Installing WADs without TPhack or Homebrew Channel?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by zidane_genome, Jul 11, 2008.

1. zidane_genome
    OP

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    Ok, so here's my idea, and please be nice if it's been thought of before...

Let's say I have downloaded a single VC title (or WiiWare title)... now, that Ticket is installed on the system.

If I change the ticket number in the Homebrew Channel to match that, and have someone install it on their Wii, then back up to an SD (in memory management), could I delete the channel on an unmodded Wii (no TP hack) and then "reinstall" the Homebrew Channel?

Like if a friend downloaded a VC title with the ticket "1234", and I changed the homebrew channels ticket to read 1234 instead, could it be installed on the second Wii?

2. callmebob

Member callmebob The Grandpa of Awe!

Germany
    [​IMG] ??? You want to replace a title you bought with the homebrew channel???

I think (?) that´s what you want to do. If so, how do you want to install without a hack? I don´t think the bigN is gonna have the homebrew channel available for redownloading.

Just from the top of my (not so brilliant) head, I´d say no; but I´m not really sure what you want to try to do.

3. zidane_genome
    OP

United States
    You completely missed the point...

Let's say my friend has a Wii... and I have a Wii... and hypothetically, I can't take my copy of TP over to their house. If I modify a copy of the Homebrew Channel to match that of a VC ticket, and then copy it to my SD card, could I copy the HBC to the second Wii using the SD card?

Now, if a friend really wanted the HBC, I'd just take my card and TP disc over, but let's just say... this could be a way to get the HBC on for people who don't have TP, or a modchip...

Could the HBC be modified in the ticket area to match that of a VC title, so that you could replace a legit bought VC or WiiWare title with the HBC?

4. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    This would be great if it worked as i dont have a modchip or a copy of Twilight Princess.

5. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    Even if you are able to copy the modified file to your friend's wii you still need a wad installer since the file will not be copied over to your friend's wii. HBC channel's ticket is a faked one and the system is goofed when installing. So it's not possible.

6. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It wouldn't work, due to the fact that all the files need to be signed.

The TMD would also reject it.

7. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    :\
    You seem to have forgotten already that VC and WiiWare titles can't be moved over without a WAD installer. So it just isn't possible.

8. teq

United States
    I believe theres a flag in the bin that makes this possible.

9. nanika

Member nanika 文鎮じゃダメ!まぁ、こんな文字小さしすぎてどうせ読めないっしょ。

United States
    Hmm, seems possible. I'll look into it more. ^^

10. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    from what i understand you think that each wii assigns a ID title of e.g. 1234 for your wii but something different for your friends wii for the same game right? so you cant just change the title ID, you need to wad install the game

11. sanoblue

Member sanoblue The Fuzzy Blue Woof!

United States
    it would be possible yes but the amount of code hacking would probably break hbc in the process.... theoretically its possible to give hbc the same id as that of the unmodded wii but remember we have tried this b4 the twlight hack came along with loading the files to the computer and hex editing them... i think its possible to do such but not worth the time or effort when u can buy a sd card cheap and rent twlight at ur local video store... ie blfuck fuster or movie gallery (can u tell which one i work at?? free games pre release games for the win [​IMG])

12. teq

United States
    Um, you have no clue what you're talking about, do you?

As I said before, the content.bin has to be signed to your Wii. In order to get a signed content.bin for the Homebrew channel, it has to be installed on your Wii.

Also, the TMD file sets the directory in which all of the content belongs. This directory is paired to the directory listed in content.bin. Without it, the Wii does not recognize the data, even if the Title ID matches something that is already on your system.

To illustrate this, I retrieved the content.bin for the Homebrew channel, since I know the Title ID off the top of my head. I hex edited that Title ID into HADE, which is the Internet Channel, and placed it into /private/wii/HADE. Now, despite the fact that I have the tik, cert, and tmd for the Internet Channel on my Wii(I deleted the data through the channel management menu), the Wii did not recognize the modified content.bin.

Instead, the name and icon showed up as ???, meaning it did not recognize the channel.

13. nanika

Member nanika 文鎮じゃダメ!まぁ、こんな文字小さしすぎてどうせ読めないっしょ。

United States
    No, you have the idea slightly wrong. This is encrypted with the Homebrew Channel's key. This idea is to get the .app or .des files and encrypt them with the Internet Channel's key.

14. zidane_genome
    OP

United States
    My idea was, I install the HBC on my Wii with the WAD installer... then copy the CHANNEL data to my SD card...

After modifying the HBC data to be signed to my friends Wii (getting data from their VC or WiiWare channel data), I'd like to be able to use the SD card to copy the CHANNEL back onto a second Wii.

I know that you can't copy a VC title from one Wii to a second with an SD card, as it's been impossible from the beginning... but after editing the channel data to match my friends Wii "secret" codes...

There have been such a HUGE leap in understanding the Wii's internals, just thought this might be possible now.

15. teq

United States
    Uh, no... you have the idea more than "slightly" wrong...

All installed WADs share the same console key. What changes are the directories in which they are located. Without a TIK, TMD, and CERT, you have no file list, directory, or key.

Thus, in order to mask one channel as another, you need to modify the content.bin so that the enclosed data has a matching directory and file list. To move it to a new console, you need a matching certificate, in addition to the aforementioned requirements.

I hope this clarifies how difficult this all is.

16. zidane_genome
    OP

United States
    Yes, it did... I never did any research on the WAD installing, other than how to, lol...

Now I'm seeing that the guys who are doing all the work really have a talent for it, and their work is greatly appreciated!