Introducing: the GBAtemp Game Center! The first phase of our new central site feature

mario.jpg

Mamma mia, what is-a-this?
The GBAtemp Game Center!

What if we brought the largest and most extensive database of video game information, from games themselves (>122K games), to video game platforms (>150), and even video game companies (>21K) and integrated it to your favorite site? This is what the GBAtemp Game Center is about, and it is made possible via a special partnership with IGDB.com who provides this database and maintains it up to date with their team of data engineers. Now what do we do with that crazy amount of data: this is where it gets interesting! We are going to roll out a ton of cool and exciting features to take the site to the next level.

upload_2019-11-19_20-4-15.png upload_2019-11-19_20-4-48.png upload_2019-11-19_20-5-31.png upload_2019-11-19_20-6-42.png
What are currently the main features?

Right now this is what we've got in store for you:
  • For each game: all the key facts such as release dates, game modes, genres, publishers, developers, platforms, storyline, summaries, and much more (example) along with gameplay screenshots and videos, trailers and other types of videos
  • A bunch of data for each platform and video game company too, with the list of games for each of these
  • The shoutbox has been improved to now support separate discussion threads. You can engage in discussions for every individual game, platform, or video game company that you find on the game center, as usual the shoutbox will be in the sidebar on the right. Also, from the full shoutbox page, you can see the latest active discussion threads.
  • A rating system: we're starting from scratch, so right now the top rated games won't look like anything, but it's up to you now to vote for your favorite games, platforms, and companies. And guess what: every time you vote for something, you get +1 XP! So quick, tell us what your favorite games are, you'll gain XP for that and it'll make our scoreboards look a lot better.
  • Easy to browse and search: a global search box can be found in the sidebar on every page of the game center. It'll search through the entire game center and return the most relevant results first. Usually returns better results than the forum's integrated search feature.
  • You can now use #hashtags in forum posts and other places to mention games, companies, and platforms. It will create beautiful looking links like this: [GAME=/game/new-super-mario-bros.1076]New Super Mario Bros.[/GAME] or [PLATFORM=/platform/switch]Nintendo Switch[/PLATFORM]
  • A cool interactive timeline of the upcoming games on the game center home page, on desktop browsers only; mobile users can still see an 'upcoming games' sidebar box.
And plenty more cool little things all over the place, go and see for yourself!

What other cool stuff may be added later?

This is just the beginning, and we thought you might enjoy it even without the rest of the exciting things we have planned for the future. The biggest of them all is that we're going to use the Game Center to centralize all content currently scattered across the multiple sections of the site. When you open a game page, a company page, or a platform page, you'll be able to find:
  • Reviews of the game from the Review center: user reviews, official reviews, and we'll even add OpenCritic scores and link to reviews from other sites
  • Tutorials related to the game: as you can see on our tutorial center, there are already a lot of useful guide and tutorials about games (how to use cheat codes in that game, how to apply a mod, etc.)
  • Questions from Ask GBAtemp, to view all existing questions relative to that game
  • Downloads from our Download Center to get all the files you need for that game (cheat files, mods, saves, and so on)
  • And of course, discussion threads from the forums. Every time a game/company/platform is mentioned using a hashtag, the reference will be listed on that page and people will be able to access your thread or post easily.
Over time, the game center will become the central piece of our site, from where you get all the info and resources about your favorite games.

But that's not all! We have a ton of other ideas in mind, from automatic notifications, to user contributions on data and graphics; we'll also integrate more data that we currently store in our database but haven't yet had time to properly display (e.g. achievements, external links, and so much more). We can't tell you everything but this is going to be good, very good, and we're counting on your creativity: if you have any ideas or suggestions, we're listening!

:arrow: Check out the Game Center now and rate your favorite games and platforms to get instant XP rewards!

Last edited by Costello,

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I'm a little annoyed about the hashtags because when I type #super mario bros 3 it doesn't return what I want, lol. The algorithm still needs tweaking

upload_2019-11-19_20-29-3.png

I am over 18,of course......:rofl2:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Every Game Rating a +1 ?????
I hope that does not degenerate into the boundless .....
we capped that to 5 XP per day, of course :) but dont let that stop you from submitting your ratings

I hope everyone enjoys this addition, Costello put a ton of work into it. Please note the design of the game centre is unfinished (especially for dark mode themes) and this will continue to be polished in the coming days and weeks.
oh yeah, a much, much improved version is coming soon :P

Last edited by Costello,

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Neat idea. I've seen a little, but how can we report errors in the data? I mean, I would not say KH is a sport game... XD
right now, the only way to report data errors is to use IGDB.com itself.
but we will implement our own layer of data updates in the future so that changes can go through us directly, that'll be more efficient.

also

when you want to insult someone on the site you can now innocently hashtag this game:
[GAME=/game/youre-a-dick.27705]You're A Dick[/GAME]
it's my new favorite thing :ninja:

Last edited by Costello,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When i clicked on GTA San Andreas a message popped up on screen saying to view images i had to confirm i was over 18. Which i did only to see a totally inocent image of the game box art. Seriously what is in the box art that i needed to be 18 to view lol.

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
When i clicked on GTA San Andreas a message popped up on screen saying to view images i had to confirm i was over 18. Which i did only to see a totally inocent image of the game box art. Seriously what is in the box art that i needed to be 18 to view lol.
it's not about images - they're about the 'mature' age ratings
a lot of games, including the one i linked in my post above yours, have very graphic and offensive images.
the only way to tell these games apart from regular games is to put a disclaimer on games rated 'mature', which is the case of GTA san andreas.
it's not a big issue especially since you only have to click that 'I am 18+' button once and it'll remember your selection :D

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it's not about images - they're about the 'mature' age ratings
a lot of games, including the one i linked in my post above yours, have very graphic and offensive images.
the only way to tell these games apart from regular games is to put a disclaimer on games rated 'mature', which is the case of GTA san andreas.
it's not a big issue especially since you only have to click that 'I am 18+' button once and it'll remember your selection :D
It just seems kinda pointless as everyone under 18 will just click they are over 18 anyway :rofl2:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over