Introducing GBAtemp v6 - A Fresh Coat of Paint & Our Patreon - celebrating 15 years!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Jun 10, 2017.

1. shaunj66
    OP

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    [​IMG]

> Welcome to GBAtemp v6 !
    Dear Tempers,

As some of you may know this August GBAtemp.net will be celebrating it's 15th Anniversary! To celebrate this momentous occasion we have been working tirelessly to make 2017 GBAtemp's best year yet!

Welcome to the latest version of your community - GBAtemp v6!

We have a bunch of announcements to share with you so please read on to see what's new at your favourite independent gaming community:-​

[​IMG] A Fresh Coat of Paint

[​IMG]

Introducing tempStyle 2 - designed by @shaunj66 we finally have a brand new look for the site that completely revamps your GBAtemp experience including - hi-DPI support, retina icons, faster browsing, improved layout & functionality, but more importantly a better mobile experience! The skin is still a work-in-progress and we need your help to beta test it. Please find a small Q&A and details on how to provide feedback further down below...

[​IMG] A Better Mobile Experience

We have completely revamped the responsive & mobile browsing experience. GBAtemp is now crafted to fully take advantage of smartphones and smaller screen sizes! We have made the site more touch friendly with a range of new design choices. Go ahead, try visiting GBAtemp.net on your phone!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] A Patreon

[​IMG]

As you can see, we've decided to step up our game this year: we finally have a modern-era site design, and our press coverage has been increasingly extensive and exhaustive. We have published hundreds of reviews for all platforms over the past years thanks to our amazing editorial team. We now provide you with fresh news coverage for the entire spectrum of the gaming industry (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, computer gaming...), and unlike most other sites we still have the rare freedom of being able to openly discuss console hacking and system modifications. This freedom is due to the independence we have managed to conserve over all these years.

We're working behind the scenes every day to make this community one of the best and largest independent gaming communities on the web and we intend to keep it that way. But in order to make this happen, to be able to keep providing you with fresh editorial content and in order to conserve our freedom under any circumstance, we need your help.

With your support on Patreon, we intend to do great things: just take a moment to check out our campaign and see for yourself. If you decide to back us, there will be amazing consequences from both individual and community perspectives.

Perks include:
    • Exclusive backer banner/icons (date & details TBC)
    • The return of the GBAtemp Homebrew Bounty - now the GBAtemp Bounty! (details to follow)
    • Exclusive site styles
    • Early access to tempStyle 2 Dark
    • The satisfaction that you're helping support a site celebrating it's 15th Anniversary!
    Please visit our Patreon page and we hope you'll consider supporting us just as we've supported you for nearly 15 years.

:arrow: GBAtemp on Patreon

> tempStyle 2 Q&A

[​IMG] Can I continue to use the old style?

Change can be difficult but we suggest you try using tempStyle 2 for a while to feel the benefits. The old tempStyle's are now obsolete and we can't guarantee any future forum improvements or changes will be made available in them.

[​IMG] But what about the dark theme?
    We know a lot of you browse GBAtemp in Dark mode and we hear you. You're welcome to use the old Dark theme for now while we find the resources to create a Dark version of tempStyle 2.

[​IMG] Why isn't there a dark theme available right NOW!?
    tempStyle 2 took over 6 months to create - keeping in mind we all have full time jobs at GBAtemp, finding the time to work on the site can be tough especially just for aesthetic reasons. We have launched the Light (default) version now in order to let our members help us find any bugs that may need working out before work on the Dark version. Otherwise early bug fixing would require fixing multiple templates. Please understand!

[​IMG] Can I help?
    We have just launched a Patreon to let our members support our site. If you want to pledge to help support our work not only can we devote more time to the site but you get awesome rewards such as early access to the tempStyle 2 Dark theme! See above for more info on our Patreon.

[​IMG] I found something that doesn't look quite right?
    We are still working on the new skin and bugs or sections of the site may have been overlooked when designing it. If you find a bug or something that looks unpolished or in need of updating please let us know in the dedicated thread by clicking here.

All of this just before E3 2017!

[​IMG]
    Don't forget that E3 is right around the corner with the EA Press Conference expected to start later today.

GBAtemp will be providing live coverage of GBAtemp E3 2017 both right here on our site and a live Twitter feed. Resident newser @Chary is currently in Los Angeles preparing to provide you all with the latest news, updates and announcements from GBAtemp. Check out our home page for more information!

:arrow: Follow E3 2017 with GBAtemp on Twitter

We hope you like the changes GBAtemp v6 brings and that you'll celebrate our 15th Anniversary with us up to this August.

Thank you to each and every one of you for supporting us for these 15 years and for making GBAtemp the best community on the web.

- The GBAtemp Staff

Last edited by shaunj66, Jun 10, 2017

2. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    and i thought the big announcement was that we would start hosting roms again...!

anyway, very cool update, nice to have a mobile version :) thanks for the work

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Congratz on our upcoming 15 years GBATemp! Here's to 15 more!

4. Procyon

Procyon TheRealProcyon

Dec 13, 2014
    Netherlands
    /home/procyon
    Missing a dark theme, other than that, great design.

maorninja, Seyiji, Minnow and 8 others like this.
  5. Abu_Senpai

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Tokyo
    Love the new job you guys have done. But it is going to take time to get use to all these colors haha:rofl2::rofl:

elBenyo likes this.
  6. Procyon

Procyon TheRealProcyon

Dec 13, 2014
    Netherlands
    /home/procyon
    Oh I skipped the part that stated a dark theme is in the works. I'm getting blind here

7. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Really awesome update, and exciting stuff! The mobile site is super slick looking! It'll make our E3 coverage look all the more awesome!

Happy 15th anniversary, GBAtemp!

8. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    :hrth: It's finally official! :D

Anonymous456, Chary and Procyon like this.
  9. erman1337

erman1337 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2015
    Belgium
    Brussels
    I love the new style!

Anonymous456 likes this.
  10. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    THE WHITE IS BURNING MY EYES, LET ME RUN BACK TO MY SHADOWS

11. ForeverEternal

ForeverEternal GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2016
    United States
    Pretty and functional.

Anonymous456 and Ericzander like this.
  12. Procyon

Procyon TheRealProcyon

Dec 13, 2014
    Netherlands
    /home/procyon
    Soon™

jsa likes this.
  13. aos10

aos10 how i fotochop?

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    oh gosh,it's beutifull :wub:

Chary likes this.
  14. franchy

franchy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2017
    Canada
    This is neat, clean, sexy asf B-) BUT if there was a Black Version, i would of been all on it:D

Anonymous456 likes this.
  15. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    Version six.. More like version sex...

It's beautiful

Anonymous456 likes this.
  16. Procyon

Procyon TheRealProcyon

Dec 13, 2014
    Netherlands
    /home/procyon
    I wish I could be a $10 patron, can't for now...

THYPLEX likes this.
  17. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    Lol. Awesome. I was just browsing right now and it all of a sudden changed. I was all like wtf. Thanks!

18. Conn0r

Conn0r GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Ewwwww now I have to get used to a whole new ballgame

19. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    I hate how everyone is abusing Patreon nowadays. Now forums too? It's crazy...

On the other hand, I'm all for an ad-free browsing alternative that doesn't have to be using an adblock. I'm in.

And nice work on the new layout. Still gonna develop stuff on Stylish though. Hope you don't mind :)

20. Procyon

Procyon TheRealProcyon

Dec 13, 2014
    Netherlands
    /home/procyon
    I visited the temp after I read the tweet stating "are you ready" and Boom!