Intel Centrino 2 Core 2 duo OR Core 2 extreme

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by da_head, Oct 5, 2008.

Oct 5, 2008
  1. da_head
    OP

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    so...which one is "better", in terms of overall. i know that the extreme is quad core, but i heard quad core isn't that good yet, and almost no programs utilize it. o and i'm askin this for a laptop.

2. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I'm pretty sure Core 2 Extreme is still only 2 cores, but uses far better technology (and more expensive ofc) than the AMD processors. I just went for an AMD 64 Athlon X2 processor, as they're much cheaper for dual-cores now, and will suit you fine unless you're looking to really futureproof your PC.

3. da_head
    OP

Canada
    "Intel® Core™2 Extreme quad-core processor
    When more is better—with four processing cores the Intel Core 2 Extreme processor delivers unrivaled¹ performance for the latest, greatest generation of multi-threaded games and multimedia apps."

source: http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2XE/index.htm

4. Myke

Member Myke so tasty!

United States
    the extreme isn't quad core, it's dual core. both of them will be a powerhouse I'm sure, but I think the extreme will be faster than the centrino. it seems to me laptops are always a tinsy bit behind a well built tower. Also with the extreme the multiplier is unlocked making for easier and higher overclocking, if you are into that sort of thing.

then again you can get a laptop with a centrino core 2 duo for the price of the core 2 extreme alone, so it's up to you if you wanna shell our more cash.

*edit*
    oh wait,

that link you gave us didn't work for me.
    if you are talking about these ones then again the core 2 extreme is most likely more powerful. I saw some general core 2 duo lap tops and core 2 quad laptops, and the general difference seems to be between 1000 and 2000 dollars more for the quad.
    up to you if you wanna spend that kind of money.
    what do you want to use the pc for anyway? if it's strictly gaming then for now all you need is a dual core. There are some games out that use quad core but it's still few. Get a quad core if you wanna future proof or if you do a lot of ripping, encoding, and high demand applications. That's really where you are going to see the speed improvement for now.

5. da_head
    OP

Canada
    how come the link doesn't work? o.O it works for me..

well i was referring to the one that has black on it and says extreme.

6. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    C2D Extreme is fucking expensive and its performance doesn't justify the extra price... unless you don't mind. I think the C2D Extreme CPUs have unlocked multipliers, which make it an overclocker's dream. If you want to save the money, just go for the normal C2Ds.

Also, who the hell said quad cores aren't good!? That guy must be an idiot...

7. seedvt

Member seedvt GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Centrino = Laptop

Overclocking a laptop? That's a dumb idea.

8. da_head
    OP

Canada
    well not that the quad cores themselves aren't good, but that there hasn't been much software designed yet to utilize it? (i think?)

k i never realized the extreme was so expensive. the regular ones it is then! thanks for ur input guys.

9. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    if you want to save a load of cash and want to get some great power and pretty much great overclocking headroom then get the E7200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115052

you are correct, these cpu's (not matter how many cores you put on could be 10) need software to take advantage of the extra cores
    even now not every program even takes advantage of dual core

10. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    True that. Well, quad cores are still good for future proofing and still do amazingly well compared to their dual core counterparts. An example of this is how my 3.2GHz P4 does just as good as my dual core 4200+ X2 AMD Athlon in Age of Empires II when the going got tough... (2000 vs 2000)