Internet Channel + Orb = Easy Sopcast via the Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by AdamBrunt, Apr 26, 2010.

1. AdamBrunt
    OP

Member AdamBrunt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hi all,

I may be extremely slow on the uptake and everyone else might know this already but ...

After struggling for ages trying to get a sopcast stream to play on the Wii (using Sopcast, VLC and TVersity running on a PC), today I came across this post on another forum.

It took a mere couple of minutes to setup (and had to change the link in Step 2 to be http://127.0.0.1:8902/stream ) but other than that it worked straight away with no problems at all [​IMG]

You still need the Sopcast channel to be running on the PC at the same time but there is no need for TVersity of VLC.

Hope other people find this useful

Regards,

Adam Brunt

2. elmariachi

Member elmariachi GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    tnx, will try this over the weekend [​IMG]

3. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Thanks for this, bookmarked this!
    I always watch soccer via Sopcast, glad to hear I can do it on my TV now [​IMG]

4. AdamBrunt
    OP

I haven't tested it with a football stream yet (I couldn't find any at the time) and the only stream I tested it on was pretty low quality.

I will be testing again later - hopefully at the weekend when soccer streams are more popular / better quality.

EDIT: Just realised there's a Champions League game on so tried agian now. The bitrate this time was better (550 Kbps compared to 300 Kbps when I first tried it ... but the green bar was only at about 85%) and whilst Sopcast wasn't stuttering/pausing on the PC, the Wii kept buffering every few minutes. Presumably my archaic PC may not be up to the job.

I will still try again at the weekend though.

5. crezwell

Member crezwell GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Yeah i'd been doing this for a while with sopcast playing through mplayer-ce, always meant to write up instructions that i had from another site, but well....never got round to it. If anyone wants instructions then i'll post them if there's interest. Ive moved onto veetle now tho and watching on the laptop as the picture is superb.
    Can be hit and miss thru mplayer-ce at times, sometimes have to restart mplayer-ce a few times.
    The strange thing ive found tho is altho the video is streamed from a pc, the video on the wii is actually at a more advanced stage than on sopcast. Only by 5 seconds say but still wierd.

6. broksonic

Member broksonic GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    @Adambrunt

Thanks for this. Works well and was very easy to setup . I am having to use wii browser because i dont know how to use mplayer to link to orb

7. AdamBrunt
    OP

Updating my own thread [​IMG]

If you look in the WiiMC forums [ http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f...t=sopcast#p2074 ] the first post will show you that you don't even need Orb and the Wii browser anymore.

Get hold of WiiMC (which you should have anyway as it is that good) and then do what it says in the first post in the link above.

When the time comes, start Sopcast on the PC and get the required stram running and then go to the Online Media section in WiiMC and find Sopcast in the "My Streams" folder.

I haven't tried it on a 'strongly seeded' stream yet to know if this gives better quality though.

8. smallyfish

Newcomer smallyfish Newbie

United States
    If anyone wants instructions then i'll post them if there's interest. Ive moved onto veetle now tho and watching on the laptop as the picture is superb.
    Can be hit and miss thru mplayer-ce at times, sometimes have to restart mplayer-ce a few times.Problem solved,thanks for sharing.