Hacking Interesting Acekard / DSi XL issue..

deseraimp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LONG VERSION

A few days ago I tried to run a patched Pokemon Black 2 on Acekard 2i for the first time and the game froze quickly. When I turned the system back on, the Acekard 2i was no longer recognized, after at least a year of working perfectly. I tried inserting it into THREE other DS systems (a DS phat, a DS lite, and a 3DS), and none of them recognized the Acekard 2i anymore. I assumed it broke somehow; I don't know if it has anything to do with the ROM i tried running, but..

In any event I purchased a new Acekard 2i. It's recognized by the DS phat, the DS lite, and the 3DS, but /STILL/ not the DSi XL. And when I say "not recognized" i mean "there is nothing inserted in the game card slot." I find this really peculiar. I should mention that the DSi XL will recognize an OLD acekard 2 I have (not 2i), as well as any other cartridge i put in.

SHUT UP AND TELL ME THE SHORT VERSION

My DSi XL DOES recognize an old "Acekard 2" in the slot. It DOES NOT recognize an "Acekard 2i" which works with all other DS models I've tried, including the 3DS. I think something is wrong with the DSi XL and I'm not sure how or why, or what I can do to fix it.

THERE'S MORE?

I am running System Firmware 1.4.4U. I have included all of the appropriate updates and the latest version of AKAIO on the SD card, just in case, and still cannot even get the DSi XL to recognize any Acekard 2i. I have searched the forums but haven't found a problem exactly like mine; I've tried the solutions to problems SIMILAR to mine to no avail. Thank you.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the ak2 can not run on the dsi/3ds. only the ak2i can do this. the 2/2.1 can only run on the ds phat/ds lite. so right off the bat i'm confused by what you are saying.

as for the xl issues, it sounds like the popular contact issue.

read more here:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Solving_Acekard_2i_Contact_Issues

your patched rom many have corrupted/damanged the bootloader.

read more here:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Updating_the_AK2i_Bootloader

-another world

deseraimp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. What I mean is that the "Acekard 2" is RECOGNIZED by the DSi XL when you insert the cartridge. It comes up "Acekard 2"; of course, and as you noted, it does not run. The issue is that even a WORKING "Acekard 2i" (recognized by all other devices) will not be recognized by my DSi XL.

I will check out the links you posted :)

deseraimp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should have mentioned that I previously tried the paper trick; it's not a contact issue (and this is supported by the fact that the 2i is recognized on all other DS consoles).

When I started to read the second link, I realized I already tried that, too. Twice, actually. I tried reformatting two different MicroSDs (which work fine), and running the update. It still doesn't make it recognized by the DSi XL (but again, IS recognized by the 3DS and all others)

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the problem is most probably a contact issue. i experience them the most on the XL. i have 10 acekards sitting in front of me that work on my ds lite but are not recognized on my XL. contact issues can appear on one system an not another, happen randomly, or not appear until after an extremly long period of use. you seem to be experiencing one but are unable to dial in the correct fix. try very thin paper and build it up until it works. try a phonebook or something just as thin.

the ak2 has a chip behind it that makes the shell a tiny bit thicker, and it helps to solve contact issues. it is one reason that it is probably recognized but the ak2i is not.

-another world

deseraimp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried cramming the phone book in the game slot but it doesn't seem to fit. Any suggestions?

No, that was a lil joke. Ha Ha Ha Ha.

No but I'll try that : - ) I just find it strange that this issue JUST started happening after the ROM incident. It's not possible that the ROM would have screwed up my DSi XL to make it not read certain cartridges, is it?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
no, that is not possible. my first ak2i worked perfectly fine for about a year. then one day, for no reason what so ever, it developed a contact issue. it happens.

it does seem that many users who run the new pokemon games have been reporting that after playing their ak2i no longer works. i've yet to get anyone to debug fully enough to figure out what the issue is. i tried to replicate it myself but was unable to do so. most users who had problems were able to fix it with a reformat of their msd card. so i'm not sure if the issue is with the rom when booted in akaio or just that the rom is corrupting msd cards.

-another world

deseraimp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, crazy! Well, I'll try to keep messing around with it and see if I can get anything.. Wish me luck.

Thanks so much for your help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs