ios222? what is it? do i need it?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by priapism, Apr 7, 2009.

Apr 7, 2009
  1. priapism
    OP

Member priapism GBAtemp Fan

United States
    what is ios222?

i thought i was all set with USB compatibility when i installed cios36 rev9 but now i hear all of this talk about ios222. i don't have an HDD yet but i plan on getting one soon and i want to be properly set up.

do i need ios222? does it install with a USB program that is floating around or do i have to install it as a separate ios?

thanks in advance.

2. ekolimits

Member ekolimits GBAtemp Regular

United States
    yeah i would like to know if it really stops the hdd from sleeping.

3. priapism
    OP

Member priapism GBAtemp Fan

United States
    whoa!

where did you find this thread?

anyway, at the time that i asked this question the answer was that it allowed games to be played from an HDD through the USB. it was replaced by cIOS36 rev9.
    now i think it has an entirely different purpose too.

what kind of HDD do you have (i can't help you i am just curious)?

4. marinos35

Member marinos35 GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    cIOS usb2 for backups = ios222
    cIOS usb2 for homebrew = ios202
    cIOS for woriking usb loader = ios249 (cIOS 36 v9 for usb loader 1.1 and cIOS 36 v10 for 1.2-1.5)

cIOS for working usb loader + usb2 speed = ios249 + ios222

I hope this will clear things up

5. marinos35

Member marinos35 GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    double post [​IMG] damn you refresh

6. erolz

Member erolz GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    is this true?
    do you need ios222 to get a good working usb loader with usb2 speed?
    will this really fix the Mario Galaxy problem?

7. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    it's just another cios for usb support. you don't actually need and it does not give you higher speeds.
    it just has a different compatibility

8. erolz

Member erolz GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    ok. so i just can install this together with Ciosrev9 and it will fix the Galaxy hang problems?

9. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Sure, you can install it. It wil not affect cios249 (from which rev10 is out by the way)
    But the loader has to be compatible with ios222. if believe uloader is one the few.
    And I don't know if it will fix the problems you are having. That may be just your hard drive going into sleep mode.

10. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    From the name of it, IOS222, you see where and as what it is installed, so stop asking quesitons like: "Does it overwrite xy, can i have IOS222 and IOS249 at the same time................"

There are actually at least 2 different IOS222 around one from Kwiirk and one from Hermes(?). The latest IOS222 allows you to use usb microphones and usb lan adapters while playing games from usb.

And IOS222 and Waninkoko's cIOS both run at usb2.0.

11. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    check out the uloader thread for more info

12. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom

I had a read up on Hermes cIOS for a bit and it seems to be great fixing some spindown probs and fixing the USB mics problems so now you can run games from USB2 that use the mic no problems at all. I think we'll be seeing a lot more from this talented dude [​IMG] I think I also read that now we can use USB2 hubs too, but it was all in spanish and my translator was a bit mental [​IMG]

I think he has revised it a few times, but I myself was confused a bit by talk of "merging 2 IOS" , not sure if it was meant he did, or the user needs to but from some posts it seemed like people need to install two IOS to 1 slot, I thought that would overwrite with whatever was installed last? I read more when I get time. [​IMG]

13. WiiPower

Germany
    I he would write in english one could ask him, but this way...

About the merging, i think he just takes the IOS36 dip and the rest of IOS37/IOS38 when merging.

14. the

Newcomer the Advanced Member

Russia
    Is there a thread here dedicated to Kwiirk's version of IOS222, where I could read and discuss "pros and cons"? At least how to install it, and where the installer is located?

15. WiiPower

Germany
    Kwiirks's IOS222 is a little old, get Hermes for Rock Band if you need it and figure out which of the cIOS from Waninkoko works best for you.

16. wiiman123

Member wiiman123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
  17. the

Newcomer the Advanced Member

Russia
    Hi wiiman123

I already have CIOS36 rev10 installed on my console, and it works fine when I use almost any USB loader with my portable USB drive Transcend StoreJet 2.5 IDE.

The problem came when I changed the drive to Seagate Freeagent Xtreme 1.5TB, which was not recognizable at all until I had installed IOS222 by Hermes, and since that time I am able to play games from WBFS partition using uLoader by Hermes.

So the driver and the loader by Hermes do solve the issue, but I personally dislike the look and feel of uLoader.
    I used to play games via custom channel created with Loadstructor, but it can create a channel for playing via IOS222 only using uLoader, and it looks nasty from end user perspective. I cannot get other loaders working with IOS222

That's why I am looking for any possible alternatives of IOS222 by Hermes assuming that those alternatives will allow me to use other loaders, which might be more convenient for me

18. wiiman123

Member wiiman123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    Im not really into usb/backup loaders ... don't use them. So I don't really know which one is the best alternative. Only use homebrew and mplayer ce.

But you might want to take a look here. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=145312