IOS58 installation confusion

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by j0e2, Dec 16, 2010.

Dec 16, 2010

IOS58 installation confusion by j0e2 at 6:59 PM (1,918 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. j0e2
    OP

Newcomer j0e2 Member

i want to put the WiiMC app as a channel. when i run the WiiMC channel installer, it says i have IOS38 installed and it needs IOS58

so i used DOP-Mii but it says i have ios58 installed - but it says i am running ios38

so i'm confused - how do i get ios58 to be "running" instead of "installed"?

2. fattest

Member fattest GBAtemp Fan

United States
    what ios is hbc using? if its not using ios58 reinstall using hackmii installer

3. j0e2
    OP

Newcomer j0e2 Member

it's using ios38 it says

i'll try your suggestion, i installed HBC years ago so i have never used hackmii before

edit - ok i downloaded hackmii but there are no instructions. i'm not sure what to do. is there a page somewhere that explains how to use this? there are .elf files which i don't know how to run. it says to "run it from the homebrew channel" but there are no .dol files.

4. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    An ELF is the basically same thing as a DOL. Run the boot.elf as you would any boot.dol.

5. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    download the bootmii package from bootmii.org, then go to the download page and download. then open the .zip and extract the boot.elf to the root of of your sd card ie (E:)

6. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    In actual fact, DOL files are native Wii binaries, whereas ELF files are a universal binary format. In homebrew terms, DOL files are just ELF files with an ELF load wrapped around them, and are fairly pointless. AFAIK, ELFs should always be smaller, as every homebrew DOL has the entire ELF file inside, plus a bit more, and there should be no difference. I don't really know why apps are usually distributed as DOL files...

7. j0e2
    OP

Newcomer j0e2 Member

ah great, now i get it

successfully upgraded, wiiMC channel installed, everything is perfect

thanks for the help!

8. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

It's actually the other way around - a .dol file is an .elf file without the ELF header and will most likely be smaller. ELF files may also contain extra debugging information if they haven't been stripped, which is why when you compile a program using devkitppc you end up with a large .elf file and a smaller .dol.
    I don't think either format can be considered more "native" as IOS can load both formats into memory and run them on the powerpc.

9. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    My bad. Guess I misunderstood how it worked. Thanks for the explanation.