Hacking Invisible Shield Product review.

Man18

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wrote a small review below but I would rather just give you tips on how to apply it.

When you first open it you will want to be in a dust free area with a really nice microfiber cloth.

When you open the package make sure you actually remove all of the cut outs other wise you will have a tough time doing so when you are actually applying.

You will run out of solution so keep some distilled clean bottled water on hand and some way of putting it into the small spray bottle.

Remove the battery before doing anything what so ever and leave it out for no less than 24 hours after applying the last part of your protector.

The squeegee that comes with the product is great but does tend to pull on the protector if you dont hold it firmly and can cause more bubbles than it removes.

You must and this can't be stressed enough, leave your DS LITE OPEN!!! Otherwise the inside will not dry as fast and will make it much more difficult to keep everything in place because things will get pulled when you start to do the inside (when you open it the cover will be pulled slightly).

It is a good Idea to remove the slot 2 cover and the stylus during this whole process because it makes it easier to place the slot 2 cover on and will allow you to put on the back plate cover easier.

There are small things that look like they should be used but dont use them. The top has 2 blocks made to look like screens, you have the option to place 2 small squares in there which I did but you can, but shouldn't, put on the small part that covers up the actual area around the 2 small blocks which will not fit right and will not allow you to place the whole top cover on correctly. This problem will occur a few times that you may notice like the buttons and a few others.

The single most important thing, the thing I with I had done before I did this little project is take about an hour and do this right. Don't let anyone interrupt because I was interrupted a few time in this process and it just drove me up the wall.

One last thing that should actually be on the top of the list is clean your lite. Spend 10-20 mins on just cleaning everything. Make it look brand new before you apply because you will never have a change to clean it again.

I give this product a 6 out of 10 by the way.

PICs will be taken as soon as possible.

The solution - The solution is extremely helpful but they do not provide enough solution to get the job done. The box says to refill the little bottle with water because it will have enough solution still in it to finish the rest. I had to refill once after the orig solution was gone. It actually dries very quickly untill you use water to finish the job and it smells heavily of vinegar before you refill.

The screen protectors feel odd like the stylus is dragging (well the touch screen protector does I didnt test the top screen).

They suggest you put on the smallest parts first then continue with the larger parts but that actually causes problems considering the really small parts can't be put on before the larger parts or else it will hit a snag unless you have a machine placing it for you.

The rest doesn't work well with the matte sadly (A because I was told bubbles will appear after it dries, B it takes longer to dry it seems and C I like the matte feel)

General Opinions-
So far this is a great product. Very easy to apply, no bubbles but like earlier said it doesnt seem to stick as well to the matte Red and Black Brain Age DS Lite (which also has the SL1 point totally encased so it is impossible to touch the screw next to it unless you try to do so).

Problems over praise with this product sadly. I have noticed a few problems (except for the hori screen protectors) mainly while playing with the touch screen it has a bit of a snag problem. It feels like it is snagging even though it just 2 things rubbing together. I put on the batt cover to test the matte and I didnt like the way it feels or looks but I dare not to remove it. I would have been better off just buying the screen protectors because I am very careful with my toys.

Also if this post seems like psychobabble at the moment please forgive me I was trying to write this quickly before I had to leave.

Man18

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Summery

Nice product but you can get better for cheaper. If you are like me and just like what the hardware can do rather than what it looks like I suggest just paying 5$ for a cheap silicon cover and a set of hori screen protectors over this any day. This can cause a glare problem if you are in a bright area so I suggest just putting the case on the outside where it is really needed. Its 20$ well spent and arrived here in only 5 days but not as nice as you would think.

kthankzbye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got mine installed today. Very nice review however I give it a 7/10 because I do not like how it looks on my cobolt/black DS. Why? because the bottom part of my DS is matted and applying this shield makes it look shiny. It's not that bad but when some parts of the DS doesn't get covered it just looks horrible. If you have a white or black DS, it wouldn't mind because it's already glossy. I do not like the screen protector, like R4 said.

Actually I don't have bubbles on the bottom, just micro bubbles on the button rest pad which they said it would disappear in 2-3 days. Hopefuly...

One thing i do like about it is that I don't need to wash my hands anymore to play. I won't have to worry about getting oil on the DS or getting it dirty.

But since IS gives you a lifetime warranty, you can always remove it and get a new one and such. I'm planning on returning my cobolt/black DS for a black one, might look nicer.

Enter260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what can do better for less, op? no other product on the market protects as well as the invisible shield the ones at best skins ever. with the special going on right now at the invisible shield site, you can get it for $10, which comes with a lifetiime warranty. best skins ever is like $10-12 + shipping and no lifetime warranty.

Man18

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Review cont. Today I slid my DS Lite into my pocket for some on the go gaming and it seems that the pocket lint is sticking to the corners of my shield. It doesnt really bother me that much but it is a bit annoying to pick out the lint. The sheild has some adhesive on the sides of the product so it will on occasion pick up hair or lint. The screen protectors still feel weird so I went out to pick up some Hori protectors which work well for cheap. I still enjoy the old pelican or madcatz DS protectors that I put onto my younger sisters DS back in the day because they have held up for years and even better they make a zipping noise when using which fades away during play but drive others nuts.

TO Enter260
The full body shield is 20$ free shipping for the Full body kit and 13 for the Screen savers.
If you were not aware the invisheild are made to protect against scratching which the same effect can be received by paying around 12$ for full body protection.

Today I have found some legit hori protectors for 6$+Tax and will purchase a strong plastic case for 5$ or If I would like I can go up to 10$ and get an actual drop proof case which also helps with scratches. The Invisible Sheild keeps your pretty electronics, pretty. It does not protect from anything than the usual accidental scratch or rub.

ADDITION: Also I have been carrying around a micro fiber cloth because it holds finger prints forever which seem more troublesome now than it did before. Totally worth 20$ but has some flaws which may drive the reg joe nuts. I didnt find the protection up to what I expected so im using extra protection.

Enter260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know what the invisible shield is. i just ordered one for $10 since they had a special (50% off) that has been going on since January or so. for the price ($10) you can't do much better.

Man18

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Easiest way to pull the dust out of the air: Take a hot shower (so you don't just waste water getting the room humid). I always do this before putting screen protectors on and it helps. Also, for a nonstick solution, I just use a bowl of water with a drop of soap in it. Any old credit card works well as a squeegee.

I loved putting the screen protectors on my MP3 player and my DS Lite. I don't know why, I just did XD.

kthankzbye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got mine for $10 also using that special link also. I don't like how it looks on my cobalt DS cause it's matte. If I had like a White or Black DS i wouldn't mind cause it's already glossy. Well I called them for a replacement since I got a defective DS from amazon and they shipped out a new one. But I don't like the touchscreen part, I'll stick with a hori for that.

Enter260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why is the hori better? i've noticed that my ds is almost impossible to play in any kind of sunlight because of the shield. does the hori not suffer that problem?

kthankzbye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have the same kind of protection but I don't like how the stylus feels when the Invisible Shield is on. It's rubbery and not as smooth. The Hori is smooth like nothing is on the touchscreen but still offer the same kind of protection.

Enter260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol. i've actually grown accustomed to the way the invisible shield makes the touch screen. now, when i play a ds without one on, it feels so damn slippery.

mixinluv2u

Trophies
Website
www.glowsticking.com
XP
Country
United States
any of you guys used InvisibleShield for a while (more than 2-3 months)? did you experience discoloration issues like my BestSkinsEver full body skin?

QUOTE said:
here's my BestSkinsEver full body skin that i peeled off. you can see the discoloration. i think the clear case looks MUCH better. yuck!! they are definitely not clear anymore and my DS definitely did not look white. =\
img1764dp0.jpg
img1766go3.jpg
img1767mh5.jpg
img1765mp0.jpg

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
bestskinsever.com have an Invisible Skins clone (claims to be the same material but cheaper). $11 for full body, $6 for just the screens. I have these on my NDSs and they're great. Much better than the stuff from Dealextreme - I know because I've used both. I also have the the skin for my iPod Touch.

Man18

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mixinluv2u said:
any of you guys used InvisibleShield for a while (more than 2-3 months)? did you experience discoloration issues like my BestSkinsEver full body skin?

QUOTE said:
here's my BestSkinsEver full body skin that i peeled off. you can see the discoloration. i think the clear case looks MUCH better. yuck!! they are definitely not clear anymore and my DS definitely did not look white. =\
Its free (well nearly like 4$) to get a new one. Just pay for the 3-4$ shipping charge and you are all set. They have a life time warranty, if anything happens you can trade it in for free but you have to send in the whole thing with like the box i think. If you bought from Invisible Shield then just log in and send them an email saying why you are sending it in to see if your problem is under warranty.\

EDIT: pics removed for size.

mixinluv2u

Trophies
Website
www.glowsticking.com
XP
Country
United States
BestSkinsEver actually have really good customer service. They gave me replacement skins for free right away with no questions. but i didn't feel like putting the new skins on only to have it change color again in like 3 months.

i know BestSkinsEver supposedly use the exact same material as InvisibleShield. That's why i was wondering if InvisibleShield would also have the discoloration issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16