Installing VC wads or emulator?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Harsky, May 31, 2008.

May 31, 2008

Installing VC wads or emulator? by Harsky at 2:44 AM (2,520 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Since my Wii was out of action due to it being repaired I was wondering if there is any real advantage of installing Wads over installing a SNES emulator? Obviously with Wads, you're restricted to installing what came out on the VC channel but at least it expands to several other consoles like N64 and Neo Geo.

Also, is the whole, "DON'T INSTALL IT. NINTENDO WILL DO SOMETHING TO YOU CONSOLE IN THE FUTURE" fear still ringing true?

2. deba94

Member deba94 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Virtual Consoles run smoother, and have a better compatibility since they are created by Nintendo, but since they are their own separate channel, will take up a lot more blocks. Emulators on the other hand most of the time run roms pretty smoothly, but have the occasional glitch or bad rom. Also something favourable about emulators is that they can save states, something I like to use very often. Plus if you have the same emulator on another system/pc, you could transfer your game save and continue from where you left off. It all comes down to your decision of course. I'd go with the emulator, but its up to you.

And for the second part of your post, that statement IS true. Again, it is up to you if you would like to install the wads or not. [​IMG]

3. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I had a feeling that was kinda true. Wasn't someone saying that when they release a big name game then that's when the trouble will start but now all the title has came and went, what's the next thing to keeo worrying about? Firmware updates for Nintendo to brick the consoles?

4. deba94

Member deba94 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Pretty much. Just don't install one until you've read about it on the forum [​IMG]. If a firmware update DOES come, just save your saves on an sd card and format your wii. It will erase all tickets and channels and such.

5. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    That's a good method.
    You really at this point have nothing to worry about. Just before you install an update come make sure nobody has had any problems after installing it and you'll be fine. As for the VC vs Emulator thats always a matter of opinion. I only have a few games that I wanted from older systems so VC serves me well. What Nintendo hadn't released yet I found (or made) Injected wads for those games. But if you are like some people who play older games religiously and play alot of different games, then the emulators will probably be better off for you. Also the ability to change the button mapping on emulators is a huge advantage they have over VC games. But you swap better emulation (VC games) for more games/more features (Emulators).

6. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    So to sum up. I can install the wads but anything big Nintendo is planning can be negated by just a format of the Wii?

7. jinxvorheeze

United States
    Yes sir! You hit it right on the head! Everything is gone after a system format.

8. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Yes. Be careful though: if you're not careful enough Nintendo could ban you, and formatting the Wii won't help in that case. I take the risk though [​IMG]

9. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Last question, is it better to use the WAD manager or the Wad Installer 2.1?

10. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I'd say: there's not difference. Oh, maybe that you can pick wads y' want to install in wad manager (I think [​IMG] )

11. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Do I still have to rename the Wads to title.wad?

I have a pack of Wads I downloaded and forgot about it and they all have "title.wad" as the name so I can't fit them all in the same folder

12. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    No. title.wad isn't needed. Name it as you want. [​IMG]

13. jinxvorheeze

United States
    Use the wad manager, it allows you to install/uninstall the wads you want without having to add or remove them from the sd card