Internal modchip - SAMD21 (Trinket M0, Gemma M0, ItsyBitsy M0 Express) Guide, Files & Support

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by mattytrog, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Marax

Marax Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Ive wired up my RCM X86 but now in Horizon the Right Joycon doesnt work on the Console. I think its because of Pin 10 is shorted can anybody help me?

Last edited by Marax, Jun 23, 2019
  2. mattytrog
    OP

mattytrog You don`t want to listen to anything I say.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    @mrdude Cheers for that! Will check it out.

Guessing you are following the RCMX86 diagram rather then the one in the OP...

Let me guess: Joycon wire going to D0(the far left one on the chip).

This is wrong. Please refer to the graphic in OP.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It resets the chip upon disconnect from USB, pushing payload. Otherwise, you would remain in RCM.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

@mrdude

I am completely rewriting all of my mods for Hekate.

Full 8.1.0 support
    There is now a fully operational file browser
    Create backups / emuMMC from any location
    Extra Hekate debug features (minerva / fuel gauge / batt cfg) enabled by default

Removed some unused features to conserve space:
    Screenshot (who the fook uses it?)

More being done...

All other features you expect...

Had to be done. Switchboot v1.3.x was not the most efficient.

Stack space was always a squash.

So, keep an eye out for Switchboot 1.4.0 in next couple of days.

Right off to mow the lawn before it pisses it down.

Last edited by mattytrog, Jun 23, 2019
    recgame77, mrdude and Marax like this.
  3. Marax

Marax Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2017
    Gambia, The
    OMG it works thank you Man! Ive forgot to flash the Uf1 before...

mattytrog likes this.
  4. mattytrog
    OP

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Yes. So if you have vol+ soldered too, you can change between permanent CFW boot or dual-boot.

Marax likes this.
  5. mrdude

mrdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    @mattytrog - looking forward to checking it out, no rush though, just when you feel the urge and get time.

Here's the updated source code for argon-nx mod. (no need to post sd card files as you already have them).

Attached Files:

mattytrog likes this.
  6. mrdude

Dec 11, 2015
    @mattytrog, Since you're doing a re-write and now emunand is a thing for everyone. A good Idea would be to add a 'safe mode/toggle titles' - which would rename the titles folder in SXOS and Atmosphere to 'titles.bak' or something like that. That way when people are using themes or modules that don't work on all firmwares they can quickly hit a button or something to see if that's the issue with causing the nand/emunand to not boot properly.
    Now it's not a problem if your switch boots - but if you're out and about with no access to a laptop or a way to access the micro sd card and want to switch nands and forgot to remove your custom theme's etc - this would be useful.

Just saying - but obviously it's your software, It's just a suggestion and nothing more.

Thanks.

7. recgame77

recgame77 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2015
    Cameroon
    @mattytrog thanks for all clear and calm answers, you rock !

8. ZerOneX

ZerOneX Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    Canada
    Sorry to disturb you guys again with such n00b questions, but I am trying to figure out my best option here as I do not have ANYMORE all my soldering tools.... just have some.

I checked the VOL+ soldering point and, my gosh... it is very small and just an small error will damage the resistor for sure...

After that I am reconsidering few things....

If I keep using the AUTORCM, I would not have to solder those two points (JOYCON and VOL+ straps)... so far so good.

But talking from the chipset perspective.... which would be my best choices... which bootloader/payload should I use instead...

Before, I just flashed my trinket with: Part 1 (Bootloader) - SWITCHBOOT_TRINKET_JOYCON_VOLUME and Part 2 (Payload) - TRINKET_SWITCHBOOT_PART2_V135a

Thank you guys... really.

Regards,

ZerO.

9. mattytrog
    OP

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    In your case, what I would do, I'm assuming you arent bothered about fuses)...

Update to 8.1.0 stock... Burn your fuses. No reason to stay on lower fuses with a modchip...

Then... Have it dual boot. Solder joycon only.

Then use the part 1 joycon only file for your chip.

Then you just power on normally, or hold vol+ and power on for cfw.

Payload? Use fusee-uf2 v3.

Then run whatever you like from SD.

The only things you will lose by doing all this, is the extra chip options that are only accessible with a press of vol+. Ie choose payload1.bin, payload2.bin etc via hardware and adjust led brightness and a couple more things.
    You could always fit a switch or a wire somewhere if you were that bothered.

But these things are absolutely NOT REQUIRED to run any payload or boot in any way... They are just extra toys for the MCU freaks among us.

Once fusee uf2 is flashed, choose your payload, any bin file, throw it on SD and you are done.

ZerOneX likes this.
  10. kylum

kylum GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2008
    United States
    @mattytrog So with the introduction of EmuMMC what/ if any options do those of us have that are still on the four wire and utilizing AutoRCM have?

I read somewhere (can’t find it again) that 7.x/8.x breaks AutoRCM, let me know if I’m mistaken! I’m still on 5.1.0 and personally have not had the need to update until now. I really like having AutoRCM and the idea of not burning fuses(have 4.1.0 fuse count). I really don’t want to open the switch up again to solder all straps, I’m lazy but I do have above average soldering skills.

Thanks in advance

11. mattytrog
    OP

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    OK...
    Autorcm is not broken in any firmware.

All your options remain the same sir

The 4 wire install is still fine.

kylum likes this.
  12. kylum

kylum GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2008
    United States
    Thanks. I remember reading that you couldn’t have Hekate load stock on 8.x. Or Crap... Which isn’t broken AutoRCM, sorry that’s what I meant . I’m guessing that’s BS or Hekate just needed an update at the time of me reading that..

13. ZerOneX

ZerOneX Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    Canada
    Matt, it came to my mind yday, instead soldering directly on the resistor (vol+) I could sold it directly on the connector pin.

As far as I could see, it is a much more reliable and solid point.

It brought me on track again to use the new universal method with both stripes.

What do you think?

Cheers mate.

Have a good one.

14. Marax

Marax Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2017
    Gambia, The
    I pressed Vol + before i know that it deletes the Uf2. Now when i press the Power Button it brings me into RCM and dont start any kind of Payload.
    But i can manually inject a payload with PC. I dissasembled my Switch and soldered the magnetical switch between the Rst and GND on my RCM-x86 then i used the Tegra Smash from PC to boot into Atmosphere. Then i used the Magnet but the Chip doesnt goes into RCM mode ...

Anyone knows an Answer?

15. PSxed

PSxed GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2014
    Netherlands
    I just restored my 7.0.1 NAND and booted stock firmware. Signed in and downloaded the 8.0.1 firmware and installed it. After that i got a popup that i had to restart my device. Because i have no sd card inserted it boots switchboot (v1.3.4 / hekate v4.10.1) directly. But when i pick "Reboot (Normal)" i get stuck in a black screen. How do i boot into horizon.. :/

16. mrdude

Dec 11, 2015
    If you have auto rcm enabled, disable it - then you should be able to boot into Horizon properly.

17. PSxed

PSxed GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2014
    Netherlands
    I have never enabled auto rcm. I've always used both straps and used autoboot by the chip itself.

edit:

I desoldered the "volume up" strap so i could avoid the auto boot by the chip. And Horizon boots fine that way. Am i doing something stupid? How do i boot to Horizon with both straps enabled?

Last edited by PSxed, Jun 28, 2019
  18. 210modz

210modz GBAtemp Fan

Aug 11, 2017
    United States
    anyone have the hekate ctcaer 5.0.0 uf2 for switchme?

19. mrdude

Dec 11, 2015
    Depends on what payload you are using on your chip - I use Argon-NX mod on mine and don't have issues, I needed to mod the code as the panic code that was being sent was blocking Horizon OS from loading - maybe on never versions of the software (if using mattytrog's software), he's modded this so it works, but you'll need to ask him. Or someone else that's using that software with the same chip wiring as you have. If you have AutoRCM enabled though in Firmware - panic code will already be sent and trying to get to Horizon to run from a payload doesn't work (unless you mod the code).

20. Mr_Alaska

Mr_Alaska Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2019
    United States
    Is there an advantage of one chip over another? I got the Trinket m0 as it seems to be the most popular one and will probably install it tomorrow.