1. pyorin

pyorin Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    to get back on the topic of internal installs for a bit, I've been playing around with an idea :ninja:

[​IMG]

2. mattytrog

OP mattytrog You don`t want to listen to anything I say.

United Kingdom
    Whats the idea chief?

3. pyorin

pyorin Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    glad you asked :P front facing dotstar RGB status LED :D

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82 likes this.
  4. mattytrog

United Kingdom
    Very nice idea!

However... I think what I would do, is:

• Modify the aluminium chassis slightly, allowing yourself to solder / fix the DotStar LED directly above the LDR (light-dependent resistor) on the board.
    Good idea!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Untitled-1.jpg

pyorin likes this.
  5. pyorin

pyorin Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I guess in my defense, I figured for a quick prototype that it would be easier to dremel plastic instead of aluminum :P I definitely want it mounted to the board in some way for a permanent install though, so I will likely play around with this idea :)

6. mattytrog

United Kingdom
    No need for a defence, sir!

Its a good idea.

I just like the board to be all-as-one, to minimise the chances of pulled traces by those who come after us.

You could even move the photosensor up or down slightly, or mount it vertically. This would allow you the room you need

pyorin likes this.
  7. acidcoolxxx

acidcoolxxx Member
    Newcomer

Austria
    Hi folks,

i have a Trinket mini flying around. Work this board too?

8. pyorin

pyorin Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    this product? if so, no; this method is only compatible with boards that utilize the Atmel SAMD21 microcontroller.

9. pyorin

pyorin Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lot of people have a modchip by now, but how many really have a switch modchip? :P

wanted to make a small SAMD21 board for my own installs, but once I rounded the corners I knew I had to go with this design :D

edit: went ahead and finished it all up tonight; maybe some small changes later but it should be good to go :)

Last edited by pyorin, Mar 8, 2020
    gamesquest1 likes this.
  10. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

im actually thinking you could design a nice little board with quick solder pads that slots perfectly just behind the usb port, I haven't checked all the points for 3v but I saw a few reading at 3.7 nearby, not sure what the tolerances are on the trinket or if you could simply drop the voltage down slightly on the board, but I could imagine something similar to the xenogc should be possible, something a little like this

ok just looked at a couple of motherboards and seen the -10 revision has slightly different placements than -01so added a few more cutouts so it would work for both board revisions
    mockup2.jpg

Last edited by gamesquest1, Mar 8, 2020
    Shadow_The_Hedgehog82 and pyorin like this.
  11. pyorin

pyorin Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    huh, yeah, I hadn't considered just how many of the points for a basic autorcm install are clustered right there :O might have to think about that one after this project :)

12. pyorin

pyorin Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alright, I really polished the hell out of this thing :wtf: now it's off to oshpark before I change my mind :P

cmcollander likes this.
  13. pyorin

pyorin Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    [​IMG]

@mattytrog absolutely kicking myself for not just dremeling the housing first; a fine bit can create a trench that gives the LED the headroom necessary to seat properly when mounted vertically on the motherboard :D additionally, one of the pins on the light sensor is on the 3.3V line, so now only the two input lines for the dotstar need to be run back to the trinket :)

14. mattytrog

United Kingdom
    Wooo!!! And if you do dremel the edge, the light sensor function won`t be impaired, as the dotstar is blocking the gap ;)

15. pcwizard7

pcwizard7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Does anyone know where to find pre-made chips / someone who could make one? are there any notable differences between the different chips?

thanks

16. CompSciOrBust

CompSciOrBust GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I have been using a SwitchMe for over a year and it has worked fine but a few weeks ago my switch went flat and now it won't charge. I'm using the old 4 wire method + the accidental rcm strap. If I plug the switch in to power the led on the chip lights up but trying to run off of battery does nothing and the switch won't boot in to rcm mode. Do you know why this might be?

17. shadowLord05139

Newcomer

New Zealand
    Hi guys I've installed this mod but am having issues it's not loading payloads when it puts the switch into rcm mode I've attached a pic below #Mattytrog please help

Attached Files:

18. radialblur

radialblur Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Question relating to wire used, I've read the FAQ and seen the suggestions, can anyone comment if "30 Gauge Silicone Wire" is OK please? Specifically this stuff: B077GQQXRY on Amazon UK. (sorry can't post a link, forum thinks its spam)

I know the OP mentioned getting Kynar covered, however I'm finding it difficult to source, and while I'm locked down I'd quite like to get the trinket in to my Switch.

Many thanks.

19. SirFranko

SirFranko Newbie
    Newcomer

Australia
    Looking at the wire its

Solid core would be my recommendation, much easier and cleaner to work with.

20. Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    Has anyone had issue using 0.1mm magnet wire I've had my trinket installed in the newer configuration for quite a while but yesterday it just stopped working and I had to reinstall it, The wires were all still attached can they burn out and stop working or something?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - ItsyBitsy, Internal, (Trinket