been running for years now and there are no vulnerabilities.

So yeah stop talking about stuff you aren't competent about.
http://secunia.com/advisories/product/3705/?task=advisories

rolleyes.gif

Fabis94

Xbawx playa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Really i see only 2 that show up as not patched and those 2 have actually been patched anyways. Every Web software has bugs, if you think it doesn't then think again. Also what that shitty site says can't be compared to this:

123bmdu.png

I colored out the stuff that is irrelevant. Now 1st one doesn't work, then 2nd and 3rd are for MODS so Invision Power isn't responsible for those. Then theres one for like 2.0.4 which was released like on 2006 or something. Then 2 are for the beta (obviously it will have vulnerabilities).

And then only 2 are the most recent ones, but those have been patched with 2.3.6. Only forums that didn't update to 2.3.6 still have them.

So in total if you keep up to date your IPB forum isn't vulnerable AT ALL.

AND it is obvious that such a popular software will get more hacker attention than other ones.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fabis94 said:
Really i see only 2 that show up as not patched and those 2 have actually been patched anyways. Every Web software has bugs, if you think it doesn't then think again. Also what that shitty site says can't be compared to this:

123bmdu.png

I colored out the stuff that is irrelevant. Now 1st one doesn't work, then 2nd and 3rd are for MODS so Invision Power isn't responsible for those. Then theres one for like 2.0.4 which was released like on 2006 or something. Then 2 are for the beta (obviously it will have vulnerabilities).

And then only 2 are the most recent ones, but those have been patched with 2.3.6. Only forums that didn't update to 2.3.6 still have them.

So in total if you keep up to date your IPB forum isn't vulnerable AT ALL.

AND it is obvious that such a popular software will get more hacker attention than other ones.

Would you rather use good software or buggy software that you must keep up to date all the time because of potential security exploits?
Sorry but Urza is right here.

Reactions: 1 person

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fabis94 said:
Really i see only 2 that show up as not patched and those 2 have actually been patched anyways.
Mind linking to the patches then?

QUOTE said:
Every Web software has bugs, if you think it doesn't then think again. Also what that shitty site says can't be compared to this:

123bmdu.png

Secunia is one of the leading security trackers in the real world. Exploit DB is for script kiddies who like their sites to be plastered with pseudo-"hacker" skins.

Thus contributing to its insecurity.

Why are you going to such lengths spouting these untruths to defend a forum platform, of all things. Lowest common denominator.

Reactions: 1 person

Fabis94

Xbawx playa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Linking to the patches? Hmm well i don't know maybe updating your forum = getting the patch? Never thought of that? Yeah who would have known that when Companies release new versions they fix bugs and vulnerabilities. It's ironic how such a professional who knows everything about hacking doesn't understand the basic concept of software updates.

I gave ExploitDB as an example. But it shows how vulnerable are sites. Look at GBATemp - pretty popular and never hacked. There are a ton more IPB sites that are really popular and have never been hacked.

Their popularity speaks for itself. If it would be that vulnerable it wouldn't be the most popular forum source.

This one line just beats everything you said.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Fabis94 said:
Linking to the patches? Hmm well i don't know maybe updating your forum = getting the patch? Never thought of that? Yeah who would have known that when Companies release new versions they fix bugs and vulnerabilities.

I gave ExploitDB as an example. But it shows how vulnerable are sites. Look at GBATemp - pretty popular and never hacked. There are a ton more IPB sites that are really popular and have never been hacked.

Their popularity speaks for itself. If it would be that vulnerable it wouldn't be the most popular forum source.

You may want to rethink that sentence.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fabis94 said:
Linking to the patches? Hmm well i don't know maybe updating your forum = getting the patch? Never thought of that? Yeah who would have known that when Companies release new versions they fix bugs and vulnerabilities.
Since your reading comprehension isn't stellar, I'll be patient. While what you say is obviously true, companies generally publish documentation when rolling out new versions and patches. I was looking through the update log posted on the support forum, and didn't see any mention of a patch for this vulnerability. You seem to be aware of it, and thus I was asking if you had a link to documentation referencing said patch.

QUOTEI gave ExploitDB as an example. But it shows how vulnerable are sites. Look at GBATemp - pretty popular and never hacked. There are a ton more IPB sites that are really popular and have never been hacked.

Windows is the most popular desktop platform.

This one line just counters your one line.
tpi.gif

(and GBAtemp has actually been hacked on several occasions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol