Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
QUOTE said:
changing something as big as the authentication mechanism is a huge step.
They are not changing the authentication mechanism, they have been fixing a flaw in their RSA implementation legit software will never have had anything to do with.

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This whole issue is strange, no matter how soon Nintendo puts an update out.

If Nintendo really wanted to fix this bug, why put out IOS-37 out so soon? If it really does what people say it can do, why did they basically put out the equivalent of a warning? "HEY WE'RE GONNA FIX THIS BUG SOMETIME, SO BETTER HURRY UP ON YOUR LITTLE FIRMWARE HACK THINGS MUWAHAHAHA!"

Seriously, it Nintendo was really serious, they would have just put it on a major game (like Brawl), and not only put on IOS-37 then, but IMMEDIATELY activate it.

This leads me to one of the following:

1: Nintendo is stupid and foolishly set things up too early.
2: IOS-37 doesn't do what people say it will do.

If by chance it really is #1, given how much notice the hackers have had, I'm sure CFW will come into being, much like the PSP.

Seriously though, how many attempts have Nintendo made to stop piracy as of late? A board revision for the DS Lite (which stopped PassMe v1s), a board revision on the GC (which only changed the solder joints), and a board revision on the Wii (which also affected solder joints).

Protection mechanisms only stop/hurt honest people.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sotoro said:
Bob Evil said:
Sotoro said:
No company would bricking their own systems.

Why not?

They have already had the money for your console, and you are pirating and not bringing them any more revenue ... so why shouldn't they brick your machine?

Never heard the word "Image"? They would get so much bad press, even MS is only banning the online game...

Yeah, cos the headline "Nintendo stamps down on pirates" is such a bad image for them, amongst legitimate game buyers ...

Only pirates would be hurt ... and they are a tiny fraction of the game playing community ...

Joe Public would laugh their righteous asses off at the thought of all the pirates sat around the world with dead Wii consoles, and tell themselves how right they are for never having modded their consoles, or played a pirated game ...

You people truly are clueless ...

lou_weed

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Bob Evil said:
Sotoro said:
Bob Evil said:
Sotoro said:
No company would bricking their own systems.

Why not?

They have already had the money for your console, and you are pirating and not bringing them any more revenue ... so why shouldn't they brick your machine?

Never heard the word "Image"? They would get so much bad press, even MS is only banning the online game...

Yeah, cos the headline "Nintendo stamps down on pirates" is such a bad image for them, amongst legitimate game buyers ...

Only pirates would be hurt ... and they are a tiny fraction of the game playing community ...

Joe Public would laugh their righteous asses off at the thought of all the pirates sat around the world with dead Wii consoles, and tell themselves how right they are for never having modded their consoles, or played a pirated game ...

When you see that Nintendo and M$ are fighting on the 10 million PR , ( M$ says its first to cross the 10 mil line , and Nintendo says they're the fastest to cross it , all in the same month) , the pirates are about 10-15% of that , and Nintendo won't risk their first successful home console in years, by such a move, which will drop them to second/last place.

Another point :
- A lot of wii gamers are casual gamers (not a lot of knowledge in computers etc.)
- "Casual" gamers do not usually buy Zelda TP.. of course they wouldnt
- The overall mess one without much knowledge in computers has to go through , in order to install a 5-10$ wiiware/VC game , is too much.
In fact , if I didn't own a chipped wii nor Zelda TP original (which I wouldnt buy especially for the hack) I wouldnt even think twice before buying those games.. Hell , Its just a few dollars.. You can buy the whole WiiWare launch library in the price of one game.

elfsander

Trophies
Website
microse.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nintendo WILL NOT brick your console. They are simply not allowed to do that. Since it's your property. They can/will however stop pirated channels / Wii Freeloader to work. They might even ban you from WFC.

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Bob Evil said:

You don't honestly think that Nintendo are going to send some code down the phone lines of people with WAD's installed that stops their Wiis from turning on do you?

In a few months time they'll have sold 50 million Wiis. 50,000,000!!! They have dozens of million+ selling games. They aren't bothered with a couple of thousand pirates, it's insignificant, as you said, a tiny fraction.

Also, Joe Public won't be laughing their righteous asses off once they start buying these online banned wiis from Ebay or other places.

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
Bob Evil said:

when has this happened in the past? people were happy when MS did it with the xbox with mass bannings, due to the fact it removed 99% of xbox live hackers.
Sure some blogger sites will make a fuss, but im sure the average person wont care

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
My stupidity meter is off the scale in this thread.

1) IOS37 is real as can be. If you have a NTSC console, use homebrew tools to extract your firmware and look at it yourself.
2) IOS37 doesn't brick your Wii - all stuff that exploits the bug just stops working (that includes homebrew and Freeloader).
3) There are plenty of reasons Nintendo hasn't activated the code yet.

First you're all so paranoid about your Wii getting bricked, later you completely change sides and claim new IOS is bullshit. Come on, people.
lecture.gif

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
MaHe said:
My stupidity meter is off the scale in this thread.

1) IOS37 is real as can be. If you have a NTSC console, use homebrew tools to extract your firmware and look at it yourself.
2) IOS37 doesn't brick your Wii - all stuff that exploits the bug just stops working (that includes homebrew and Freeloader).
3) There are plenty of reasons Nintendo hasn't activated the code yet.

First you're all so paranoid about your Wii getting bricked, later you completely change sides and claim new IOS is bullshit. Come on, people.
lecture.gif

I think the main point of the thread is why is it sitting there dormant not being used. No one has explained that.

Nintendo are not stupid. They know it wouldn't go unnoticed in the hacking world, it was never going to be a stealth patch. Hackers spotted it instantly. Why send it out in an update if it's not used, just so hackers can have a look at it? Answer that.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Hardcore Gamer said:
I think the main point of the thread is why is it sitting there dormant not being used. No one has explained that.

Nintendo are not stupid. They know it wouldn't go unnoticed in the hacking world, it was never going to be a stealth patch. Hackers spotted it instantly. Why send it out in an update if it's not used, just so hackers can have a look at it? Answer that.

3 people noticed it.

And it was probably a warning to Datel so that they would not press USA and JPN versions of their freeloader.

lou_weed

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
MaHe said:

OK , I'll see the IOS37 string.
But did you look through the assembler code and figured out it blockes the trucha bug ?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
lou_weed said:
But did you look through the assembler code and figured out it blockes the trucha bug ?

That sentence shows you have no idea about programming concepts, let alone disassembly. Almost as bad as people thinking Javascript and Java are related.

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
Hardcore Gamer said:

3 people noticed it.

And it was probably a warning to Datel so that they would not press USA and JPN versions of their freeloader.

Anyone who ran the program Title Lister noticed it. And besides, it only takes one person to notice it before everyone else then notices it. The fact is, thousands now know it's there now. It's said that in future, the menu will start to use IOS37 to stop trucha, but why not send it out then, why now?

Datel are still selling Freeloader, they don't look like they've been warned off.

lou_weed

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
arctic_flame said:
lou_weed said:

That sentence shows you have no idea about programming concepts, let alone disassembly. Almost as bad as people thinking Javascript and Java are related.

FYI I'm a software engineer, and your post (beside being stupid for semantics - I just meant machine code , which is a general term) doesn't have anything to do with the fact that only 2-3 people have actually looked thru the code , which have an interest of not being accused in starting the whole wii piracy thing by discovering the bug.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
lou_weed said:
FYI I'm a software engineer, and your post (beside being stupid for semantics - I just meant machine code , which is a general term) doesn't have anything to do with the fact that only 2-3 people have actually looked thru the code , which have an interest of not being accused in starting the whole wii piracy thing by discovering the bug.
We're talking about the Trucha signer sigcheck bug, right?
Piracy started before the bug was announced, and will continue even after it's fixed. No problems there for whoever discovered the bug.
There's also fact that is was discovered by several people independently, and the fact that bushing, segher and marcan didn't release it when they discovered it, rather kept it to themselves so they could delve further into the system and develop the Twilight hack.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Following the arrests Nintendo issued a warning to anyone thinking of chipping their Wii. A Nintendo insider said: “A chipped Wii might sound cool but it is useless. The latest Wii extravaganza, seeing Mario back in a racer at the front of the pack, Mario Kart Wii, would be useless on a chipped Wii. You’ll never get the interaction or support when it all unravels. You’d have to be pretty stupid to think online gaming won’t be easily log-able in such digital days! Chip it and you brick it, as we say around the office. There is only one real Wii experience – and it doesn’t come chipped!”

Source

Well, they hate piracy, that's for sure. May have been an empty threat though, and it doesn't appear to apply to the Twilight Hack. Though I think as soon as Wiis with the Twilight Hack can boot ISOs (may or may not happen I guess), they'll probably bring about some kind of online ban or block. Until then, it's only a small corner of their market being threatened by the Trucha-Signing bug.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1