Internet works on W7 but not on XP

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by GamerzHell9137, Dec 11, 2012.

Dec 11, 2012
  1. GamerzHell9137
    OP

Member GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Well i had Windows7 on my old PC but it took too much CPU and Ram so i installed XP instead but the internet does not work like it should.
    I can be for 5-10 min and after that i lose connection.
    I am forced to restart the PC.
    Why that??

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    One word my friend. Drivers.

Well, ok, it's not quite so simple. The most likely explanation is that the network adaptor drivers are crashing, which kills your connection until the drivers are reloaded (I.e. reboot). The solution to this is usually to update to the latest drivers.

The second explanation is a little more complicated, and even I don't fully understand it. Except for networks over Ethernet, some network adaptors have problems maintaining the handshake protocol between devices. It'll work for a while, then an error will choke up the connection and you usually have to reset the PC network adaptor to restore the handshake and get them talking again. I sometimes see this happen on old adaptors when voice chatting or torrenting.

A third explanation is hardware fault, but it's unlikely. I've got laptops that still work after 15 years (and usb WiFi adaptors nearly as old).