Homebrew WIP ioquake3-nx - an ioquake3 port

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Amazing update, that gyro feature is great. How come an old game like this plays so well and looks better than many of the 'new' games? Same with quake 2 - these are the best games on the switch and they are not even for it, some devs should take note. Now we just need Return to Castle Wolfenstein to be playable and my life will be complete :-).

Reactions: Csmrcc

fgsfds

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Sadly RTCW probably won't happen, unless devkitpro adds dynamic lib support to the toolchain or I figure out another half-assed solution. Enemy Territory is probably possible though, there are QVM versions of the game code for that, not sure how complete.

Kercyx

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi ! Thanks a lot for the hard work, it's really amazing! The gyro aim is very cool but looking right or left when the joycons are not attached (in bluetooth mode) doesn't seem to work properly or is it just for me ? I would be so happy to play this on my tv with gyro aiming ^^ Thanks again !

benthrottle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Version 0.3.0 released. Thanks to @aksyn / jfenton for PRing gyroscope controls and other fixes.
Notable changes:
  • basic gyroscope aiming:
    • disabled by default, enable in Setup -> Controls;
    • sensitivity is controlled by the console variables in_gyromouse_pitch and in_gyromouse_yaw;
    • set in_gyromouse_yaw_axis to 1 to map gyro yaw to turning instead of roll.
  • menu and console controls have been tweaked:
    • cursor moves slower in menus and you can now select items with the DPAD and X button as an alternative;
    • you can now bring up the console while in menus using the Y button;
    • you can now actually enter console commands by pressing A after inputting them.
  • old incorrect NWindow handling routines have been thrown out, should now crash less;
  • synced with upstream and rebuilt with latest libnx (9.0.0 support).
Download link is in the OP.

I'm sorry to bump this but... Could you please confirm what setting under q3config inverts the gyro aiming? I tried removing the "minus" under pitch and yaw parameters to no luck and I ran out of ideas.

fgsfds

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Setting in_gyromouse_pitch to a value with a different sign should do that. Where did you set that? Console or config?

benthrottle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Setting in_gyromouse_pitch to a value with a different sign should do that. Where did you set that? Console or config?

Thanks. I managed to make it work by setting Pitch to a positive value and Yaw to a negative value, while also setting "invert mouse" under the in game menu.
Didn't manage to win a Hardcore match yet though lol.
Using -50 pitch and +80 yaw for fast movement.

Great stuff. The joycon (attachable joysticks) should be a standard for the industry.

Btw, does you GZDOOM port supports gyro? I tried to find a setting to no luck.

RuThaN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried a lot, but i never got it working on Atmosphere 19.3 + Hekate 5.5.6 and Firmware 11 or 12.. always just error occurred screen - without any error code, even crash file doesnt exists..
Im quite sure that directory structure is fine. I played Quake 3 on everything possible.

BTW i dunno why but in HB channel is old 2018 version for Q2, which is no more working.

Last edited by RuThaN,

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I tried a lot, but i never got it working on Atmosphere 19.3 + Hekate 5.5.6 and Firmware 11 or 12.. always just error occurred screen - without any error code, even crash file doesnt exists..
Im quite sure that directory structure is fine. I played Quake 3 on everything possible.

I dunno why but in HB channel is old 2018 version, which is no more working.
i suppose it needs to be recompiled with latest libnx. (Or you can still play it using atmos <19.0. I'm on 10.2 and atmos 18.1 and it's working just fine.)

And also the latest update to q3-nx was on Sep 18, 2019.
https://github.com/fgsfdsfgs/ioq3/releases/tag/v0.3.0-nx

Last edited by bad361,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol