IOS202 Needed for DVD Playback in WiiMC

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by tonyrayo, Sep 20, 2011.

Sep 20, 2011
  1. tonyrayo
    OP

Member tonyrayo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey guys, just modded my recently bought Wii (don't know why but I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the SNES, I have a version all of the handhelds short of the 3DS though) this weekend. I installed WiiMC via HBB and noticed it said I needed IOS202 to be able to play DVDs (I checked and I don't have that IOS installed, nor can it be optionally installed with ModMii - the program that help me do all the dirty work in the first place). Now I have a million other devices that can play DVDs, but just for the sake of completeness, can IOS202 be installed on my system and if so, would this fix the error I get on playback of WiiMC (using the latest build atm). If not I can just disable the "Play DVDs" icon in the options. If any further information is needed to assist just let me know. Thanks =).

2. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

If it's a "recently bought Wii" it won't play DVDs no matter what you do.

3. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

...Unless he got it from a second-hand shop. If you bought a brand new Wii, it won't play DVDs unless you swap the disc drive with one from an older Wii model.

4. Red_Gh0st

Member Red_Gh0st GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I thought you needed IOS58 for WiiMC to work. Isn't the IOS202 WiiMC outdated?

5. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    the last official WiiMC to use 202 was 1.0.6. we are now on 1.2.0. there is a 1.1.8 Mod beta which (re)added 202 support as well....

WiiMC uses AHBPROT [58]

6. Red_Gh0st

Member Red_Gh0st GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for clearing this up. I never use WiiMC so I'm not very interested and what is added/removed

7. tonyrayo
    OP

Member tonyrayo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I did pick it up as a refurbished model (which means technically it could contain any drive inside), but according to the serial # and the Wii Drive Chip DB...
    It wasn't meant to be (I need to snag one of those Panasonic DVD-enabled Gamecubes =p).