Homebrew Emulation Introducing Nintellivision - an Emulator for the DS/DSi

ts-x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just added 25(!) new manuals to my original post, including: Antarctic Tales, D2K Arcade, Frog Bog, Frogger, H.E.L.I., Jr.Pac-Man, Killer Bees, Lock 'N' Chase, Missile Domination, Motocross, Ms. Night Stalker, Ms. Pac-Man, Mystic Castle, Night Stalker, Pac-Man, Popeye, Reversi, Sydney Hunter and the Sacred Tribe, SameGame and Robots, Stonix, Thunder Castle, Ultimate Pong, Upmonsters, White Water and Zombie Marbles.

Having picked up a few new tricks along the way, I also went back and made formatting improvements to most of the existing manuals from batches 1-4. The revised versions have been combined into the "Batch1-4" archive, which supersedes the prior four archive files. Enjoy!

ts-x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are my first two attempts at custom overlays - Space Battle and SameGame/Robots. Still experimenting to determine what layout plays best, but so far I'm partial to left thumb on the Dpad/Circle Pad and right thumb for buttons and overlays. I've also replaced the meta-function buttons with Intellivision-style custom icons...and as much as I wanted to use the spiritual/war book graphic from Treasure of Tarmin as the manual icon, it just seemed out of place :)

Attachments

• Space_Battle.png
    Space_Battle.png
    32 KB · Views: 61
  • SameGame_&_Robots.png
    SameGame_&_Robots.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Overlay_Test.7z
    45.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by ts-x,

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the download package you will see a document for creating and using overlays.

Creating is not easy.
Using existing .ovl files is very easy.

Reactions: banjo2

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Version 3.3 is released: https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/NINTV-DS

V3.3 : 02-Dec-2021 by wavemotion-dave
  • Added use of generic.ovl which replaces the generic overlay if found.
  • Fix for custom overlays not registering the new Manual (instructions) meta key.
  • Cleanups for .bin file reading and other small tweaks under the hood.
  • Code commented throughout for better maintainability.
  • More than 50 manuals added thanks to @ts-x! See extras folder.
Many small improvements here... but the one bigger change is the new generic.ovl which, if found where you keep your OVL files, will replace the generic overlay everywhere... so you can now totally customize every aspect of the emulator look and feel. Plus tons of new manuals - make sure the .man file has the same base name as your game/rom file.

Enjoy!

Last edited by wavemotion,

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Version 3.4 is released: https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/NINTV-DS

V3.4 : 04-Dec-2021 by wavemotion-dave
* Added support for more ROM segments so games like DK Jr Homebrew will run.
* New global nintv-ds.man manual support - see extras folder.
* Other small cleanups as time permitted.

The new global instruction manual handler is here. This simplifies the way manuals are found and loaded. Rather than everyone trying to rename existing manuals to match their rom filenames, we have a global nintv-ds.man file (provided in the extras.zip file) that can be placed on your card (with your roms or in whatever folder you specified in configuration options). Using the game CRC this will find the correct matching manual for the game you are playing. You can still have individual manuals by having [romname].man file so you can override any of the built-in manuals. We will add more manuals in the future. Many thanks to @ts-x for providing the bulk of the manuals formatted for the DS screen. There are currently 54 manuals included in the nintv-ds.man file and more will come eventually!

ShadowWolf2099

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Custom overlays is exactly what you want. You can create any screen layout you want including the exact keypad you see now only with images or text where the buttons are. Or you can design something awesome of your own imagination. Or you can stretch out an existing overlay with hot spots anywhere. There is nothing you can’t create with custom overlays.

Here is my custom overlay for Treasure of Tarmin. I have access to every button on the original overlay.
View attachment 278899
What if the file ext. on the overlay and what directory do you store them so that they can be accessed in the configuration?

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the Extras (zip) folder you should see a document that will explain the use of Overlays: how to make them and how to apply them.

In general, you need to have a .ovl file with the same base name as your game/rom file and place it in the same folder as your roms (though you can configure a different directory if you want). You then select your overlay in configuration as "Custom".

Reactions: banjo2

ts-x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just added 73 overlays to my original post here. They are organized in batches that mirror those used for manuals. Everything with a manual (excluding Istar and Grail of the Gods) has an overlay. Also added overlays for future "Batch 6" including: Super Pro Astrosmash, World Championship Baseball, Christmas Carol, Demon Attack, Donkey Kong Junior (2018 version), Jumpking Junior, King of the Mountain (regular+Super Pro), Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack, Pinball, River Raid, Royal Dealer, Shape Escape, Shark! Shark!, Snafu, Space Battle, Battlestar Galactica Space Battle, Space Patrol, Swords and Serpents, Tower of Doom, TRON Deadly Discs, TRON Deadly Dogs, TRON Deadlier Disc, Worm Whomper, plus a "Generic" Nintellivision overlay in same style. I'm planning to work on manuals for the games in "Batch 6" over the coming weeks. There could be an additional overlay or five on the way as well :). Enjoy!

Here are a few sample images (also edited my post above with improved overlay images for Space Battle and SameGame & Robots)...

Attachments

• Frogger.png
    Frogger.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 50
  • TRON-Deadly_Discs.png
    TRON-Deadly_Discs.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Swords_and_Serpents.png
    Swords_and_Serpents.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Mystic_Castle.png
    Mystic_Castle.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 55
  • generic.png
    generic.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Donkey_Kong_Junior.png
    Donkey_Kong_Junior.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Baseball-World_Championship.png
    Baseball-World_Championship.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Lock_'N'_Chase.png
    Lock_'N'_Chase.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 55

ts-x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks real Nice

How many retail Intellivision Games were there, including Intellivoice Games?
I believe there were 125 original games. Probably another 75-100 homebrews and unreleased games have been made available since. Edit: looks like there have been 116 official homebrew releases plus numerous other unofficial releases, so that number is likely closer to 150-175 additional games.

Last edited by ts-x,

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi wavemotion, great work, compliments!
...and thanks to ts-x for the extra!!!
I have some problems with Jr Pac Man rom... title screen ok but not working on Nintendo DSi XL
@ts-x got Jr-Pac to work on Nintellivision. He may have needed a custom .cfg file which I'm sure he will share with you. I've tagged him on this post. I don't have the ROM to test.

ts-x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi wavemotion, great work, compliments!
...and thanks to ts-x for the extra!!!
I have some problems with Jr Pac Man rom... title screen ok but not working on Nintendo DSi XL
Hey Simone, try enabling JLP when opening. I believe that addressed the issue for me. That‘s on a list of a few outstanding items I was going to send @wavemotion‘s way for the next update.

Simone68

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey Simone, try enabling JLP when opening. I believe that addressed the issue for me. That‘s on a list of a few outstanding items I was going to send @wavemotion‘s way for the next update.

Thanks for the reply ts-x.
Now everything works great !
It would be nice to be able to try Intellivania and Rick Dynamite... but i haven't the rom.
Thanks so much.

Reactions: ts-x and banjo2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)