Introducing...Kalisiin

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kalisiin, Aug 10, 2009.

Aug 10, 2009

Introducing...Kalisiin by Kalisiin at 4:13 PM (943 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Kalisiin
    OP

Member Kalisiin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi. I'm Kalisiin, a 38 year old female gamer. Yes, we DO exist. Rare, granted, but we exist.

I decided to sign up for this forum, because I feel like I need to be in the know...ever since I got screwed by Nintendo version 1.4 Firmware...here in the United States!

My question has to be...Do you even OWN your DSi, if the original manufacturer can, at any time of it's choosing, and without your knowledge or consent...download to your device, software which alters the original functioning of the device?

No one ever told ME that, by accepting the System Update that was required in order to enter the DSiStore (which is full of crap stuff anyway) that it would disable my Acekard!! If they had TOLD me what the update would do...I'd have chosen not to update, and accepted the consequence of not being able to shop in the DSi Shop. so, as far as I am concerned, my system was altered in a manner I did not approve of...without my knowledge or consent...by the original manufacturer...ON AN AFTERMARKET BASIS.

So, where does this end? Do you actually even OWN your device? What if, just for arguments' sake now...Nintendo were to decide that, from now on...before you were allowed to play ANY game...you had to watch three commercials? Commercials that would play on a device YOU paid for...and for which NINTENDO would receive all the royalties? Why not? Used to be a time when they didn't bomb you with 20 minutes of blatant corporate advertising, before showing you a movie that once, you didn't pay nine bucks to go see!! Now they do!!

Nah, I'm sticking with the DS Lite. what's more, I'm going on eBay to find a few MORE good DS Lites...to make sure I have a backup supply in case any of them ever break! I hereby do not trust Nintendo to not install such "upgrade" into any future new DS Lite they might sell. I would like my system UNADULTERATED please and thanks...and I get the feeling that had I signed up for this community a long time ago, I might have been IN THE KNOW...and not have been tricked into downloading their stupid "System Update."

I only use the Acekard to have a copy of every game I own...all on one card, thus making my portable game system TRULY PORTABLE. To me, "portable" is not defined as having to carry around 20-50 teeny little cartridges everywhere I go.

SO...making a long story short...I re-confiscated my old DS Lite from my mom (who wouldn't know what to do with an Acekard if it hit her in the ass) and gave her the new DSi...and re-took my old DSLite.

So sorry for those who got suckered into buying a DSi. Knowing what I know now...I would never buy a DSi. The little extra screen real estate...the slightly better sound, and the shitty camera are not worth it. You'd think Nintendo would have learned something with the Wii...but no, they apparently haven't.

People would RATHER download from a thing like the Virtual Console...and pay for it....than to have all these stupid cartridges all over the place. That said, you'd think Nintendo would drastically increase it's offerings in the DSiWare shop, thus making the DSi worth owning. And by drastically increasing...I mean...IMMEDIATELY RELEASE ALL CURRENT DS GAMES...AND ALL PREVIOUS GBA TITLES...not make us wait a week...to be disappointed by another crap release. and release them only one or two a week.

Well, anyway, I'm Kalisiin, and I'm here so as to be in the know...and to share my tale of misfortune...and to spread my warning...IF NINTENDO CAN, AT ANY TIME...DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE TO YOUR DEVICE WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE OR CONSENT...SOFTWARE WHICH ALTERS THE FUNCTIONING OF YOUR DEVICE ON AN AFTERMARKET BASIS...THEN YOU NO LONGER OWN THE DEVICE.

2. haohmaru6

Newcomer haohmaru6 Advanced Member

United States
    Yes this is the way Nintendo is, they do everything in their power to control the devices they sell you, to try to make you spend more money, because in the end it effects their bottom line. That is the nature of business I guess.

I think they do ask if you would like to perform an update on the DSi, as I know they do on the Wii. The general rule of thumb is do not allow Nintendo to perform updates, as they are not required to disclose what devices or software those updates will affect.

I see why you may feel you do not own the device, but indeed you do because they give you the choice to perform the update, but they are not obligated to inform you all that it entails. In fact I doubt any business will be forthcoming and volunteer information about things of this nature, because in the end it will affect their bottom line, and thats how businesses survive.

Yes as these devices become more and more complex, the businesses are always going to have more information about them than they are willing to volunteer, which is one reason why communities like this one exist. There will always be more of us than there are of them... [​IMG]

So now that you are a member, always check information about your specific flash cart before you get any new devices or perform any updates. Most people here are helpful about things like this.

Welcome to the community, we are glad to have you here!

3. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    Hi. I'm Kalisiin, a 38 year old female gamer. Yes, we DO exist. Rare, granted, but we exist.
    W00t! \o/ Another not-kid in the 'Temp. We're too few and far between.

I decided to sign up for this forum, because I feel like I need to be in the know...ever since I got screwed by Nintendo version 1.4 Firmware...here in the United States!
    Glad to have you aboard! [​IMG]

My question has to be...Do you even OWN your DSi, if the original manufacturer can, at any time of it's choosing, and without your knowledge or consent...download to your device, software which alters the original functioning of the device?
    Personally, I agree with your opinion. You don't own something that can be maliciously 'upgraded' against your will.

No one ever told ME that, by accepting the System Update that was required in order to enter the DSiStore (which is full of crap stuff anyway) that it would disable my Acekard!! If they had TOLD me what the update would do...I'd have chosen not to update, and accepted the consequence of not being able to shop in the DSi Shop. so, as far as I am concerned, my system was altered in a manner I did not approve of...without my knowledge or consent...by the original manufacturer...ON AN AFTERMARKET BASIS.
    *nodnod* We've actually been expecting this to happen for a while, now. Sorry you had to hear about it the difficult way. Chances are good that there will be a workaround for your AK2i in the near future, but the necessity of using workarounds every time Nintendo decides to brick your system is rediculous.

So, where does this end? Do you actually even OWN your device? What if, just for arguments' sake now...Nintendo were to decide that, from now on...before you were allowed to play ANY game...you had to watch three commercials? Commercials that would play on a device YOU paid for...and for which NINTENDO would receive all the royalties? Why not? Used to be a time when they didn't bomb you with 20 minutes of blatant corporate advertising, before showing you a movie that once, you didn't pay nine bucks to go see!! Now they do!!
    Don't be giving Nintendo ideas. I'm not surprised by anything they do, these days.

Nah, I'm sticking with the DS Lite. what's more, I'm going on eBay to find a few MORE good DS Lites...to make sure I have a backup supply in case any of them ever break! I hereby do not trust Nintendo to not install such "upgrade" into any future new DS Lite they might sell. I would like my system UNADULTERATED please and thanks...and I get the feeling that had I signed up for this community a long time ago, I might have been IN THE KNOW...and not have been tricked into downloading their stupid "System Update."
    You've come to the same conclusion that many of us here at GBAtemp came to when it became apparant that this problem would arise. I still use my trusty Onyx DSlite, and I'm now in the market for a new DSlite.

I only use the Acekard to have a copy of every game I own...all on one card, thus making my portable game system TRULY PORTABLE. To me, "portable" is not defined as having to carry around 20-50 teeny little cartridges everywhere I go.
    ^ Quoted for truth

SO...making a long story short...I re-confiscated my old DS Lite from my mom (who wouldn't know what to do with an Acekard if it hit her in the ass) and gave her the new DSi...and re-took my old DSLite.
    So you've even got your mom playing a DS? Nicely done! I can get my dad to play, but he gets a bit too rough with the touchscreen. [​IMG]

So sorry for those who got suckered into buying a DSi. Knowing what I know now...I would never buy a DSi. The little extra screen real estate...the slightly better sound, and the shitty camera are not worth it. You'd think Nintendo would have learned something with the Wii...but no, they apparently haven't.
    Technically speaking, they Did learn something from the Wii; they learned to make the firmware remotely updatable in order to prevent a small percentage of our eeeevil piracy.

People would RATHER download from a thing like the Virtual Console...and pay for it....than to have all these stupid cartridges all over the place. That said, you'd think Nintendo would drastically increase it's offerings in the DSiWare shop, thus making the DSi worth owning. And by drastically increasing...I mean...IMMEDIATELY RELEASE ALL CURRENT DS GAMES...AND ALL PREVIOUS GBA TITLES...not make us wait a week...to be disappointed by another crap release. and release them only one or two a week.
    Once they've found a way to make copious amounts of money from downloadable content, you can be sure they will have more to choose from in DSIware.

Well, anyway, I'm Kalisiin, and I'm here so as to be in the know...and to share my tale of misfortune...and to spread my warning...IF NINTENDO CAN, AT ANY TIME...DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE TO YOUR DEVICE WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE OR CONSENT...SOFTWARE WHICH ALTERS THE FUNCTIONING OF YOUR DEVICE ON AN AFTERMARKET BASIS...THEN YOU NO LONGER OWN THE DEVICE.
    Very glad to meet you, and I for one hope to see your future contributions to the forum discussions.

4. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    lol glad to have you in the community,Kalisiin! [​IMG]

5. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    Welcome to GBA any problems with PC come to the Computer Systems section of GBAtemp lots of members ready help and have a cookie from me.

[​IMG]

6. Kalisiin
    OP

United States
    Thanks. Glad to be here, and to be in the know, in the loop, as it were.
    Yeah, I know they aren't really required to tell you everything the update entails...but I think it's a pretty shirty way to operate.

I know the 1.4 Version "patch" from Nintendo has already been beaten...but how long before Nintendo does it again...and then it gets beaten again, ad nauseam? To me, it just isn't worth the battle, so, for me, I'll take the DS Lite.

The DSi is NOT enough of an advance to make it worth the money...if you haven't already bought a DSi, I would not recommend it, based on my experience with the device...and the fact that I feel you no longer really own the device...if the original manufacturer can - ON AN AFTERMARKET BASIS...do something to the device to alter it's functioning...in a way you may not approve of - and without disclosing that it will have that effect.

The DSi MIGHT be worth it...IF they would, as I say, immediately release all currently and previously released DS titles...and GBA titles...into the DSiWare Shop...so that you can purchase and then download them.

I don't mind paying for what I get...but I also want to get what I paid for...and my idea of "getting what I paid for" does NOT include allowing the original manufacturer (in this case, Nintendo) to alter the functioning of my device...ON AN AFTERMARKET BASIS...in a way which I do not want, or approve of...which negatively impacts a function which I want to be able to keep.

Now, if they did this...on a before-market basis...and I bought it knowing this "update" was in place, and that the particular function would not work...that's one thing. but to alter my device on an aftermarket basis...no. To me, this means I no longer truly own the device, I'm just renting it from Nintendo.

As I said...what if...just suppose, what if...Nintendo were to suddenly decide that I must watch commercials prior to playing games I have paid for...commercials that would run on MY device...take up room in MY system memory, and use MY battery power to run - while they collect all the royalties for those commercials...before I could even play a game...any game?

The fact that they did what they did with Version 1.4 made me aware that they theoretically could do just that. And I don't think they should have that right. I'm not willing to give them that right. So I'll stick with the DS Lite, and Nintendo can shove the DSi right up where the sun doesn't shine, as far as I am concerned.

7. Kalisiin
    OP

United States
    True. Us older "Generation X" folks ARE pretty few and far between on these forums. Yes, young'uns...there ARE a few of us old farts who are as into, and as knowledgeable, about how to do these sorts of cool things with devices like the DS.

Glad to hear someone else shares my opinion about whether or not you own your device.

And this is why I'm sticking with DS Lite...because it's stupid...to have to deal with this every single time Nintendo decides to brick up your system. You know it's a never-ending war, neither side is going to give up, and, in the end, nobody is really going to win. Besides, I don't see the difference between what most of us do with an Acekard...and what we used to do with cassette tapes...borrow each others tapes and then dub them. It didn't cause the music companies to go out of business...and neither will what we do.

In fact, I would argue that it may even increase their sales, because, I have been known to download a game I'm thinking about buying...to try it out...before I buy it...and, if I liked it, I went and bought it - an example of this in my case was Mario Kart. I would not have bought it without the opportunity of trying it first, I'm not willing to shell out 40 bucks for a game that might suck.

And if there was enough downloadable content...the production costs Nintendo incurs would be minimal, so they could make more money...and even (gasp) pass some of the savings on to us end users (yeah, right!) in the form of making games a little cheaper, so that we could buy MORE of them. But they are too blinded by greed to see the forest for the trees.

Yeah, I got my mom playing a DS...by getting the sorts of titles that would interest her, like Jumbles, Crosswords, Scrabble, that sort of thing. My mom's 62...so she may be the oldest person in America who currently owns a DSi, LOL!!

And if I gave Nintendo any ideas, I oughta get the royalties on the idea. 'Course, those cheap basterds would insist they thought up the idea on their own.

As to being in the market for a new DS Lite...I don't blame ya. I now own 4 DS Lites, three are in their original packaging, in my drawer at home...and there in case my current one ever breaks. As far as I'm concerned, I want to have access to DS Lites for the remainder of my life. This way, I am relatively assured of that. So I never again have to buy something that the basterds can re-program, remotely, and on an aftermarket basis.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like piracy any more than THEY do...but, damn, they punish a great big group of people using tools that COULD be used for piracy...and we just use them for legitimate, legal purposes, for our own convenience. And the occasional "try-it-before-you-buy-it" thing. I see nothing wrong with that. Now, I have a problem with the people who are downloading, and then burning 10,000 copies of something, and then going out and selling them. But that is such a SMALL percentage of those who have and use Acekards.

Most of us are home-brewers...or folks like me who just want real portability. and just how will the next generation of game developers learn how to develop much of anything...if they squash the homebrew community every chance they get? Where the hell do they think innovation and new ideas come from?

And, I maintain that right now they could make copious amounts of money from the DSiWare Shop. Fill it with GOOD content that people actually WANT. Don't make us wait a week, and then disappoint us with another crappy release!
    If they would just IMMEDIATELY RELEASE ALL CURRENT AND PREVIOUSLY-RELEASED DS GAMES...AND GBA GAMES...TO THE DSIWARE SHOP...they'd make copious money from folks like me who just want the convenience of being able to have many, many games to choose from on our systems...without having to carry around a lot of teeny cartridges.

OK, I'm climbing down off my soapbox for now...it hurts to stand up here a long time in high heels!! LOL!!

8. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    The older you are, the longer your posts.

Makes me wonder how old FAST is sometimes [​IMG].

9. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    Get her to try "Peggle".

10. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Or Hadrian, seeing his release threads and all. [​IMG]

11. Kalisiin
    OP

United States
    I'll have a look at it, and see if it's the sort of thing she might like. I imagine Google is a good place to start looking into something you have never heard of before, lol. Thanks for the suggestion. I like to get my mom into these games, I just am so proud of my mom, for being in her sixties, and still being open-minded enough to embrace new technology. I like to think I'm part of the reason she does.

ON EDIT: Found a place on Google to download a free trial for the PC game of Peggle, gonna give it a try...also saw in Google where they have a version for DS.

ON FURTHER EDIT: Vulpes, GODDAM YOU!! NOW you done found a game my mom and I will likely FIGHT over!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]