Homebrew RELEASE CFWsetup All-in-One Python App

LyfeOnEdge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exciting news! All switch content is now downloaded on the fly when needed using the github api!
Future plans include tooltips for everything.

zRvsYFJ.png

exRmWkG.png

anrgGbr.png

What is it?
  • So some backstory: I was inspired by a certain member of the switch hacking community to provide a super-simple program to set up your SD card for pirating switch games in just a few clicks.

• Written in python version 3.6 using only standard libraries
How does it work?
  • Simply check the features you want, select your SD card, and hit install.

• The installer simply grabs official zips from various locations, unzips them, and puts them in the right location on your SD card. Currently you can choose between Atmosphere and Kosmos, as well as 4 different popular installers.

How do I run it?
  • Install python3.6 if you haven't already, make sure you tick the box to add it to your PATH.
  • Restart your PC.
  • Download the app and extract it wherever.
  • (Windows only) Run the app by double clicking the .bat file
  • Mac Users: You will likely need to grab the libraries from python.org, the ones that ship with Mac 10.6 for tkinter are broken. Thanks Apple.
  • I don't provide an easy start-up option for Mac *yet*, unfortunately I don't have a mac to test it with, but if a community member could add support I would be glad to include it and credit you. However, you can still run it with python.

Download: https://github.com/LyfeOnEdge/CFWSetup/releases

I wasn't expecting the app to actually develop this far, it started out as a thing to make installing the hbg shop easier, then got completely sidetracked and became something a bit more useful.

Last edited by LyfeOnEdge,

LyfeOnEdge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those claims are unsubstantiated. I'm tired of this community shunning anything new. We've tested it on /hbg/ with wireshark and found nothing wrong with it.
Unless you have proof don't spread rumors, it only hurts the community.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

upload_2019-3-21_2-42-53.png

If you'd like to talk to him I'm sure he'd be willing to clarify any questions you have.

littleshaun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Those claims are unsubstantiated. I'm tired of this community shunning anything new. We've tested it on /hbg/ with wireshark and found nothing wrong with it.
Unless you have proof don't spread rumors, it only hurts the community.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

View attachment 161577
If you'd like to talk to him I'm sure he'd be willing to clarify any questions you have.

I was not spreading rumours I was asking a simple clear question. If it has been verified as ok then that is fine, no problem. People are free to choose what they want to use - no need to jump on anyone asking a simple question.

Reactions: antiNT and okbyenow

LyfeOnEdge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not the only person who is gonna make a comment along those lines though.
It's not directed solely at you.

Last edited by LyfeOnEdge,

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "dev" behind this "fork" is hbgpinglongm2f

If that alone is not enough to tell you not to trust pozmos, then I don't know what is

If you try this, use extreme caution - make sure you have a nand backup and definitely do not go online (as you could be unwittingly sending console specific data)

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
...why not just directly download Kosmos's zip files and merge the releases? I'm pretty sure that it's just a case of merging the two folder structures, which is very easy in python.

Unless you have some kind of personal vendetta against Kosmos or the rest of the scene, using a fork that literally exists because one group opted to take a slightly less accepting stance of piracy seems kind of odd and petty.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The "dev" behind this "fork" is hbgpinglongm2f

If that alone is not enough to tell you not to trust pozmos, then I don't know what is

If you try this, use extreme caution - make sure you have a nand backup and definitely do not go online (as you could be unwittingly sending console specific data)
I can't really find anything about hbgpinglongm2f, what did this person do to gain such instant distrust?

Reactions: x65943

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't really find anything about hbgpinglongm2f, what did this person do to gain such instant distrust?
Hbg = 4chan
Pinglong = racist way to talk about TX
M2F = transphobia targeted at atmosphere

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hbg = 4chan
Pinglong = racist way to talk about TX
M2F = transphobia targeted at atmosphere
I was actually just about to edit my post after looking deeper into the name. Yeah, I am not going to trust this software with trash like that behind it.

Verack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already tested it without any ill effect on my Switch. That being said, I can somewhat see the OP's argument here. "Offensive" jokes aside (which by the way, this is the internet, and 4chan is well known for having a bit of a bite), this is pretty much what you want from CFW. You're an absolute fool and lying to yourself if you think the vast majority (read: 99.999%) of CFW users don't want piracy. Even more ridiculous is how you'll have the creators of this CFW (looking at you, SciresM) who will promote illegal modifications of games like Pokemon, yet somehow they are far more moral and holier than thou because they stopped at modification instead of copying. This is also ignoring the fact that these "homebrew" people are massive hypocrites for supporting things like emulators, given that they are used for the express purpose of pirating old games.

TL;DR: stop pretending to be holier than thou. People want to pirate, you pirate one way or another even though you claim to not be pirating. Stop dancing around the matter and just say "yeah we're here to pirate".

Reactions: x65943

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already tested it without any ill effect on my Switch. That being said, I can somewhat see the OP's argument here. "Offensive" jokes aside (which by the way, this is the internet, and 4chan is well known for having a bit of a bite), this is pretty much what you want from CFW. You're an absolute fool and lying to yourself if you think the vast majority (read: 99.999%) of CFW users don't want piracy. Even more ridiculous is how you'll have the creators of this CFW (looking at you, SciresM) who will promote illegal modifications of games like Pokemon, yet somehow they are far more moral and holier than thou because they stopped at modification instead of copying. This is also ignoring the fact that these "homebrew" people are massive hypocrites for supporting things like emulators, given that they are used for the express purpose of pirating old games.

TL;DR: stop pretending to be holier than thou. People want to pirate, you pirate one way or another even though you claim to not be pirating. Stop dancing around the matter and just say "yeah we're here to pirate".
I don't think anyone in this thread is expressly against piracy

And I happen to think it's silly when devs pretend they are against it - and only execute the tiniest stop gap measures to prevent it

However this release has deeper issues than that in my opinion

I don't trust anonymous devs whose first post is shady software and whose names manage to be racist and transphobic at the same time

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't it be easier to just make a modified Kosmos updater that also grabs sigpatches than maintain a separate package?

Edit:
As @linuxares pointed out below, Kosmos Updater already updates sigpatches, but only if they're already installed. No need for a modified updater at all.

Last edited by 8BitWonder,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

You can be a pirate and still be a decent person by not wanting to support "devs" like these. There's literally plenty of other options available that can accomplish the same results this is promising, without being tied to a racist transphobe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte