Inventor of Lithium-Ion battery unveils new glass-based battery

Pleng

Custom Title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
John B. Goodenough, pioneer of the Lithium-Ion battery has shown off a new battery technology based on sodium- or lithium-coated glass electrolytes. The new technology is claimed to hold three times as much capacity as the Lithium-Ion battery, take just minutes to complete a full charge cycle and endures far more cycles than it's hopefully soon-to-be predecessor.

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/94-old-inventor-lithium-ion-034245048.html

Thoughts: The article talks about the potential this technology has in revolutionising electric car technology, which is clearly a great potential use. But I guess on here we're more excited about the prospect of the potential for our phones, laptops and portable gaming devices.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best part of this is how inexpensive or easy it will be to acquire the material for this. For lithium-ion the lithium salt has to be grounded up and concentrated to a point where it's useable material for a battery to function and it's not easy to get in the first place.

I forgot the exacts but this should help fill the blanks.
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-lithium-polymer-batteries-are-made

Last edited by RemixDeluxe,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So a normal enough battery pack is say 3.7V and holds 3200mAh or 3.2Ah, assuming this new tech matches that (and apparently it might triple it for the same... density, volume, mass? Article appears not to say but this is a quick back of the envelope thing, alternatively we will assume lifetime is good enough as is and they third the storage).

I am not sure what minutes is supposed to be. If it wants to be 10 minutes then assuming lossless charging that means an average charge current of 19.2A, plenty doable but likely a fair departure from what people are used to. 20 minutes halves that but it is still not inconsiderable.

Still I hope to see this amount to something. Might even want to invest in battery powered tools if this gets pulled off. Should even be able to do a fair line in retrofitting things. Wonder if I could do an electric motorbike worth speaking of...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To say they are a dumb problem would imply that is one that is readily solved by some means. If you have a solution to it then by all means share, or better yet do something with it as it would be pretty sweet to say I once had a debate about the quality of phantasy star with a nobel prize winner.

Anyway to answer the questions I would say that all those failure modes are possibilities again, the explosion stuff (assuming you mean spectacular failure rather than explosion) by virtue of the energy stored alone, though the article above specifically mentions a lack of the dendrite growth which current lithium tech seems to struggle with for storage potential and also cause some runaway reactions. Speaking of reactions I don't know what the chemistry for this is but I would be surprised if a buildup of gas is not an option.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Research into new battery technologies is nothing new, every now and then I check for any news on the subject. One technology promised 4x the energy density of current lithium cells, but nothing ever came of it.
The fact that this is invented by the same person who invented Li-Ion cells makes it seem promising, but it could end up never being mass produced due to unforeseen issues.
Developing a new battery technology is one thing, but making it viable is another. Other technologies have ended up never being mass produced for one reason or another, and the same thing could very well happen to this.
This might be the thing that finally makes smartwatches useful. My pebble would only last 4 days between charges when I got it, which is way too short for a watch IMO. More advanced smartwatches last even shorter. Pretty much every mobile device would benefit greatly from a new battery technology, so I really hope this ends up being mass produced.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
To say they are a dumb problem would imply that is one that is readily solved by some means. If you have a solution to it then by all means share, or better yet do something with it as it would be pretty sweet to say I once had a debate about the quality of phantasy star with a nobel prize winner.

Anyway to answer the questions I would say that all those failure modes are possibilities again, the explosion stuff (assuming you mean spectacular failure rather than explosion) by virtue of the energy stored alone, though the article above specifically mentions a lack of the dendrite growth which current lithium tech seems to struggle with for storage potential and also cause some runaway reactions. Speaking of reactions I don't know what the chemistry for this is but I would be surprised if a buildup of gas is not an option.
I'm probably misunderstanding this, but.... did you? If you didn't, then I probably know what you mean, but now I'm confused. x.x

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The only thing I am worried about now is dropping my phone and shatter my battery...which is a weird statement.
innb4 Corning Gorilla Glass Batteries

Piluvr

Yeeeet
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Batteries have been improved on for years. This sounds quite reasonable, due to the fact that the guy who invented Li-ion batteries probably had to deal with company payments before, and still made sure the battery made it to the market. He wont sell it to the first company to patent it, which is a great thing, in my opinion.

Piluvr

Yeeeet
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought graphene was the new material for batteries, but hey. Glass is cheap so?
both are pretty cheap, but graphene is tough to MAKE. Silicon + other materials I cant be bothered to look up= glass, but it is an easy process. That's why people are excited, It's cheap to manufacture glass, as there is not a real easy way to produce graphene.

Reactions: linuxares

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: linuxares

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That boy yo