Internet channel

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Parsaw, Apr 12, 2007.

Apr 12, 2007

Internet channel by Parsaw at 4:10 PM (933 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Parsaw
    OP

Member Parsaw GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't see what the big deal is about the Internet Channel. If you can use the wifi on your Wii, you obviously have access to a computer, so, why waste your time with browsing the internet on your Wii, when you can just as easily browse it on your computer?

2. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    The wii browser is the best browser I've used apart from the ones on the PC of course. The biggest problem for me is that it doesn't support a USB keyboard something it really needed. You may have just the 1 pc in the house and a few people that want to access the internet. This is an ideal solution.

3. Parsaw
    OP

United States
    It takes so much longer to type everything on the Wii Browser than it would to just type in on a keyboard. I don't know how long it takes for anyone else, but it takes me alot longer on the Wii to type everything out. It's a big time waster. I can visit one site on my Wii in the same time frame it takes for me to visit three on my home PC. I feel it's just a showboat item. I also feel that the Wii Browser is just an item that Nintendo released to flaunt the Wii's abilities, while in reality it has no actual use.

4. andreq

Member andreq GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Wii : $300 CAD
    Wifi router : $20 CAD

Go on the web with a Wii : $320 ( + internet access price)

A Decent PC : $1000 CAD

....but ultimatly..... for me, as my Wii is located in my GF app. I use it when she's on her laptop and I just want to read some new thread or play little flash game as I don't have any computer handy (but normaly I got my laptop anyway [​IMG] )

5. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    browser on tv:
    bigger screen
    check your emails(etc) during commercials
    flash games made specifically for the wii remote
    being able to switch back and just watch regular ass TV

6. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    Yeah, like now I'm typing this from my Wii.
    I agree, it takes longer, but even though my PC is in the same room and it's available, I just got tired of sitting at my computer desk and decided to lean on my couch in front of my TV to check the rest of the news, and I'm really pleased so far with the update, especially the way the web pages are displayed now, I was able to modifying the option to adjust the screen size and now I can use every inch of my TV, and I also set the browser bar to auto hide, and it works like a charm....
    Now I can waste even more time on the internet, but mostly just to read, even though I'm quite convinced that typing constantly this way using the Wii remote, will make me a much stronger player in any first person shooter game !
    By the time Metroid prime 3 arrives, I will be ready to seriously kick some ass..... [​IMG]

7. ciama81

Member ciama81 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Unless I'm making an online purchase or writing an email, I'm using it a lot. I setup a google homepage with all my favorite sites, so i don't do much typing, but entering in an address is pretty easy. I wouldn't post in threads with it, but it's great for checking gaming blogs, checking email, and catching up on sites when I'm bored.

An RSS viewer would have been sweet, which is basically what the News Channel is. An RSS channel would be the bomb!

8. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Youtube on the big tube. That's the big deal.

9. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    The novelty of it is twofold. You find utility in it for various uses, or you're lazy and it's easier than turning on your PC for 5min to check gmail or a website you need to.

I mean with stuff like http://wii.joshbuhler.com/duckhunt/ and other places with wii made flash games it's hard to ignore. It's easy to use if you got 5-10min and want to check the news real quick (www or the channel) same with the weather. You can use it as an online jukebox to stream music through your stereo, hit up a lot of sites that require little to no typing and much more. I really can't see why someone would NOT want it, especially when it is free, and even when it is not $5 is 1 piddly NES game in exchange for a lot of use.

10. Parsaw
    OP

United States

Duck hunt you say? I'm interested in that! When I get home, I'm going to that site.

Well, I guess you guys are right, and my question, "What's the big deal?" got answered, thanks. [​IMG]

11. mikeosoft

Member mikeosoft GBAtemp Regular

United States
    any other good games?

12. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada

hey Umm don't you need a computer to set up wifi?

13. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    albino black sheep has a bunch of em... [​IMG]

I really love two of them... (of those I've tried):

The best of them all, really arty and soft... and just lovely:
    Boomshine: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/games/boomshine

Fun, but maybe not so wii-ish:
    Linerider : http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/games/linerider

And two more that are really worth to mention:
    Firing range type o' game, not that fun...:
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/shoot

and a really cool one, that I have yet to try on wii:
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/games/missilegame3d

(All wii-games: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/games/wii/ )