Hacking integrate hbc into system menu

Richardarkless

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dont get me wrong the hbc is great, we wouldnt be anywhere without it but I feel its getting a bit old so why cant we integrate the homebrew channel into the system menu where the system menu looks at the sd apps folder and displays each app like a channel or when the user clicks the sd card in the bottom left will show all the apps and the channels that are on the sd card

Wouldnt this decrease the need of installing wads (also decrease the risk of bricking) and make it so much nicer experience

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Do you have any idea how hard that would be to make?

Instead of that I'd suggest to make a clone of the system menu, with that graphics, integrating HBC in the system menu isn't really easy you know
tongue.gif

Richardarkless

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
wabsta said:
Do you have any idea how hard that would be to make?

Instead of that I'd suggest to make a clone of the system menu, with that graphics, integrating HBC in the system menu isn't really easy you know
tongue.gif

No I dont know how difficult it is thats why im asking

Has anyone got close to making or editing a system menu

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Lol? Do you really think it is that easy to do it? Gosh, if it would be, it would have been done already, think please. To edit the System Menu in such a big way, you would probably need the source code of it, and the source code of the System Menu will never be released. So you can forget editing (which would be stupid anyway, horrible design, imo).

Coding a whole System Menu replacement is a lot of work, probably too much that it will be done. Either the project will be put on hold (Freedom) or will get buggy like hell (GX, if you would call that a try for a Replacement). And even then, we still wouldn't know how to display banners properly on the Wii, so your idea still wouldn't be possible. And even if it would be possible, it's probably too useless to be done. So, in my opinion: Won't happen.

Richardarkless

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Blue-K said:
Lol? The Systemmenu can't be edited this way without the source code of it, and the source code will never be released/leaked.

And coding a whole Systemmenu replacement is a lot of work, probably too much. Either the project will be put on hold (Freedom) or will get buggy like hell (GX).

Ok thanks, I was just wondering cause psp hackers have done this with iso games where they appear alongside homebrew apps so I wasnt sure why wii hackers cant do something similar but with homebrew apps

Richardarkless

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
mvgc3 said:
Wait, don't we already have this??

Forwarder Channels seem to be exactly what you want
unsure.gif

No that is flashing a wad file that links to the app that is on the sd card, yes thats similar but your still at risk of bricking everytime you flash a forwarder channel

While if it was possible to edit the system menu to look at the apps folder and show the apps alongside the channels then that way nothing will be wrote to the system memory (except for the edited menu) but unfortunately the others have said its not possible
frown.gif

mvgc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So test them on SNEEK. I would think that you'd at least like something that's basically exactly what you're looking for, even if its a little more involved

Richardarkless

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
mvgc3 said:
So test them on SNEEK. I would think that you'd at least like something that's basically exactly what you're looking for, even if its a little more involved

I tried that, it took forever to load things cause I havent got a decent sd card so thats not really an option. Perhaps if I decide to buy a better sd card then I will reconsider

aml435

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install priiloader.
Install forwarder channels to your heart's content.
If it bricks, load into HBC through priiloader and delete that forwarder.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll tell you something you could probably do easily, along those lines. Create a batch file that walks the tree on the SD card. Each dol found in apps would get a forwarder channel automatically created for it. Then move the channel to the appropriate location on the card so that it shows up in the SD card menu.

The only downside is that you'd have to "refresh" it manually.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The channels for the SD menu are stored as encrypted .bin files. AFAIK, there's no tools to create said bin files for a channel. Also, how would the tickets get installed?

To do what you suggest, I think you'd have to make forwarder wads for each app, then install the wads on the wii, then move all of the channels to the SD card from data management.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll be honest, I'm still on 3.2, so I haven't really dicked with the SD card menu much. Shame to hear that's easier said than done.

Another note though -- is the SD card menu a separate executable in the System Menu package, much as the Home button menu is a separate dol on a game disc? If so, replacing it would be a hell of a lot easier.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK, there is only one DOL in the SM, and I believe the home menu in disc games is part of the main DOL, even though there is often a separate file containing the HOME menu's graphic/layout resources.

EseHomes

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
To edit the System Menu in such a big way, you would probably need the source code of it, and the source code of the System Menu will never be released. So you can forget editing (which would be stupid anyway, horrible design, imo).
I'm pretty sure IDA Pro can disassemble it. IIRC, I think I came across a link for the decompiled SM4.1U.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
EseHomes said:
Blue-K said:
To edit the System Menu in such a big way, you would probably need the source code of it, and the source code of the System Menu will never be released. So you can forget editing (which would be stupid anyway, horrible design, imo).
I'm pretty sure IDA Pro can disassemble it. IIRC, I think I came across a link for the decompiled SM4.1U.

Yeah nothing magical about it unlike what Blue K seems to believe
smile.gif

So pretty much disassemble it, find where it starts the SD menu routine and dub in a jump to your replacement routine, yes?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
thesund0g said:
EseHomes said:
Blue-K said:

Yeah nothing magical about it unlike what Blue K seems to believe
smile.gif

So pretty much disassemble it, find where it starts the SD menu routine and dub in a jump to your replacement routine, yes?
It's NOT that easy. Disassembling doesn't give you source code. You also have to interpret it. And you don't just create something that big in assembly. It's hard as hell and too much work, for something which already works well (in HBC).

Disassembling is "easy" only when you have to change a few lines of code, like small hacks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @AncientBoi my condolences to both of you +2