Interview with Justin Barwick, CEO of the GCW Zero Handheld

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:arrow: GWW Podcast: Episode 67
    :arrow: GCW Zero Kickstarter

2. gundalf

Member gundalf GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Interesting, so we might be able to swap the internal microsd card and battery.

3. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    So the GCW Zero has an internal microSD just like the Neo Geo X does huh? I'd like to see some of the system's guts actually.
    If the GCW Zero is a truly open device then I'm sure this'll be shown off soon enough.
    As long as the device can be mounted via that mini USB slot, all is well. 16gb internal is plenty for what I'd use it for.

4. gundalf

Spain
    The GCW Zero has an internal (yes like the neogeox) and external (on the bottom) microSD reader. So there is no need to use the OTG-USB Feature for expanding the memory.
    And as far I remember, I think Barwick mentioned on the dingoonity board to be trying to get a good deal for 32GB cards, so we might get in the end 32GB internal memory!

5. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    32gb microSD cards have become surprisingly affordable recently! A good 16gb card won't even set you back that much any more.
    I hope there's no concern of the internal microSD getting loose though.

6. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    The 32gb card is only for the first 100 or so SE models. Since 512 ram is now standard he wanted to give early adopters a little something extra

7. gundalf

Spain
    Thanks for the clarification, guess 16GB is still really good and you can still use a 64GB microSD Card on the external reader if you want so.

8. djricekcn

Member djricekcn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    how's the screen quality and color on these machines? youtube makes it all washed out looking.

9. gundalf

Spain
    320x240 in 4:3 Aspect Ratio. So all games will be displayed in their native Resolution without any stretching or scaling.

10. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    That's not necessarily true.
    Whilst systems like the Sega Genesis had a 320x224 resolution for most games, as did many Neo Geo games, other retro titles were a bit smaller, possibly larger.
    The NES and SNES had a 256x224 resolution which leaves gaps at the sides, no stretching or scaling is necessary which I prefer, but some people may want the games displayed full screen, in which case you'll be stretching the image to 125% width.
    Then there is the Gameboy Advance with a 240x160 resolution, low enough to look a bit small on a 5inch 320x240 display, so scaling becomes somewhat necessary at this point. The same goes for the original Gameboy and Gameboy Color with a 160x144 resolution.
    Now, some MAME titles don't fit into 320x240, they can be larger than that.
    Mega Man: The Power Battle for example is a widescreen arcade game, it is 384x224 resolution! To play this on a 320x240 screen you will ever need to play it with cropping 32 pixels off each side, or either stretch it, or scale it. Scaling would mean losing vertical pixels however.

As for how the screen doesn't look too amazing in YouTube videos, apparently that's just the camera that he has been using, they say it looks fine in person.

11. djricekcn

United States
    sorry, by screen I meant the color quality and what not....on youtube videos I've seen, they don't look very clean and look dirty...not vibrant enough.
    also, technically, what can the gcw zero handle with perfect or near perfect emulation....ps1 at best?

12. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    Oh, I think the GCW zero units you see on YouTube right now are much earlier produced units, than the ones they plan to mass produce.
    I guess we will have to wait and see for how good the screens shape up.

As for emulation, it can definitely handle SNES flawlessly as far as I can see. Maybe at launch the software will have a few kinks but I expect they will improve it over time.
    The GCW Zero's official firmware is built around Dingux, the unofficial Dingoo Linux firmware designed to replace the Dingoo A320's official firmware and run applications designed for Dingux instead. Dingux already has a PS1 emulator, I don't know how well it runs on the A320 however.
    But with a 1Ghz processor in the GCW Zero I am hopeful it can handle some PS1 games nicely.

13. taydor_b

Newcomer taydor_b Member

United States
    It looks like the KickStarter is doing great! They only need a little of $26,000 in 8 days to reach their goal. They need to average $3300 a day which is much better than the $4500 a day they needed just a few days ago. If it comes down to it, I'll donate some, but I can't really afford to spend unnecessary money until the summer (college and not working kind of blows).

14. djricekcn

United States
    still debating if I should put down money on it....argg, decisions. 130 is not a lot but not cheap either and that screen quality on youtube concerns me + N64 and PSX not suitable due to lack of buttons....and yes, I use right analog a lot and L2 / R2

15. buyme129
    This message by buyme129 has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Jan 21, 2013.
    Jan 21, 2013
  16. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    The kickstarter is very close to reaching their goal now, less than $13k needed.
    Exciting times indeed.

17. Creqaw

Member Creqaw GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Only around $2k more needed. Still thinking about backing it myself but need to give $20 extra for shipping...
    //edit Ok, apparently Kickstarter doesn't accept paypal, too bad.

18. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    I have been waffling over whether or not to back this for days. Finally, after checking out all the youtube previews of SNES games playing on it, I'm in. I've never backed a single thing on Kickstarter, but this looks awesome.

19. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    $5000 above goal and still six more days to go. :toot:
    Congratulations!

20. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    Indeed, this was the primary reason I was especially interested in it.

I've had many devices to try and play SNES games on and none ever satisfied, for one reason or another.
    That's including DS flashcarts, pre DStwo and on DSTwo, the GP2X F100, GP2X Wiz and GP2X Caanoo.

The GCW Zero has gotten the two most important things right there, giving it a reliable d-pad, and giving it enough horsepower to play SNES games full speed without frameskip. Seriously, at LAST.

21. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    don't forget it also does doom, quake, duke3d, etc, multiplayer over wifi! that right there is an awesome selling point. in the interview justin hinted at dosbox, the devs have discussed ps1 and n64 emulation, not to mention all the other dingux apps, games, homebrew, and emulation that can simply be recompiled and released. they also have some interest from indy devs.

this is probably going to end up being the open source handheld that other systems will use for inspiration. unlike the open pandora that tried too hard to reinvent the wheel and ended up with release issues, build issues, etc, the zero goes launches with an established o/s and targets an already thriving community of retro developers.

-another world