Tutorial Internal modchip - SAMD21 (Trinket M0, Gemma M0, ItsyBitsy M0 Express) Guide, Files & Support

mrdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Got my trinket today. Was planning to do the internal mod.

Have been having a bit of a mare with the trinket though. I haven't had any luck with even getting it to be detected by my PC to allow me to programme it, or any other computer which I have access to for that matter.

When the trinket is plugged it, I get the green power light, and nothing else. The RGB LED doesn't blink. Doesn't get recognized as a connected device in Windows. Nothing. I am at the point now where I reckon the board is knackered and I should get a replacement, but was hoping somebody with more experience with this can point me in the right direction for a bit of troubleshooting. I am aware that the trinket has an issue with USB 3.0 ports, so have tried laptops with US 2.0, to no avail. I have tried various USB cables to try and rule that out. I have tried using Ubuntu to see if it will be detected in ubuntu. I have not even been able to get the trinket to show at all on a PC. :( I have ordered another USB sync cable incase this is the issue.

If somebody might have had any issues with the Trinket M0 before that might be able to offer an insight, I would appreciate it.

I've spent long enough on this tonight now, so I'm going to bed and will check back here tomorrow.

Thanks to anybody who is able to offer any advise or pointers. :yay:

If you didn't change any files - the trinket comes with some python file + a couple of others when you plug it into your pc via a usb cable. After a second or two an led starts cycling through various colours + the power led is also lit.

If you pressed the reset button twice - you see some different files.

If it doesn't show up on your computer as a drive, you should try using a different laptop. Or just supply 3.3 volts + gnd to the relevant pins as the usb port might be dodgy - if it starts cycling the led through various colours you'll know it's a laptop/usb cable or usb connector problem - otherwise maybe the bootloader hasn't been programmed or the device is defective.

Reactions: Cosmic_Link

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if I put a reed switch on the bat line? Would that keep it from draining the battery? I could just use a magnet when I want to inject the payload.

Does anybody know if this would work or why it wouldn't?

Like this:

Attachments

• trinket_installation.png
    trinket_installation.png
    635.6 KB · Views: 390
Last edited by invaderyoyo,
Reactions: Assasin1990

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got mine finished last night and yeah A case would be nice. Here is some images with A quarter and AAA battery for reference..The cable is A 6in amazonbasics one just black..someonehad one that was white earlier..And I soldered header pins on it so I can take the battery off when necessary. Battery is overkill but 3.7v but other than an on/off switch and case i'm fine with it. Wish I had gotten two just in case I lose this small thing.

Attachments

• switch m0 trinket.jpg
    switch m0 trinket.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 454
Last edited by link42586,

Okisub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Does anyone have a nice close photo of the options to solder to the joycon pin 10 for the wire from #3 on the trinket board?

jouyduro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@mattytrog os it possible to use Arduino nano to send payload to the switch? I don't need it inside, just wanted to use for sending payloads, then unplug it..
Could it work?
I just want to do something with this Arduino, as it is laying around here with no purpose..

LineoftheDead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if I put a reed switch on the bat line? Would that keep it from draining the battery? I could just use a magnet when I want to inject the payload.

Does anybody know if this would work or why it wouldn't?

Like this:
I was just thinking about doing this lol - OFC it will work :P
I'm gonna swap the reset switch with a reed and throw another reed in for bat on mine when I feel like it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Does anyone have a nice close photo of the options to solder to the joycon pin 10 for the wire from #3 on the trinket board?
https://github.com/Quantum-cross/sam-fusee-launcher-internal/blob/master/INSTALL.md
This is the original guide, lots of pictures there.

Honestly, I would just disconnect the battery, solder a wire to pin 10, wrap wire on multimeter lead, connect other multimeter lead to a small sheet of tin foil, then touch the foil to different areas on the circuit board to find continuity. I was gonna do this today.... but its boring

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just thinking about doing this lol - OFC it will work :P
I'm gonna swap the reset switch with a reed and throw another reed in for bat on mine when I feel like it

https://github.com/Quantum-cross/sam-fusee-launcher-internal/blob/master/INSTALL.md
This is the original guide, lots of pictures there.

Honestly, I would just disconnect the battery, solder a wire to pin 10, wrap wire on multimeter lead, connect other multimeter lead to a small sheet of tin foil, then touch the foil to different areas on the circuit board to find continuity. I was gonna do this today.... but its boring
Thanks for the response. That's good to hear. It didn't cross my mind to do it for the reset switch.

What about the trinket's boot up time? I've never used one before so idk, but with a pi zero I have to wait a bit before it'll inject the payload. Is that the case here, too?

LineoftheDead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the response. That's good to hear. It didn't cross my mind to do it for the reset switch.

What about the trinket's boot up time? I've never used one before so idk, but with a pi zero I have to wait a bit before it'll inject the payload. Is that the case here, too?
skip to the end of my video :D

Al-hwj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just finished my external trinket m0 dongle using 20mm Coin Cell Breakout w/On-Off Switch (CR2032). Works great! Hoping to add usb c breakout board and maybe some kind of housing.

I did exactly the same, it look good and work pretty well.
Do you have any idea for a case ?

Switchgamer90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a question in regards to the permanent trinket m0 install. Since i already have the right joycon modified to boot into RCM so can i skip soldering trinket points 3 & 4 to the tiny cap and joycon pin 10?

Last edited by Switchgamer90,

Joxley192

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes u can but the trinket might always be on and it will drain the battery of the switch until u put a a switch or a press button on the switch if u look at the pic u might see my press button but it is hard to see

and this is it working using point 3 and 4 u just need a good soldering iron i used a 60w and flux this is the smallest thing i have ever soliderd and i havent dont much soldering before only wires and a couple of 360 jtags / rgh so it was a big chance of me fucking up but was totally worth it

Attachments

• JPEG_20180628_121219.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 253

Switchgamer90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes u can but the trinket might always be on and it will drain the battery of the switch until u put a a switch or a press button on the switch if u look at the pic u might see my press button but it is hard to see

I see the button now so to clarify things.

and this is it working using point 3 and 4 u just need a good soldering iron i used a 60w and flux this is the smallest thing i have ever soliderd and i havent dont much soldering before only wires and a couple of 360 jtags / rgh so it was a big chance of me fucking up but was totally worth it

I understand but the risk is too much for soldering on the tiny cap. I could easily take the cap off with too much heat. I read somewhere that you could program the trinket m0 to turn off after couple seconds of injecting the payload hence solving the battery drain problem. I have minimal knowledge of programming so i could be wrong here.

Joxley192

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think u can but not myself if i didnt already have this installed i would give it a go but dont want to have to uninstall point 3 and 4

_gianno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Got the micro usb to usb cable and works perfect . Thinking of adding usb c breakout shown in pic. Anyone know alternate solder points as they are tiny. Btw thanks to the Op!
Is this short cable a micro usb to usb C cable??? I cannot find any of it in Italy! Could you post the link of amazon?

Talha_Yilmaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey everyone.

I have a problem with the setup. I have bought the Trinket and i managed to get a red flashy LED while connected to the PC (when i press the button). But the "TRINKETBOOT" drive does not show up. It suppose to show up so that i just can drag and drop the files onto it right? Maybe you guys can help. Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Did I not spend 5 minutes mocking that rule?