Internet goes on and off on my laptop

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am sure it's my laptop, because it's happening on two different networks.
I was online and every 5 minutes or so(not exactly) the page wouldnt load. i thought it was site lag but I opened google and it was just lloading on a blank screen.
It randomly would connect again (after like 20 seconds) and all the loading tabs would load at the same time.
Then it disconnects randomly again...
I thought it was my internet but I went somewhere else and im on a different network and it happened again twice

why is this happeneing?
The only thing ive installed in the past few days is CCleaner and a few games on steam

ONe thing i edited was I turned off automatically detect settings on the Lan settings because chrome does the 'resolving proxy' thing..

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Go to the network and sharing center in the windows control panel, in the left side click "change adapter settings", go to the properties for your wireless adapter or whatever, click the properties button, then find the TCP/IP / IPv4 settings, go to them, if they're not on automatic then take a screenshot for us.

Then go to the internet explorer settings (yes, you heard me right, and no I don't give a damn if you don't use IE, do this), go to the connection settings, click the "lan settings" button, take a screenshot for us.

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here:
u9VFMdd.png
QKfI5QL.png

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotta' double-click the IPv4 line in the first screenshot to get to those properties.

But yeah it looks like there's no system proxy set, weird.
I double clicked it and its all set to automatically obtain IP or whatever. nothing is set in the other lines

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
  1. In your start/globe menu, go to the "run" command. If you're on vista/7, you'd use the little white box near the bottom. Type in "CMD" and press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

2. In the black box that comes up, type this with no quotes, and press enter. "cd desktop".

3. Then in the black box, type this with no quotes and press enter. "ping -t 8.8.8.8 > ping.txt". It won't appear to do anything, just let it sit for a few minutes while it disconnects and reconnects at least once.

4. After it's done that, go back to the black box and press CTRL+C.

5. Type "exit" with no quotes and press enter to close the black box.

6. You should have ping.txt on your desktop. Copy it's contents onto a site like http://paste2.org/new-paste and link us.

EDIT: Spaced the stuff out.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Ouch, that's some intermittent packet loss right there.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy/
Install that, run it, when it's done gathering info go to the "networking" section, and tell us what it says for "connected through" (should be the second line). Just wanna' know what the exact model wireless adapter you have is.

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ouch, that's some intermittent packet loss right there.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy/
Install that, run it, when it's done gathering info go to the "networking" section, and tell us what it says for "connected through" (should be the second line). Just wanna' know what the exact model wireless adapter you have is.
Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adapter

also what is causing this? Could it be a virus or something?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I doubt it's some type of infection right now (especially since all your connection info is still on automatic), this is usually caused by either buggy drivers (which is the route we're going now) or some hardware issue with the adapter or the antennae.

http://download2.dvd-driver.cz/atheros/drivers/ar5xxx/win7-10.0.0.221-whql.zip
That's a relatively recent driver package that seems to cover your chipset. Install that, restart, see if the issue's still happening.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have seen this a few times when the wireless cards are starting to fail. They will disconnect and reconnect every so often especially when under load (downloading something). The cards will gradually degrade to a point where they disconnect every time you attempt a download.

Not saying this is 100% your problem I have just seen it quite a few times when servicing laptops.

Place your hand on or near the WIFI card when it is operating. Is it getting very hot?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Could be because of the default wifi drivers that windows come bundled with. (unstable on newer wireless chipsets), and / or scan valid interval value (everything between 75 - 95 fixes some wireless chipset <--> router connectivity issues. this one can be set up under Device Manager --> Network Adapters --> your wireless adapter, right click, properties, then advanced tab. (if it's not there, look for newer drivers)

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt it's some type of infection right now (especially since all your connection info is still on automatic), this is usually caused by either buggy drivers (which is the route we're going now) or some hardware issue with the adapter or the antennae.

http://download2.dvd-driver.cz/atheros/drivers/ar5xxx/win7-10.0.0.221-whql.zip
That's a relatively recent driver package that seems to cover your chipset. Install that, restart, see if the issue's still happening.
It stopped, if it starts happening again ill install that

I have seen this a few times when the wireless cards are starting to fail. They will disconnect and reconnect every so often especially when under load (downloading something). The cards will gradually degrade to a point where they disconnect every time you attempt a download.

Not saying this is 100% your problem I have just seen it quite a few times when servicing laptops.

Place your hand on or near the WIFI card when it is operating. Is it getting very hot?
This laptop is about 2 weeks old so Id hope the wifi card it isnt dying already :( and no it doesnt get hot when downloading something

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
edit: I forgot to ask how much WIFI congestion you have in your area. How many networks can you see when scanning. Are there any new ones that have shown up lately?
I'm not sure. Probably around 10 or 12 in my neighbor hood that i can find, however it didnt just happen on 1 wifi, it was 2 so thats not the issue. Plus my ipod works perfectly fine

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I've seen it happen on laptops using third party WiFi management software. When Windows Zero and the third party software fight over which settings to apply. Uninstalling the third party software sometimes fixed it. Other times it required updating the software/ drivers.

Reactions: Rydian

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[s
I've seen it happen on laptops using third party WiFi management software. When Windows Zero and the third party software fight over which settings to apply. Uninstalling the third party software sometimes fixed it. Other times it required updating the software/ drivers.
although It hasnt happened again, would it be safe to uninstal this?

ieAp9m1.png

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Windows has built in drivers/software for handling WiFi connections. If you uninstall third party WiFi apps, it will automatically fall back on Windows Zero (the Windows WiFi app). However that does not guarantee that the
Windows drivers will work flawlessly.

It's always best to download both the Windows drivers, the OEM drivers and the third party drivers/apps just to be safe if it ever stops working. Which you choose to run/install after that shouldn't matter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Plus a lot of the times they just seemed half hearted attempts