Instrument-only metal?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Trulen, Oct 21, 2007.

Oct 21, 2007

Instrument-only metal? by Trulen at 5:41 AM (1,329 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Trulen
    OP

Member Trulen GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, I downloaded me some Final Fantasy songs some months ago.

And there was this metal song with guitars and drums blaring.

And I liked it.

But normally I don't like metal, and I found out why.

The lyrics/sounds/screams are a turn-off for me in the metal range.

So, anyone know of a group or something that does metal music, but only uses their instruments?
    And not sing/grunt/scream?

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Check out stuff from "G3" tours. You'll find a lot of guitar players that have solo albums that fit the kinds of things you're talking about. Artists include:
    Steve Vai (check out the album Alien Love Secrets)
    Joe Satriani
    Yngwie Malmsteen

Also look at Liquid Tension Experiment (essentially Dream Theater without the singer)

That'll get you started.

3. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    my advice: dont start it.

4. humanx

Newcomer humanx Member

United States
    satch, vai and malmsteen are all great players, but they tend to sound dated. especially after listening to their material repeatedly. i cut my teeth on 80s and 90s metal and still think it's awesome, don't get me wrong. but there is a scene of instrumental heavy music going on at the moment that is really interesting too. check out some tracks by bands like:

pelican
    red sparrowes
    karma to burn
    pankration
    clan of the cave bear

5. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    Why don't you try Apocalyptica? They aren't really metal cuz they're playing cellos instead of guitars and they're completely instrumental. Maybe you'll find them interesting

6. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    try YYZ rush. its a great song
    the instrumental linkin park songs are great too. Session and Cure for the Itch
    try listening to Buckethead too, hes a bit weird but awesome nonetheless
    metallica and Black sabbath are good too. They dont scream like you describe so you should check them out.

most of their songs are mostly instrumental.

i would reccomend Fade to black and One by metallica and War Pigs by Black sabbath.
    the intro's are nothing like the rest of the song.Listen to them all the way through

7. Switchy

Member Switchy GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    Well, I came in here wanting to suggest this band.
    They're really good!

8. Lukeage

Member Lukeage GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    You don't state exactly why the lyrics bother you, but there is plenty of metal out there without screaming and has amazing singers (yes, actual singers, some with some very impressive training under their belts).

In the progressive category, bands like Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation (my favourite band) are definitely worth checking out. For each I'd suggest checking:

Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
    Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane or The Perfect Element

Other areas include Symphonic Metal (in all its varieties) and just quickly looking through my collection this would include:

Avantasia (The Metal Opera)
    Evergrey (In Search Of Truth or Recreation Day)
    Kamelot (Epica or The Black Halo)
    Nightwish (Wishmaster)
    Symphony X (V)

There are plenty of bands I have missed, but this should be enough to get you started.

Edit: On a side note, I just realised all those albums except for Wishmaster are concept albums. I love concept albums [​IMG]

9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Some good suggestions but can I point towards the folk/viking metal side of things.

10. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    /me has to check this band out

As a cellist, I'm obligated to do so.

11. Javacat

Member Javacat GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Apocalyptica were in the Eurovision song contest this year [​IMG]

You should check out Red Sparowes though. Also, if you do find any bands you like that people have listed you should search for them on Last.fm, which give you recommendations for lots of similar bands that you may be interested in.
    Be warned though, last.fm in combination with torrents is a dangerous and addictive mix [​IMG]

12. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    heed this warning, for he speaks truth ;_;

13. pikachucrackpipe

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
  14. rest0re

Member rest0re GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    if you wanna hear something weird i suggest drone metal band called sunn o))) they're awesome. they
    just play few cords and it sounds very evil and depressing...

15. DaRk_ViVi

Member DaRk_ViVi ...is everywhere!

Italy
    I think Rage's album "speak of the dead" has a sound that remembers FF (and there are 5-6 instrumental only songs). [​IMG]
    However they sing (they are not a death or black metal band so you won't hear screams or stuff like that).
    You can try Epica too, but there are a lot of great metal bands who doesn't scream, just stay away from black and death metal (and viking). [​IMG]

16. ozzyzak

Member ozzyzak GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have a funny story about Sunn, if you will indulge. I saw them tour with Goatwhore and Celtic Frost when they made their return to the US and what not...

Sunn is not a band that a casual listener will get into, and I'd say very few people fall into them on their first listen. Their live set was hilarious to watch. Until this point I had never heard of them, and me and everyone else just got done rocking out to Goatwhore. So these guys come on and droned for like 45 minutes. For the first few people thought it was cool cuz they figured it was some evil ass intro to a killer rock tune, but it just went on. and on and on and on....and on....

The bass was so heavy that it set off the fire alarm and the smoke was so thick you could hardly see. They were boring, and I would never watch them again. But it was the strangest thing. When they were done playing, they said thank you, and walked off the stage. It was SO weird. Was the first time I ever saw an audience at a rock show totally silent. It was like a graveyard in there. People looked like a combination of pissed and confused. They didn't know what to say, it was undeniably powerful. When the droning stopped, it almost made me light headed to hear silence.

On another note, to the guy asking for instrumental metal. I can't recommend Sunn. I don't think you will like them. And honestly from what little info you've given, I'm not really sure what you'd like since I've never heard the songs you're mentioning. I'm going to guess that it's power metal but who knows...

17. DaRk_ViVi

Member DaRk_ViVi ...is everywhere!

Italy
    I think he's speaking about Otherworld from Final Fantasy X, it's the only song a nonmetal listener would call a metal song. [​IMG]

However try to listen to this one, i think they use a helicopter instead of the drum. XD