Hacking [IPatched] Want to Update OFW and abandon hacking - will I get banned?

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
I bought an ipatched 4.1.0 Switch and did my best to hack the thing, but frankly I just feel like giving up and using it as an unhacked console. Today I made an attempt to create an emuMMC, and creating two partitions for this was a disaster - not only did this fail, but I fucked up my SD card in the process. Now my computer can't actually open it or format it ('unable to format') and I can't go back and take the steps I'd taken. noahc3 had a neat tutorial for setting up CFW, but the part for creating an emuNAND that was promised weeks ago hasn't been posted, and look what happens when I try to do everything on my own - I knew it would all go to hell.

I want to give up and use this Switch as an unhacked, 'clean' console. Am I going to get banned if I use it as such? I've never set up a 'real' internet connection on this thing because I was genuinely hoping setting up homebrew with backups would work out, but it looks like this is getting nowhere, and I just want to play the recently released Fire Emblem game. It's either getting emuMMC setup done - which there's no way in hell I'm accomplishing right now - or using the console 'normally'.

So, if I go back, what's the likelihood of getting banned if the only time I set up an internet connection was with PegaScape DNS (entering wrong password, saving, then entering the right one)? Do I have to clean up my Switch, and if so, how? ReSwitched - Launch Pegaswitch! is still displayed in my News menu even though I don't have my MicroSD card inside - as far as I understand it's a brick even though all I did was follow the steps in the scenekids guide.

Or should I reconsider and keep trying to set up an emuMMC? That's kinda hard to pull off now that my SD Card is dead (or seems to be, idk).

Reactions: Zaybokk and NoNAND

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
I'm more interested in having a fully functional Switch console right now, rather than making money. I'm okay with buying a 2nd Switch (unpatched) some time in the future, but I want to know if I can go back and enjoy a 'clean' Switch experience or if Nintendo is going to banhammer me for previously installing CFW / Hekate / caffeine and using PegaSwitch/ReSwitched.

Can I actually continue using PegaSwitch DNS after updating OFW and avoid getting banned this way? Or will moving above 4.1.0 cause it to be unusable?

I just wish somebody who understands anything would tell me what my situation is.

Reactions: Zaybokk and NoNAND

xYuunax

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I'm more interested in having a fully functional Switch console right now, rather than making money. I'm okay with buying a 2nd Switch (unpatched) some time in the future, but I want to know if I can go back and enjoy a 'clean' Switch experience or if Nintendo is going to banhammer me for previously installing CFW / Hekate / caffeine and using PegaSwitch/ReSwitched.

Can I actually continue using PegaSwitch DNS after updating OFW and avoid getting banned this way? Or will moving above 4.1.0 cause it to be unusable?

I just wish somebody who understands anything would tell me what my situation is.

Easiest and most trustworthy way is to restore a clean NAND backup? I'm assuming you had done one?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If all you did was boot the warmboot browser exploit, you're unlikely to get banned. You can also restore a clean NAND backup if you made one, but it probably came after running the warmboot browser exploit, so there might be no point.

That being said, I recommend you keep the system on 4.1.0 and try again. Once emuNAND is setup properly, you will have the best of both worlds (an offline emuNAND for hackery, and an online emuNAND for clean online play).

Reactions: Zaybokk

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
If all you did was boot the warmboot browser exploit, you're unlikely to get banned. You can also restore a clean NAND backup if you made one, but it probably came after running the warmboot browser exploit, so there might be no point.

That being said, I recommend you keep the system on 4.1.0 and try again. Once emuNAND is setup properly, you will have the best of both worlds (an offline emuNAND for hackery, and an online emuNAND for clean online play).

True, I did have to set up all the homebrew stuff in order to perform the sysNAND backup.

How would you suggest I try to get out of the predicament I'm in? You've responded to my threads a lot before and you're always on point; do you know what could be wrong with my micro SD and how I can make it usable first and, second, create partitions correctly without messing everything up again? I've included a link to a thread outlining my problems in the first post. Basically, can't open the SD Card to see what's inside, can't format it with Windows, just seem to be totally stuck.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, I did have to set up all the homebrew stuff in order to perform the sysNAND backup.

How would you suggest I try to get out of the predicament I'm in? You've responded to my threads a lot before and you're always on point; do you know what could be wrong with my micro SD and how I can make it usable first and, second, create partitions correctly without messing everything up again? I've included a link to a thread outlining my problems in the first post. Basically, can't open the SD Card to see what's inside, can't format it with Windows, just seem to be totally stuck.
What happens if you try to format the SD card using SD Formatter?

Reactions: Francesca

wiewiec

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Also test if card is legit by using h2testw via Windows to be sure.

Reactions: NoNAND and Lacius

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
What happens if you try to format the SD card using SD Formatter?

This worked, thank you. Back to exFat now with a clean SD Card that appears to be working fine?

Following the scenekids tutorial instructions, I royally messed things up using the 'AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition 8.3' they recommended I use for creating partitions. Is there no alternative to this for the purpose of creating a 2nd partition for emuNAND? Per chance, you happen to have used some method that works?

Also, when I create two partitions, which one will be used to emuMMC - the bigger or the smaller one? The scenekids guide doesn't appear to elaborate and just says 'separate them, you're done k'.

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Following the scenekids tutorial instructions, I royally messed things up using the 'AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition 8.3' they recommended I use for creating partitions. Is there no alternative to this for the purpose of creating a 2nd partition for emuNAND? Per chance, you happen to have used some method that works?

Also, when I create two partitions, which one will be used to emuMMC - the bigger or the smaller one? The scenekids guide doesn't appear to elaborate and just says 'separate them, you're done k'.

Emummc will be created in the smaller partition...I've used minitool partition wizard (free edition) before and it's worked.

Last edited by hiroakihsu,

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
Emummc will be created in the smaller partition...I've used minitool partition wizard (free edition) before and it's worked.

Ah good. I'll be trying the same next, then. In which of the two partitions shall I leave the payloads and other HBrew / CFW files from sdsetup, big or small partition? Is scenekids correct that you should leave only 29.828 GB for emuMMC?

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Ah good. I'll be trying the same next, then. In which of the two partitions shall I leave the payloads and other HBrew / CFW files from sdsetup, big or small partition? Is scenekids correct that you should leave only 29.828 GB for emuMMC?

SD files go into the bigger partition...Try 29.828 GB first and if hekate still doesn't recognize it then try increasing the size.

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
Running H2testw; 2 hours left so I might as well postpone my further attempts to get things done for tomorrow morning.

Does this mean I will create a 3rd partition for the online emuNAND?

Oh, and can I have a quick reminder? What was the easiest way of changing my SD Card to Fat32? I can't seem to find the post that provided some tips for this a couple weeks ago.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this mean I will create a 3rd partition for the online emuNAND?
If you plan on using online play, you need to two emuNANDs. That means you will have three partitions total on the SD card.

If you don't plan on using online play, you don't need to worry about having more than one emuNAND.

Oh, and can I have a quick reminder? What was the easiest way of changing my SD Card to Fat32? I can't seem to find the post that provided some tips for this a couple weeks ago.
Use guiformat.

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
If you plan on using online play, you need to two emuNANDs. That means you will have three partitions total on the SD card.

If you don't plan on using online play, you don't need to worry about having more than one emuNAND.

Use guiformat.

Gotcha. Is sysnand good for anything when it's stuck at 4.1.0 other than playing older games on cartridge? And if I buy recent games, can I play them while I'm on the emuNAND for hackery?

Reactions: NoNAND

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotcha. Is sysnand good for anything when it's stuck at 4.1.0 other than playing older games on cartridge? And if I buy recent games, can I play them while I'm on the emuNAND for hackery?
The main purpose of your sysNAND is to launch the warmboot browser exploit so you can boot into one of your emuNANDs. I personally wouldn't do anything else with it, because you don't want to accidentally mess it up and/or update it.

That being said, you can use your 4.1.0 sysNAND for old games. I just don't recommend it.

If you legitimately buy newer games, you will use them with either of your emuNANDs. You must use your clean emuNAND if you want to play it online.

Reactions: NoNAND and wiewiec

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
The main purpose of your sysNAND is to launch the warmboot browser exploit so you can boot into one of your emuNANDs. I personally wouldn't do anything else with it, because you don't want to accidentally mess it up and/or update it.

That being said, you can use your 4.1.0 sysNAND for old games. I just don't recommend it.

If you legitimately buy newer games, you will use them with either of your emuNANDs. You must use your clean emuNAND if you want to play it online.

Is the only difference between an offline emuNAND and an online emuNAND in that you don't install NSPs on the latter? Should the online emuNAND also be a partition of 29-something GB on my microSD?

Also while h2testw is running (30 mins left), I figured I'd plan ahead and ask, how does an ipatched person like me update emuNAND? gRoberts claimed he'd used his Crash Team Racing cartridge. In another thread, somebody used the phrase 'FA cartidge" as a way to update nand. What does 'FA' stand for? Can the update be done without a cartridge?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the only difference between an offline emuNAND and an online emuNAND in that you don't install NSPs on the latter?
Yes. You should not do anything hack-related on the clean emuNAND. You should do anything hack-related on the dirty emuNAND.

Should the online emuNAND also be a partition of 29-something GB on my microSD?
Yes.

Also while h2testw is running (30 mins left), I figured I'd plan ahead and ask, how does an ipatched person like me update emuNAND? gRoberts claimed he'd used his Crash Team Racing cartridge. In another thread, somebody used the phrase 'FA cartidge" as a way to update nand. What does 'FA' stand for? Can the update be done without a cartridge?
A clean emuNAND should be updated in the system settings. A dirty emuNAND should be updated with ChoiDujourNX.

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
Running guiformat to convert to fat32, what should be the allocation unit size? 4,096 or something else?

Been trying to do the partitioning with AOMEI again, and fsr after I create two partitions, it only gives me access to the smaller one on my PC, meaning I can't move my Switch files back to the bigger partition. Any solutions in mind before I start trying to figure things out with MiniTool Partition Wizard tomorrow morning?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)