Internet not working on Windows XP (we have AT&T)

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Aijelsop, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Aijelsop
    OP

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    I hate AT&T. They suck. Whoever owns them sucks at life.

Anyway, it was working about 20 minutes ago.
    It WILL NOT CONNECT now. I have no clue why. I disconnected the ethernet, the whole modem, and everything else possible and it WILL NOT WORK.

It's a desktop, not a laptop.

My mom's laptop connects perfectly, my iPod touch connects perfectly, my DSi connect perfectly and my Wii connects perfectly.

Why is this happening?

The last thing I remember doing was trying to download a large file, but I decided to stop it and download it tonight when I go to bed. I went back to the website and it would load up, and I tried to visit another website. (I was using Opera, and it doesn't tell you it cant connect, it just gives you a blank screen.) I went to Chrome and it won't load and tells me it won't connect. It also opened the network manager thing and I clicked repair, what does it do but tell me it's not going to repair anything... (one off topic question: have you ever used the Windows help and EVER been helped...? NO Windows SUCKS)

What should I do? I'm not calling AT&T, the wifi still works on other devices

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Restart?

3. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Turn off every device on your network, power down your router, wait a couple of minutes, turn the router back on, wait for it to establish a connection, and then turn on your computer. If this does not work, then something's up with your computer most likely.

If you are truly desperate, make sure you know your PPPoE username (most likely your @att.net email address) and wireless password (different from your email password) and reset your router back to its factory settings.

4. kylehaas

Member kylehaas GBAtemp Regular

United States
    At&t has the worst service ever.
    If anything better was cheaper, I would switch immediately.

Did you check the modem settings? Did you try http://192.168.1.254/ in a browser?
    You need to make sure your login info is correct.
    If it absolutely is all correct, and you are not getting a DSL light, then either your connection is cut or you need to be reconnected to the At&t server.
    Occasionally, if we get really bad weather, we lose our connection and I have to call them and have them reconnect. It's not fun.

Also, do you have the old Westell modem or a newer modem (most are Motorolla) ?
    The old ones short out after a year or so and must be replaced.

Lastly, if you have a router connected to the modem, it is very important that you set the modem to BRIDGE MODE.
    Many people do not do this, and it causes lots of problems. Although, I think if you are using DD-WRT, you do not need to set to Bridge mode.

5. Kit_

Newcomer Kit_ Member

United States
    Do you have the latest service pack 3? Is the ethernet port built into the motherboard or is it a Pci card?

6. Aijelsop
    OP

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    Got it. I clicked disable. It froze, and I restarted.