Internal PSP Problem

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by sjones900, Jun 10, 2008.

Jun 10, 2008

Internal PSP Problem by sjones900 at 3:41 AM (981 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. sjones900
    OP

Member sjones900 GBAtemp Advanced Member

United States
    Well my cousin saw that I had cfw and said "I just have to have that." and so I gave it to him. He started out on 3.71 m33-3 but he needed the next update to play the latest games then he went to 3.90 m33-3 worked great for about a month and a half then he called me and told it began to freeze so I took back taking a look at first glance at the xmb it looks fine but if you move around to fast it will freeze same goes for games so I thought maybe if I update to 3.95 GEN it would stop freezing so I was lucky and it didn't freeze during the update, it went back to the xmb no problems except it still freezes every now and then sum1 help he's only had it about 3 months but its 3 years old so its a phat psp.

-thanks in advance

2. solange82200

Member solange82200 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I wonder, are Memory Sticks the same as MicroSD's in the DS flashcarts, when it comes to fragmentation? What I'm trying to say is, does formatting your memory stick (in order to defrag it) help performance in any way? Because with Micro SD's in the DS flashcarts, after deleting and adding games over and over, it can become fragmented and slow it down, and this is fixed by formatting the card. Is it the same with PSP memory sticks, does anyone know?

3. sjones900
    OP

United States
    I know that is true but he doesn't exactly add a bunch of iso's since he only has a 1 gig but i'll give it a try anyway...he does add and remove music left and right maybe

4. camx

Member camx GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Dont defragment flash memory. Start fresh with your MS. Copy everything off, copy it back, etc. Mine does this every now and again, and its always fixed by me getting rid of all the clutter on there.

FYI it happens the most when i have irshell on the memory stick but i'm not actually using it, as in I turn it off in recovery.

5. sjones900
    OP

United States
    what exactly would cause that its just the memory stick

6. sjones900
    OP

United States
    ok now I figured it out it was a combination of both the firmware and mem. stick when I upgraded to 3.95 Gen it got slightly better all was left was the mem. stick thank you that really helped

7. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    but the problem is still there isnt it? you said IT GOT SLIGHTLY BETTER.

Have you tried pressing SELECT on the XMB and changing the Processor speed in XMB and ISOs into 333/166?

or, when starting up the PSP, hold the R button and you will be taken to the Recovery Menu, there, you can change the processor speed in the CONFIGURATION.

8. solange82200

Member solange82200 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi Camx, I know you shouldnt defrag flash memory, but I heard you should format it every now and then (at least with Microsd's). So you think that with the memory sticks it would be just as good to delete everything off and jsut put it back on at once, without having to format it? Mine is working great now, but I want to make sure it stays that way [​IMG]

9. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
  10. sjones900
    OP

United States
    well it is still there he has one of the sony 1 gig memory sicks could that be it

11. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    XMB doesnt boot from the memory sticks, ok?

So no matter how shitty your memory stick is, when you are in the XMB menu, it ideally wont slow down, it has its own powerful processor so its not affected with the memory stick. When playing ISOs, it will definitely slow down with a crappy MS but XMB, never.

Anyway, i didnt have to format my memory stick unless i had to make a Magic memory stick.

MicroSD cards, well i guess from DS, will slow even the menu because it is in the flashcart.

And again:
    Have you tried pressing SELECT on the XMB and changing the Processor speed in XMB and ISOs into 333/166?

or, when starting up the PSP, hold the R button and you will be taken to the Recovery Menu, there, you can change the processor speed in the CONFIGURATION.

12. sjones900
    OP

United States
    yes same effect with it clocked at 333/166 or not it still freezes