Ios249 stub, why?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mauifrog, Apr 16, 2010.

Apr 16, 2010

Ios249 stub, why? by mauifrog at 7:09 AM (3,661 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. mauifrog
    OP

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    This is probably a stupid question, but I am having trouble understanding why we need to delete stub ios249 before cIOS install. Why will a patched ios36 not install over the stub? With a patched ios36 you can downgrade other ios, but when used with the cios installer- it fails. But if you use ios250 it will pass and install over the stub. Is it a limitation of the ios, or some hickup in the cIOS installer? Because I really think that uninstalling the stub should be unnecessary. Not looking for stupid comments, so do restrain yourself.

2. urherenow

Member urherenow GBAtemp Addict

United States
    It might depend on what IOS the installer is using. If you're just starting to hack your Wii (of which the first thing you do after installing HBC and Bootmii is to fix IOS249) There is no patched IOS to start with yet. No official IOS will allow you to install the same or older version of an IOS. If IOS version is

3. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany

4. mauifrog
    OP

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    That is good info WiiPower, thank you. So, this took me to my wii to do some testing. This is what I found-
    Ios36 patched, can upgrade an ios, but can not downgrade an ios without uninstalling first. error -1035
    Ios38 patched, can upgrade an ios, and can downgrade an ios without error, without uninstalling
    Ios250 (cIOS38-r17), same as ios38

Tested all 3 ios in wadmanager and cIOS i
    Installer. So I guess that answered my question, sorta of, ios36 kinda sucks compared to ios38.

Don't know about the other ios.

Could it be possible to TBR ios38 instead of ios36? Or no.

Mute point, but I think we should be able to install anything we like without deleting any stubs first.

5. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    It's bacause the IOS checks if the version of the title it's about to install is same asor higher then the already installed version of the same title.

if it's not, IOS will give error -1035 "title version is lower then version you have installed".
    Stub 249 has a version of 0xFF00 (65280 decimal), compared to the latest version of IOS249 which is 19.

Waninkoko removed that check when making cIOS249, but nobody else has done that.
    So, TBR would have to remove this version check from IOS36 before installing it, in order to install titles such as cIOS249 without deleting the existing one.

I'll try to find the needed patch and post it here if I find it.

EDIT:
    Here you go:

Disable Title version Check:
    Search for bytes:
    D2 01 4E 56
    Replace with:
    E0 01 4E 56

WiiPower, do you think you would add this to TBR?

6. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    I will try it out if/when i update TBR.