Hacking invisibleSHIELD, any good?

telephony

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the reviews I've read on this are dated over a year old. invisibleSHIELD is a full body (or just screen protectors) skin that covers and protects your ds/dsl from scratches. I'm just wondering if anyone bought this recently, because on their site, it shows that their full body skin covers almost everything, except the hinge. But the reviews dated over a year old shows that this doesn't cover the area around the d-pad and ABXY/start/select buttons, so maybe they upgraded it or something. I couldn't find new reviews to confirm this, or gotten a response from them yet. Are there any other alternatives out there that people know about? I'd like a full body skin that covers the d-pad and buttons as well. Bestskinsever looks like it used to cover that area, but it seems they removed it completely.

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Do you have any links? Go for just the external casing, cause it's kinda hard to scratch the inside of your DS while playing. Get like NERF armour to protect your DS from dropping it, etc. No need to worry about the inside, that's why the DS closes.
biggrin.gif

telephony

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Invisibleshield is a thin, stretchy plastic that covers the ds lite. Here's the invisibleshield from their website, http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/NTNDSLF.html. Expensive as hell...
hate2.gif

I'm guessing the light blue is where they are saying they cover, but reviews says the dpad/buttons aren't covered (http://www.gamershell.com/articles/1010.html). If you google "invisibleshield" and "ds lite", most search results are reviews of it.
I'm not worried about getting scratches as I am about just keeping it clean. The pad and buttons are going to be one of the areas you touch most with your hands. My friend has a black ds lite and you can see all the oil smudges from playing so much.
unsure.gif

TheNeck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have the invisibleshield for the psp and its great, im sure the ds lite one is just as good, but for alot cheaper you can get this full body kit, DS Lite Full Body Skin, which is exactly the same, the only difference is the price, i got 2 full body kits one for my ds lite and one for my daughters ds lite and it works great, the only problem if you have a black ds lite, like i do, if you dont get all the air bubbles out you really notice them because of the black color, not a big deal but thought you might want to know.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have the invisibleshield for the psp and its great, im sure the ds lite one is just as good, but for alot cheaper you can get this full body kit, DS Lite Full Body Skin, which is exactly the same, the only difference is the price, i got 2 full body kits one for my ds lite and one for my daughters ds lite and it works great, the only problem if you have a black ds lite, like i do, if you dont get all the air bubbles out you really notice them because of the black color, not a big deal but thought you might want to know.

Yes the bubbles were a problem. I actually didn't even try to get some small ones out since the instructions said they would evaporate, but looks like they don't
tongue.gif

Nalin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it for my DS Lite recently. I really like it and it does come with a lifetime warranty. I got the full body shield and I will tell you exactly how it covered my unit.

On the outside of the unit, it covers the entire bottom of the unit except for a little tiny section above the battery cover. It also covers the top; however, the raised DS logo isn't covered. The small inside squares are covered, but the raised border is not covered. From the top, it also covers half of the hinge. It stops once it reaches the outlined gap (best I can explain it.) It also covers both sides of the unit and the GBA cart that comes with the unit (the empty cart that fills the gap.) It does NOT cover the LEDs nor anything in back of the unit (the slot 1 port, shoulder buttons, and power supply plug in is what I refer to as the back of the unit.) That entire section (and the part that extends to the bottom of the unit) isn't covered.

Opening it up, on the top portion, the screen is protected and the sides are protected too. There is a hole in the invisibleSHIELD for the speakers. It doesn't cover the ENTIRE portion, though. There is a gap above and below the top screen. The shield is actually 3 pieces for the top. Same as the bottom. It is 3 pieces. One covers the area around the dpad, but not the dpad itself. The other covers the area around the buttons, but not the buttons themselves, nor the area in between the buttons. It is just a clover cutout. The final pieces protects the screen. The little area around the screen isn't covered nor is the area below the screen (extending to the end of the unit.)

I personally like the stuff. It is fairly hard to see and is non-intrusive. Plus the stuff actually works very well. The only hard part is installing it. It is VERY hard to do a perfect install. I have bought the product twice: once for a Cowon D2 and the second for my DS Lite. Both times I juuuust ran out of the applicator liquid. It was REALLY cutting it close. I ended up spraying a little bit on and rubbing it around. They really should give you more liquid. Also, dust is a major issue. If you get dust underneath the shield, you had better hope that kind of stuff doesn't bother you. And, if you try to peel it off once it has started to dry to get dust out, it doesn't go back on right. It stretches and looks terrible. The corner of the top screen on my DS is a little... messed up because of that. The good thing is that the brightness of the DS screen makes it nearly impossible to see the deficiency when playing a game.

So, in conclusion, this stuff is great. It really works and does what they claim it does. The only problem is that it is a) expensive, and b) fairly difficult to make a good install. This stuff is built to stay on for the life of the product. However, there is a lifetime warranty, so if you need to, say, pull it off to get your Nintendo DS repaired, just send the old stuff back and for a slight fee they will give you a new one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free