Interesting shops you recently discovered.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by FAST6191, Mar 20, 2016.

1. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    So in a GBAChef I mentioned finding a butchers selling goat and more recently I found something else, more in a moment, and I thought it might make a good topic. That or cement me as token forum old man.

So as the title says have you found any interesting shops when wandering around lately? Finding it on the internet also counts.

Anyway so I was visiting a friend out in t'country and we ended up in a farm turned garden centre and bunch of interesting shops. After a very nicely put together furniture shop and the token garden centre I wandered into another building. Proper old school hardware shop, the sort of thing I thought had died out around 1995. You get DIY superstores and you get cheap shops that might have a few fittings and fixtures in but this was "want a length of rope/chain/cable/pipe -- there are the reels, cut them off and we will figure out the price", need just a handful of nails -- pick your poison, some nice tools and a mixture of good stuff and staffed by people that knew what things were. If I had to explain why this was so nice I guess you are either very lucky, very young or have never built anything.
    It is a bit of a stamp from where I am at but I have gone further for less.

Lycanroc likes this.
  2. Lycanroc

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    I recently found a nice little healthy food store which sells AMAZING raspberry crackers. They also have pretty cheap gummy candies.

3. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    I found this unusual "hidden" PC store, sells shit for cheap, I brought a Gaming PC from there for £200 last weekend.

Last edited by Blue_Mew, Mar 20, 2016
  4. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    A nice little store near my place has a good amount of antique looking things of anything, as well as video games and consoles. Golden

5. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    I've not discovered any interesting shops lately, but I have discovered what I call 'happy hour' at Tesco. Basically just after I get out of work I head to the Tesco across the road and it's perfectly timed for when they reduce everything. When items are close t their sell-by dates, they get reduced to a fraction of their regular price. So I can pick up stuff like gammon steaks that'd usually be about £5 for more like £1.10. Since this is the time I get out of work every day, I drop in and raid the reduced section every night to see what bargains I can get, and grab what I need for that night or the next few days on Fridays. Basically by shopping like this, my food bill is about 1/10th of what it was before.

6. Riyaz

Riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Jun 21, 2011
    Netherlands
    everywhere
    what specs, if i may ask?

7. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    I found two interesting stores recently, well maybe not for everyone but they sure are interesting for me because of how rare they are.

The first one was a gaming store in a neighbouring city called UZ Games, it's interesting because I've never seen a store like here in my province, dedicated to gaming only. Most places I buy games from are this huge stores that sell everything or online. So this was a really neat find. They also have Nintendo games, consoles and Amiibo, which somehow baffles me, because Nintendo is so dang rare here.

The second one is a bookstore, which is pretty normal here and everywhere basically, but what I found on it was interesting. There was a bunch of gaming guides from the early 2000's, complete collections of old manga selling for VERY cheap ( R$100 - R$140 ), and just some overall interesting things. I really want to go check it out again, it's in the same city as UZ games ( My city has basically nothing ), but it's too damn far and I rarely go there :/

( Picture of UZ games I got from Google, pretty nice looking little store.
    [​IMG]

8. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    How do I find out (I'm rather new to PC's).

9. BurningDesire

BurningDesire Nepu Nepu Nepu

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    There is the cool gaming store called Game Underground near me. However, it moved to our nearest mall next to a cheesecake factory. It's not so hidden any more lol. They sell only retro video games and have competitions every weekend. They also have a arcade with cool Japanese games including Japanese ddr! Yes I am a weeb get over it xD

VinsCool and Bubsy Bobcat like this.
  10. Toasty

Toasty Queen

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2011
    United States
    Toledo OH
    I found an authentic Japanese restaurant in another town. I live in a very rural area and stuff like this is difficult to find. They sell unagi and sashimi, two of my favorite japanese delicacies. Very expensive though. 16 pieces of sashimi is like $48. It's worth it though.