Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD 64 X2?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Mucuna, Dec 11, 2006.

Dec 11, 2006

Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD 64 X2? by Mucuna at 7:28 PM (1,932 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Mucuna
    OP

Member Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Hello people! [​IMG]

I gonna buy a new computer and I am choosing my new CPU. [​IMG]

I thinking about an Intel Core 2 Duo 6400, 2.13 GHz, FSB 1066 MHz, 2 MB Cache or an AMD 64 X2 DUAL CORE 4200+ SOCKET AM2 940 pins 2.2Ghz 2 x 512Kb cache.
    The Intel is a bit cheaper than the AMD. Wich you do you advise?
    I heard (and read) that the Intel Core 2 Duo is better than the AMD 64 X2. Is that right?

Thanks!

2. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you get the AMD AM2 socket, you should be able to upgrade your CPU to a 4-core in the future without buying a new mobo. Though you may want to research this, I'm not 100% sure. Also, 64bit support is nice for the future as well, things are moving towards 64bit, and once they get there, you will be ready.

3. Nicky33

Newcomer Nicky33 Advanced Member

France
    That's right [​IMG]

4. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    The Core 2 Duo chips are better than the AM2's in most areas.

5. corbs132

Member corbs132 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    its been proven that intel is better than amd as far as gaming with dual core systems.

6. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States

That right there is enough to make old PC DIY builders shake their heads in disbelief. I just built my parents a PC .. theyre in their 60's ... and I used a "standard" Athlon 64 3200 with 1GB of 667 DDR2. Geeesh. And all they'll do with it is check email and store digital pics. Still, that pretty much is the budget recipe right now. Hard to believe ... not that long ago I was agog over the new 100mhz putting the 66mhzDX2 to shame. (ok it was 10 years ago ... damn.)

Since you are building something for a higher shelf, between those two, I'd take the Intel. What others here said about the 4core upgrade is true, but I've built with those kind of considerations in mind in the past and it never works out that way ... by that time there'll be some new USB protocol or vidcard socket or something, and your old mobo won't have it. Plus who wants to drop $$$ on a bleeding edge CPU to put in a dusty old PC, anyway .... better to save up and do the whole package right from the start. Well, that's how my brain always ends up thinking.

7. helpme

Member helpme GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    i went duel core in april with a pentium d 805 @ 3.6 & its awesome but im ready to upgrade again
    but im gonna wait till the the new year till intel & amd quad-cores come out & see how they perform

8. Strokemouth

Member Strokemouth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Core 2 Duo without a doubt. AMD just can't match Intel's latest offerings and doesn't look like it will be able to even with the 4x4.

9. cenotaph

Member cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The Core 2 Duo squashes all current AMD offerings. Go for it.

Edit: also, don't be afraid of getting the lower-end models, they're supposed to overclock well even with stock cooling.

10. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Recent reports say that the Core 2 Duo are slightly superior. I say fuck Intel!! I'm running an AMD 64 X2 4400+ [​IMG]

11. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Get Core 2 Duo, it has a lot more cache, higher clock speed, and better architechture(sp) than that AMD.

12. hakdizzle

Member hakdizzle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Core 2 duo will get u a 5.0 in the vista rating system =)

13. Boneman

Newcomer Boneman Member

Japan
    As a huge AMD fan, i can honestly say that if you were to biuld a new PC as of this moment, and you want to move to a DDR2 platform, YOU SIMPLY MUST BUY CORE2DUO. [​IMG]

A midrange C2D chip will pretty much be on par with an Athlon FX-62. Plus if you spend a bit more and get the E6600 youll get 4mb of cache (2mb per core) instead of 2mb (1mb per core) , which is already fantastic.

Plus if you can get some good 667 ram that can hit 800mhz you will have an absolute stinker of a pc for cheap.

Im currently saving and drooling over this same setup myself. And yes, i LOVE AMD, but quite frankly, they have nothing to offer as of right now, and it doenst look like they have anything better planned for the future in terms of price/performance to come near the C2D.

Damn, now im hanging for this upgrade even more to go with my new 22inch widescreen. [​IMG]

14. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    Actually, the Core 2 duo is also 64 bit [​IMG]

Id try getting the E6600 instead of the E6400. Better for overclocking [​IMG] Friend of mine's clocked it up to 3.0 ghz, with a Zalman Fan of course [​IMG]

15. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
    Just for clarification, I'm pretty sure any Intel chip of the Pentium 4 or C2D flavor that uses LGA 775 (this is ALL C2D chips) are 64bit format.

16. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    That rating system means nothing. I got a 5.0 rating back when I had my Athlon 64 3200.

17. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    Core 2 Duo hands down.