Hardware Internal battery (Pokemon Sapphire) not working? Fix?

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had a pokemon sapphire (genuine cart) for a while now. I bought it without a battery installed at all (though tabs were soldered to the terminals on the PCB) and have tried to get an internal battery to work.

First thing I tried was desoldering the tabs and replacing with a battery. No luck, still give the "Internal battery is dead" message.
Tried a new battery in case the battery I used was no good (the batteries I have are brand new, not used) but still same result.
Next thing I tried was completely cleaning the terminals on the PCB by removing all the solder, applying a generous amount of IPA and a real good scrub before re-soldering a battery (with new solder) in case the solder on the terminal had oxidised, but still no luck. Same thing.

I don't know if the cart RTC is completely done for or not, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm starting to think it's a broken trace to the RTC chip or something but I'm a novice with detailed electronics so I have no idea what the cause of this game refusing to recognize a battery could be.

DrMat

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
If you can take a photo of the pcb of the gamecart, it may be visually seen what is the issue (though unlikely), if there is an issue with the traces or if the oxidization was not fully removed you may need to look into wicking solder up, though if you have a multimeter (around £10 on amazon) you may be able to find the issue via continuity testing (there are some general guides on youtube on how check if a current can get through paths in electronics)

Another option depending on what hardware you have available to you, if you have a save on the cartridge and wish to copy it off, you may be able to copy the save off via a multitude of methods to put onto another cart/flashcart or emulator with rtc support to have time events occur which would also allow then a transfer back to the cartridge if you wished or not.

Sorry I could not be of more help, I wish you the very best of luck with it

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Possibly the game is confused about the RTC date and time being behind the last saved date and time. You can check this backing up the savegame using a DS (lite) and then deleting it from the cart. Solder in the new battery and start a new game + save. If the game still detects a problem with the RTC battery after powering it off for about 10 seconds and powering on again there is something else going on.

DD1024

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possibly the game is confused about the RTC date and time being behind the last saved date and time. You can check this backing up the savegame using a DS (lite) and then deleting it from the cart. Solder in the new battery and start a new game + save. If the game still detects a problem with the RTC battery after powering it off for about 10 seconds and powering on again there is something else going on.

Typically if the RTC has been replaced but the time is behind the save, you don't continue to receive the dead internal battery message. Since it's been a couple months, I hope OP has solved their issue, but absent of a picture of the PCB to disprove it, I'm going to guess it's something to do with the hardware.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Could be. But then again properly resetting hardware helps in so many cases. It's worth a shot. The Pokémon games reset the RTC if you start a new save.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos