Interesting email from eBay

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Hooya, Aug 29, 2006.

Aug 29, 2006

Interesting email from eBay by Hooya at 2:35 PM (2,414 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. Hooya
    OP

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    That's just the first part of the email. There's a bunch of stuff later that says "what should I do now" sort of things. I wasn't even the winning bidder (ever). Was the seller selling a fake? At least something is being done about fakes then.

Thought the community would like to know.

2. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    I believe flash carts aren't allowed on ebay at all - it's not because it might have been a fake Supercard as opposed to a real one.

3. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    I don't see what's wrong with selling 'Backup/Dev Kits', but apparently Ebay have a problem with it, they tend to take down most listings however I don't know about Ebay outside America, I know of some people who have sold flashkits on ebay.

4. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    I think they only take down a listing if someone else (e.g. a rival flash cart seller!) complains about it, which is why sometimes listings get taken down and not other times.

5. agrikki

Newcomer agrikki Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Lol, imagine the M3 team emailing Ebay that someone is selling a Supercard and that it's illegal..

6. TeraS

Member TeraS GBAtemp Regular

lol

i ordered my sdl and superkey from ebay 5 hourz ago

7. Covarr

Member Covarr Sentient Cash Register

United States
    M3 has clever labelling as "Movie Player", making it less suspicious and less likely to be removed.

8. Mucuna

Member Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I received that email when was bidding on a fossil from China. [​IMG]

9. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Maybe it actually wasnt from China but from (gasp!) Taiwan!! Oh the controversy.

10. Heinrisch

Member Heinrisch GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Ebay removes all flashcarts, I have gotten that mail multiple times.

11. Mucuna

Member Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Brazil

Well, yeah...
    But Taiwan is part of China now, right?

12. zone97

Member zone97 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Sold MY m3 on ebay? I see others online? Dont get it.

13. pte

Member pte GBAtemp Regular

14. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Its generally other users who have nothing better to do "ratting" on other sellers and reporting certain items. Sometimes dissatisfied customers.

Generally it goes like this:
    - seller lists a flashcart
    - someone reports it to eBay support
    - listing gets removed with the reason "piracy enabling device"

I had a card and passkey I wanted to get rid of once, and that was the reason they said my auction was closed - "piracy enabling device" - and I asked them right back: "I didnt list it as a game playing/piracy enabling device, even as a so called piracy enabling device it is not very good for that kind of use - and besides, I see TONNES of CD/DVD burners that arent getting closed simply because they can and are used as piracy enabling devices" (I dont remember now what it was I listed, but at the time it did indeed suck for playing commercial games and homebrewing was pretty much the only real use for it). Their reply to what I mentioned about CD/DVD burners was pretty thickheaded, and gives me more reason to beleive the people behind eBay and PP arent quite all there in the heads. [​IMG]

15. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    E-Bay in General (all over the world) has a policy that forbids selling anything that can be used to make illegal backups of games or let you play illegal games
    It also refuses to sell any kind of guns (read a bit further)

On the first point i can understand, BUT this means, if the would handle correct:
    1. Remove any device that let's you make backups
    2. Remove any device that let's you play backups
    3. Remove any device that let's you burn backups (yeah, if the would be correct the should remove ALL cd/dvd burners)
    4. Remove any device that alters a console to do things not intended to be on it
    5. Remove any device that alters the console not forseen by the manufacturer (this means all replacement cases should be banned to (the void your waranty asap))

(The even remove older consoles (megadrive/snes) that are altered to play in 60Hz full screen)

About the Guns stuff:

I and some other ppl i know had there GAMING guns been removed from selling
    A Mate has his ARCADE GAME (it used guns, kinda like time crisis) Removed cause it had GAME guns on it.

After a few letters and re placements i and the others where treatened with our account beeing scrapped if we listed it again, the mail said clearly we where infriging there policy about selling guns.

Goddamned, A Stupid Sega Master System Gun and Nintendo Phaser Gun where removed cause it had the words GUN in the title.
    It even showed the gaming gun, but the told us no discussion, The said A gun is a gun even if it's a gaming gun.
    Even after asking about all those other gaming guns still listed (there where even alarmpistols on sale then (we also asked about it)) the said No comment, it's your sale we are looking to!

Anyway E-Bay suxs, but on the other hands, it's a nice thing to get ride of stuff and get some extra money for new stuff [​IMG]
    I found out, it's best to place backup devices on friday evening for 3 or 5 days

(He, E-Bay, yeah i sold more backup devices then you ever removed form me [​IMG] )

16. dirtyweasel

Newcomer dirtyweasel Member

United States
    I was trying to sell my Action Replay w/Freeloader for Gamecube. I bought it from ebay in the first place but it wasnt removed then. My auction listing was removed because it contained Freeloader. The only thing freeloader is allow you to play imported games, NOT backups! It shouldn't have been an issue, Freeloader was a common item at videogames shops such as EB or Gamestop.

17. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Freeloader DID let you play Backups [​IMG] when you entered the right code in it and saved it, you could use the memoryunit exploit [​IMG]

18. TyrianCubed

Member TyrianCubed Gamer 1989 to present

Italy
    Action Replay did allow you to play backups.

19. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Every time I reported a flashcart or boot device it always gets taken off by eBay.

20. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I got one of my supercards off ebay with no problems. In saying that it was just when they started to play GBA roms. I've never seen the M3 up for sale on ebay. Loads of people sell the supercards on ebay I can't see why they should be taken off. Technically you are selling the supercard on its own without an SD card, without the SD card it won't work. Maybe Nintendo have started fighting back, or the supercard team are trying to get rid of the fakes.