Hacking Interesting thing I came across on Reddit while at work tonight...

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/..._how_to_run_x86_on_arm_not_exagear_this_is_a/

Running x86 code on an ARM device? I know the video's mainly talking about using a RPi, but how about something like the Switch? Like, imagine running AM2R without doing some weird exploit with Undertale and/or MUGEN, of which there is no available source code for unlike that of OpenBOR. Not to mention perhaps PC games natively as opposed to streaming them?

Qubarf

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Did you try it yet?
If it works it would be awesome as Exagear sucks and i have had nothing but trouble trying to get it to work on my switch!

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try it yet?
If it works it would be awesome as Exagear sucks and i have had nothing but trouble trying to get it to work on my switch!

Not yet. I didn't really watch the video until now, but it looks like one is really gonna have to be familiar and comfortable with Linux for this, as the guy in the video says at the end that there's a LOT more that he needed to install to get the full WINE experience. Not to mention, I have a retail job that eats up 5 days of the week and that has no respect for consistency of any kind!

I just figured I'd put it out here since I saw it on r/emulation and thought, "hmm...maybe we can get some Windows games up here in my hacked Switch?" The time it'd take for yours truly to go and figure out how the fuck to get everything up and going, on a Nintendo Switch with all of the quirks of the hardware (does the RPi3B+ even support aarch64, which is something that I've been led to understand as being a requirement for emulators/RA cores need to be compatible on the Switch via L4T-Ubuntu) and software within is something yours truly probably ain't qualified to test, let alone give an informed answer about. I'm literally just putting this information out there in the hopes that someone like natinusala, m4xw, davidgf (we haven't forgotten about you, we would appreciate Reicast on Switch!), bylaws, and/or other hackers experienced with the Switch hardware/software would weigh in on considering how flat the scene has become atm from what I've observed.

Last edited by Silent_Gunner,

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/..._how_to_run_x86_on_arm_not_exagear_this_is_a/

Running x86 code on an ARM device? I know the video's mainly talking about using a RPi, but how about something like the Switch? Like, imagine running AM2R without doing some weird exploit with Undertale and/or MUGEN, of which there is no available source code for unlike that of OpenBOR. Not to mention perhaps PC games natively as opposed to streaming them?

This is stupid. He's creating an x86 chroot and using qemu-user to enter it and run WINE in it. This will not offer any form of graphical acceleration, and will be slow as molasses.

The proper solution here is an aarch64 Linux distro and wine-hangover, or getting over yourself and hijacking one of the Switch GM:S games to use as a runner. They all should use the same binary, anyways. Stop using virtual machine-based hacks. For native Linux stuff, it might be possible to use an x86 chroot and forward GL using virgl, but this is honestly complicated to set up properly.

Last edited by chaoskagami,
Reactions: Mnecraft368

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2