Internal memory of PSP old vs. slim

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by roguetrip, Jul 16, 2008.

Jul 16, 2008
  1. roguetrip
    OP

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Been looking around, I pulled the trigger and bought a used PSP Phat for $125.00 used from a game shop, never looked into the differences of the phat vs. slim till after the purchase. I see the old has 32mb internal and slim has 64mb, but reading it says its mainly just for game load times and even at that it might only cut a few seconds off, has anyone done in depth testing of memory, would it help homebrew and such or just game loading? Just wondering if I should return my PSP for a slim, that is the only thing that seems to have me questioning of buying a slim. Thanks!

2. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It helps homebrew and load times for commercial games. It's nothing to return a PSP over though, unless you really want Skype.

3. elenar

Member elenar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sony has made statements to the effect that eventually they may stop supporting the PSPhat in terms of firmware upgrades. So far I haven't heard of them doing it yet. I've also heard that installing custom firmware on the Phat is a lot easier, I know there was a bit of a challenge getting everything for my Slim correct, including having to disconnect a lead on one of the microchips inside the battery of the PSP. I've heard with the Phat it's pretty easy, but to be honest I don't know too much about it.

4. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Unless you're lucky enough to be on one of the downgradable firmwares or below, and have the game needed (GTA LCS unpatched/Lumines) that point is moot.

5. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I honestly can't imagine that it could be any easier than doing it with a pandora/magicmemstick

it's a 3 minute process from start to finish

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    certain add-ons will be required to download
    like the psp radio
    and it will be run off the memory stick
    this saves memory in ram

7. solange82200

Member solange82200 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I had a phat for a couple of weeks, and then got a new slim, and I would not go back. I really didn't use the phat that much because the UMD drive broke after like 1 day of playing it, and I didnt custom firmware it, but honestly the slim is just so much nicer looking. And just knowing that it has the extra RAM and stuff is better for me. I figure if your are going to spend 125 on something like that, you may as well spend the extra 40 bucks and get the newest best thing. I honestly would not have spent 125 on a used phat, but that's just me

8. Shyn

Member Shyn GBAtemp Regular

United States
    $125 for a used Phat? That's a rip off. Check the Craigslist listings in your area, you're bound to find a PSP for cheaper.

9. Kuya

Newcomer Kuya Advanced Member

United States
    Yeah, I agree, you paid a lot for a Phat. If you have that kind of money, you might as well have saved up 50 more bucks and bought the original Slim for 169.99

Either way, if you dont have any more money, just keep the Phat. The Slim is much better, but either one is a PSP. A PSP is a PSP, and theres not a HUGE difference between Slim and Phat.

10. roguetrip
    OP

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I was figuring that the extra 50 could go towards a pandora's kit w/2gb from DX to CFW, also a 4-8gb MSPro or a adapter to microSDHC since 8gb's are less than $40.

I have checked craigslist but all start at $130 and go up to $250 or more.

I may return my Phat and wait since i'm still trying to get my stealth on the road and running into expenses I wasn't expecting.