Tutorial Internal modchip - SAMD21 (Trinket M0, Gemma M0, ItsyBitsy M0 Express) Guide, Files & Support

BaamAlex

LED Furzkackleuchte
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, thank you for reply. That was my guess based on ATSAMD21 datasheet. Still can't get though, what's the difference with pushing the reset button with a magnet on adafruit's trinket vs rcmX86? Would it work if I just use a stronger magnet with rcmX86? And if there any way to see (I guess "no", but anyway) if a modchip is enabled or disabled at the moment? To prevent extra battery drain.
You don't need a magnet for the trinket m0 afaik. Just for the rcm x86 to flash files to it when it is connected with your pc.

Quezacotl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
A reed switch isn't a magnet. A magnet for the reed switch is needed to connect the pins inside the glass. You misunderstood something I would say.
I did not. I know what it is. It's just simplifying. Too many times people are like "what is a reed switch? I have only this what reacts to a magnet".
Hello, thank you for reply. That was my guess based on ATSAMD21 datasheet. Still can't get though, what's the difference with pushing the reset button with a magnet on adafruit's trinket vs rcmX86? Would it work if I just use a stronger magnet with rcmX86? And if there any way to see (I guess "no", but anyway) if a modchip is enabled or disabled at the moment? To prevent extra battery drain.
Hmm... leave the magnet out of the button switch. It's only for the reed switch.

The modchip doesn't use that much power that you would ever notice. And it wakes up only when the console wakes.
Modchip is always enabled, or better to say, always ready to send the payload.

The disabling i was talking about was if you want to boot normally. Just couple of seconds keeping the reset does the trick. And it is not needed normally, because you can do the same from hekate. Mostly just for troubleshooting purposes.

Reactions: uniquetusk

mrdude

Trophies
XP
Country
The modchip doesn't use that much power that you would ever notice. And it wakes up only when the console wakes.
Modchip is always enabled, or better to say, always ready to send the payload.
Chip has this code to put it into low power mode, which uses next to zero battery once the payload is sent:

Code:
void sleepmode(){
  USB->DEVICE.CTRLA.bit.ENABLE = 0;
  USB->DEVICE.CTRLA.bit.RUNSTDBY = 0;
  SysTick->CTRL &= ~SysTick_CTRL_TICKINT_Msk;
  SCB->SCR |= SCB_SCR_SLEEPDEEP_Msk;
  PM->SLEEP.reg = 2;
  __DSB(); // Ensure effect of last store takes effect 
  __WFI(); // Enter sleep mode
}

Also you can do this just incase it wakes up:
Code:
LowPower.sleep();

That should be the only code in the main loop, all other code to send the payload is done before the main loop is ever entered.

Kawaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey Guy's,
I got a question about the trinket m0.
I install recently one in my switch and when i charge it, the trinket get randomly triggert by it self on some times. Is that Normal?
I connect all wires

Quezacotl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hey Guy's,
I got a question about the trinket m0.
I install recently one in my switch and when i charge it, the trinket get randomly triggert by it self on some times. Is that Normal?
I connect all wires
Check installation for cold solders and shorts, on console and the trinket. Also i got same problem one time of bad flashing of .uf2 file which fixed it by flashing again.

Kawaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I Install first the Project "sam-fusee-launcher-internal" on the trinket m0 over the Arduino App, than i install this Project with the two UF2 files (i changed of course the pins) because someone on a other Thread said this is better. i that maybe the problem? I see nowhere a tutorial for a factory reset for the trinket

Quezacotl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I Install first the Project "sam-fusee-launcher-internal" on the trinket m0 over the Arduino App, than i install this Project with the two UF2 files (i changed of course the pins) because someone on a other Thread said this is better. i that maybe the problem? I see nowhere a tutorial for a factory reset for the trinket
What pin changing? I haven't needed to change any pins on neither hardware or software side..

Kawaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I mean the soldering points on the trinket, from the other method.
I changed from this to the new in this forum
trinket_installation.png

Diekatzchen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an RCMX86 I got off Tindie a while ago, found this thread while looking at the how-to-install thread. Since it's not already installed, can I just solder some flying wires to it and program it before installing, or is that somehow a bad idea? And if I do, should I even bother with the reed switch?

BaamAlex

LED Furzkackleuchte
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I dunno how the chip works. But afaik you need a magnet and a pc. Put the magnet on the back of the console (with the chip soldered in). Here a picture which tells you what exactly you have to do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211212-130313_GitHub.png
    Screenshot_20211212-130313_GitHub.png
    702.3 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Alexander1970

Diekatzchen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno how the chip works. But afaik you need a magnet and a pc. Put the magnet on the back of the console (with the chip soldered in). Here a picture which tells you what exactly you have to do.
Yes, but I'm saying that the chip is sitting on my desk, so I don't need the magnet to flash it the first time. And once I have it flashed, I can put it in flash mode without the magnet. So can I forego the magnet or is there some situation where I'd still need it?

MAMUNOZ310

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys I just wanted to get some more feedback on what I got going with my switch
It’s a v1 bt last owner decided to get a trinket m0 installed via eBay service
I wanted to see if this soldering gust from looking at it will hold up and if I’m told correctly I still have to hold power volume + and use a jig after every reboot?
Also if the chip itself is flashed with a certain payload if I understand correctly, do I need to get it reflashed to use hekate payload? Just need to understand where I’m at because last guy was using it to go straight to sx os
72124346-DCDB-4C20-9FFB-4739403C0210.jpeg
C248A17F-7651-4C3C-9E48-8E9C0C484260.jpeg

BaamAlex

LED Furzkackleuchte
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Also if the chip itself is flashed with a certain payload if I understand correctly
No. The chip reads a payload from the root of your sd card.

I still have to hold power volume + and use a jig after every reboot?
That's why you install the chip. You don't need the jig when it is soldered in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Naendow @ Naendow: @KennieDaMeanie Yea sometimes. :D