Hacking IOS36 question

Kovani

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there. Since I’m on an LU64 model, I really want to be careful so I’m going to ask you a question to know if it is possible. I have no problem at all with my Nintendo Wii so far. A long time ago, I’ve installed everything with the cboot2 method. I’m not quite sure what cboot2 did on my Wii, but I suppose it patches IOS36 to put the trucha bug back in or maybe cboot2 installed an old version of IOS36 that contains the trucha bug. Maybe cboot2 did something else, but I remember I had to put a file on my SD card with v1042 which is an IOS36 version.

In case cboot2 installed an old version of IOS36, I’m wondering if it is possible to install the newest version of that IOS over the previous version by using a WAD and then use Trucha Bug Restorer to patch it back.

This idea might be stupid, but I’m the kind of guy who wants everything up to date. So, my question is, if I’m right by saying that I have an old version of IOS36 (I can be wrong), is it safe to use the method I’ve explained since I’m on an LU64 model? By the way, my system menu version is 4.1U and I’ve installed cboot2 while I was 4.0U. According to WiiBrew IOS history, there is v1042, v3090 and v3094.

Thank you in advance.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If I recall correctly, I don't think cboot2 really needed to install any official IOS on your system. I think the point of it was to be able to run a wad manager that ran off of an older IOS that was on the SD card and not on the actual system so you can install something like the LU64fix.wad which is basically cIOS rev11 in wad form I believe.

That cIOS would have installed to IOS249, not touching any of your official IOS's. Then now, if you did install that and haven't updated it already, you can install cIOS rev14 using IOS249 to update your cIOS to that.

Then if you want to be sure you have your other IOS's all accounted for and up to date, you can run dop-IOS v7 and scroll through the list of IOS's to see what the version the one on your system is and the version that the most recent one out is.

If any are out of date you can have it install the newer version through wifi and just say no to patching in the sig hash check into it because you don't really need the trucha bug in most normal IOS's aside from maybe IOS60 for loading channel wad's from the SD card menu and in IOS36 along with ES_Identify for some other things that may need that.

Be wary if you do install that IOS60 from there while having preloader, it will say your system menu is corrupt, and you would have to reinstall preloader to fix it.

Kovani

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If cboot2 didn’t patch and/or install IOS36, why I was able to install cIOS rev14 the day it came out? Correct me if I’m wrong, but IOS36 needs to be patched in order to install that. I never used Trucha Bug Restorer or dop-IOS.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You need one IOS with trucha bug to run the cIOS installer. The rev14 installer works with every one of these, old IOS, downgraded IOS, IOS16, or the temporary IOS you get with cBoot2.

To get the latest IOS36, just use Trucha Bug Restorer. You can choose to install a patched one that allows most system relevant homebrew to work, or the unpatched version.

Kovani

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does that mean as long as I have an old IOS249, cIOS installer will work? It can’t be an official IOS, because I always did official updates and every IOS should be trucha fixed and untouched. If that is the case, I think I have my answer. IOS36 should be at the latest version. I’m pretty happy then to have my Nintendo Wii as clean as possible, since LU64 are risky. As long as your NeoGamma works, I’m good. I don’t want to take the risk to install WADs or something like that, even if they are safe to use.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kovani said:
Does that mean as long as I have an old IOS249, cIOS installer will work? It can’t be an official IOS, because I always did official updates and every IOS should be trucha fixed and untouched. If that is the case, I think I have my answer. IOS36 should be at the latest version. I’m pretty happy then to have my Nintendo Wii as clean as possible, since LU64 are risky. As long as your NeoGamma works, I’m good. I don’t want to take the risk to install WADs or something like that, even if they are safe to use.

Yes, the cIOS installer only needs the trucha bug, not specifically an IOS36 with the trucha bug. If you installed that LU64fix.wad or something like that with cboot2, you would have installed cIOS rev11 to IOS249 which ALSO has the trucha bug. Then when running cIOS rev14 you would have selected IOS249 to use and it should have installed successfully.

As I said before, if you're REALLY that concerned about whether you have the most recent IOS or not, you can run dop-IOS v7 through the HBC and at least just scroll through all of the IOS's there and clearly see what IOS version you have and what IOS version is the most recent.

Pretty much the only extra risk involved in LU64+ Wii's are trying to use outdated methods to get the trucha bug or trying to downgrade your Wii or install older IOS's in the wrong manner. Just having an IOS that isn't FULLY up to date isn't going to kill your Wii if it was like that to begin with.

The Trucha Bug Restorer is safe to use on LU64+ Wii's and DOES install the latest IOS36 and then can restore the IOS15 that it modifies back to normal afterwards. You already have a cIOS installed so you DO have the trucha bug on IOS249 though, so unless you really need to use something that would need anything other than that, you should be fine as you are now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1