Internet help?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,459
  • Replies 15
D

Deleted User

OP
Not sure if this is the best section to post this but I didnt really think it belonged in PC since this isnt necessarilly about computers.
So the place Im staying has free internet, but theres a catch, it shuts off at a certain time. Now heres the weird part, it doesnt actually shut off. The connection is still available but connecting to it wont let you use it. On some devices....

I can still connect and do any internet activities on my iPad and 3DS, but my android phone and Wii U dont get passed and arent allowed access. Anyone have an explanation for this? Is there a way to get around this specifically on my Wii U because thats what Ive been wanting to use the most for Netflix and stuff.

If a mod thinks theres a more appropriate place for this please put it there.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
laudern's method is the easy way out of this.

More technically this sort of thing I see often enough in hotels, restaurants and such like with public wifi -- a little old phone might only want to check emails and will not use much bandwidth so you can let it roll, a laptop on the other hand...
The most common way is a mac address filter, the first part of a mac address often then being a give away as to the device being used ( http://standards.ieee.org/cgi-bin/ouisearch?infinite loop being one for Apple). If you can alter the mac address on your device then you can try copying another (don't have them active at the same time) or putting it in a similar range then you can get around this sort of thing. I do not think the Wii U is hacked enough for you to change your mac (actually I do not even think the wii is*) and I am not sure if android phones need to be rooted for it (various macs were changed for the ds homepass stuff but I did not follow the android side of things).

*they did use it for console bans but most working around it/preventing bans used the mac address that was dumped into conventional memory where the network itself would probably use the one burned into hardware.

D

Deleted User

OP
Connect your ipad to the internet then make a hot spot on your ipad and connect your wii to your ipad.
My ipad is a 1st gen wifi only model. How would I do this? It is jailbroken if that helps

D

Deleted User

OP
Jailbroken on 5.1.1 I assume?
You can "acquire" an IPA of PdaNet
Ok so I got it and cracked it. Now what? Like with other tethering programs Ive tried, it just shuts the wifi on my ipad off and continues to do nothing because I have a wifi only model. Is there some other way to tether without a data plan?

It DID broadcast a signal long enough for it to show up in my connections list on my other devices though so we're on the right track. Trying to connect to it just gives me an error that it cant communicate with it.

Last edited by ,

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Ok so I got it and cracked it. Now what? Like with other tethering programs Ive tried, it just shuts the wifi on my ipad off and continues to do nothing because I have a wifi only model. Is there some other way to tether without a data plan?

It DID broadcast a signal long enough for it to show up in my connections list on my other devices though so we're on the right track. Trying to connect to it just gives me an error that it cant communicate with it.
That is odd.. You should be able to do a "push wifi to wifi"
Screenshot the available options.

D

Deleted User

OP
4db246485acf6.png

Its this exactly, minus the carrier information at the top, I again have a Wifi only model I just pulled this off google

amoulton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4db246485acf6.png

Its this exactly, minus the carrier information at the top, I again have a Wifi only model I just pulled this off google
so just flip wifi hotspot on. I was able to find a liberated version 8.04 via the sinful iphone repo and it worked like a charm on my ipad mini retina.

Last edited by amoulton,

amoulton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should read my other post brah
do you have the latest version or do you have 5.0 as pictured? Sorry I don't have an iPad 1 to test, but it worked on my mini after I turned 3g off.

...it's possible that the original ipad's wifi chip isn't up to the task, but I surely don't know.

Have you tried MyWi? It's apparently more difficult to crack but it has way more toggles and stuff- I was able to get it to work- albeit on a 3 day trial

Last edited by amoulton,
D

Deleted User

OP
MyWi gave me the same issue. Turning on a hotspot just switches the iPad wifi connection off like its attempting to use a mobile connection.
Edit: The version of the app I have is 8.0.4

Last edited by ,

amoulton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MyWi gave me the same issue. Turning on a hotspot just switches the iPad wifi connection off like its attempting to use a mobile connection.
Edit: The version of the app I have is 8.0.4

So wifi becomes switched off after you try to broadcast?

This is how it operates on my iPad

It's not being tripped up by a lack of a cellular connection.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
So wifi becomes switched off after you try to broadcast?

This is how it operates on my iPad

It's not being tripped up by a lack of a cellular connection.
That is how it should work.
I fear that the last compatible version with iOS 5.1.1 did not have this implemented yet though :(
It also looks like he grabbed an iPhone IPA

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr