Internal modchip - SAMD21 (Trinket M0, Gemma M0, ItsyBitsy M0 Express) Guide, Files & Support

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by mattytrog, Jun 20, 2018.

1. 64Dp128k

64Dp128k Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Took the plunge did trinket internal install method 1. Working perfect.

mattytrog likes this.
  2. noX1609

noX1609 B9S freak ;)

Aug 30, 2016
    Germany
    @mattytrog: Do you know if thats a capacitor or a resistor where you solder the 3v point to and do you know the value and size?
    Because a friend of mine tried to solder the chip in and got lost of this tiny piece and now we need to know what it is to order a new one and place it in :(

3. mooglazer

mooglazer GBAtemp Regular

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    ./

Last edited by mooglazer, Aug 7, 2018
  4. slslasher

slslasher GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2015
    Singapore
    Thanks to both!
    Alright, because picture 2 gnd point is nearer so I would use that.

For the rcm strap point for picture 2, it is the left pad of the orange line you draw right? Because I saw that alternate points to solder from other pics not in this thread is in on the underside of the mobo and you gotta bridge 2 components.

5. tecfreak

tecfreak GBAtemp Regular

Apr 24, 2018
    Germany
    Berlin
    4.7μF 0402/1005

Last edited by tecfreak, Jul 12, 2018
    noX1609 likes this.
  6. noX1609

noX1609 B9S freak ;)

Aug 30, 2016
    Germany
    Thanks, you saved us :)
    Ok now i have to order some of them on ebay and hope he don‘t destroyed the pads on motherboard :(
    Is there an alternative for this point so i can repair it with wires if the pads are gone? Because when i have seen it right and messured correctly One side of the pin (opposit from where you need to solder is a ground point so i could use any ground point for it and there are a lot on the mainboard ;)

7. SilokoTech

SilokoTech Newbie

Newcomer
    May 15, 2018
    Brazil
    hi, which file should i write to trinket to use as a dongle for sx os?

8. noX1609

noX1609 B9S freak ;)

Aug 30, 2016
    Germany
    Another question to the point where 3v needs to be soldered. I just saw that he ripped the Pad where the top of the capacitor is soldered to :( (the point to 3v is the bottom one just for orientation.
    So is there an alternative point where i can solder the new top pad of the capacitor to?
    I would search for my own but because the pad is gone that doesn‘t work :(
    Please help us. We would be happy if we could get the switch back working because he just got it to his birthday last week.
    I told him to wait until i have time because i have done 3 Switches now without a problem but he wanted to try it for his own and now this happened.

EDIT: And is the other one underneath the one you solder to the same? Because this one doesn‘t look good too so i would change both

Last edited by noX1609, Jul 12, 2018
  9. mattytrog
    OP

mattytrog Up yours...

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    4.7 microfarad (uF).

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Pro trinkets are 328p if I remember correctly. Therefore no it won't work due to lack of usb host mode.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Just have a check that the ruined top pad isn't going to ground. If it is, then it's used for filtering and you can omit it as the bottom pad would still have power. If it isn't going to ground, then you are going to have to flip the board over.
    Looking at it from a picture, there seems to be two testpoints nearby underneath if you flip the board over. Check one of them are 3v. I could help you but I don't have a removed motherboard with me :(

EDIT: just read that you have buzzed it out and it is indeed going to ground. Lucky! So it seems it is used for filtering or smoothing. You could leave it out but the power supply would be less smooth. Will it cause problems? Maybe, maybe not.

You could fit the trinket to the remaining good bottom pad as per the install instructions and when it comes to the capacitor that is missing, fit it to the trinket instead! Cheeky way of doing the job but it will work. The 3v we solder to on the trinket goes to the trinket LDO regulator. Remove the regulator as we don't use it anyway and fit the 4.7 uF ceramic cap there going to ground.

Last edited by mattytrog, Jul 12, 2018
  10. mattytrog
    OP

mattytrog Up yours...

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Yes the left pad.

Shit. Double posted. Sorry double posted police!

11. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    I'm having a heck of a time getting the trinket into bootloader mode. Any tips?

I read a few pages back that you just have to be in the home screen and connect to pc and press reset twice?

12. mattytrog
    OP

mattytrog Up yours...

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    It is a pain in the rear. If you can see the light for the trinket then its all about timing. Alternative is to power externally. Thats the only caveat with the whole operation :(

13. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    I can't see the light unfortunately, but what is the correct timing supposed to be?

14. mattytrog
    OP

mattytrog Up yours...

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    The way I do it and it seems to work...

1) Disable AutoRCM or just boot to OFW
    2) Remove left joycon (not sure why but this seems to make a difference)
    3) Let switch boot
    4) once in home screen, press back panel twice
    5) Upload what you need to to TRINKETBOOT, then fully reboot switch
    6) Get into RCM manually and select AutoRCM if you disabled it.

Works for me. Not sure about removing the left joycon though. Maybe it was a fluke and I`ve turned it into a habit. Maybe something to do with it sensing 1.8v from one joycon, so looking for the other keeping trinket on for longer?

15. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Gonna try again when i get home, does it matter when you plug in the usb cable?

16. mattytrog
    OP

mattytrog Up yours...

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    only plug it in once you have done step 4

17. a7mag3ddon

a7mag3ddon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2013
    I got mine today, theres already files on CUIRCUITPY drive, do I delete them or just add to them from the zip file I downloaded.

18. mattytrog
    OP

mattytrog Up yours...

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Double press reset to get into bootloader first.

The drive you need is TRINKETBOOT. Delete/backup if you wish. It is circuitpy software. Not required. Drag and drop new files there. Or just overwrite.

19. crow132

crow132 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2016
    Saint Helena
    ok so i installed autorcm and powered off the switch at 100% battery, when i woke up the system was kinda hot and battery was at 70% so sadly yeah, the switch wont turn off with autorcm installed :(

20. mattytrog
    OP

mattytrog Up yours...

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Very strange... What method did you follow? What straps have you connected and to where? Every switch I have done it is working fine... Puzzled!

EDIT:::

Gemma M0 files added to OP btw everyone if needed...

DOUBLE EDIT::: If you are using Hekate, I had a similar problem. See OP for details.

Last edited by mattytrog, Jul 12, 2018