sfs76

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

Is there still any risk for the console to install US WIiU games on a european WiiU? It's to install Madden13 which looks good but doesn't exist in a EUR format afaik.
My console is modded with Tiramisu, and I have read at various places that using a CFW (including Mocha) generally makes the console region-free.
But there are still some messages on the web saying not to install a WiiU game with the Brazilian method on a console from a different region. These messages are old and maybe outdated, and I'm also aware that some specific homebrew (Spiik) have been produced to overcome some issues with this kind of settings.

But I still a little bit concerned, and I'd like to be 100% sure not to do a silly move. My main question is on the safety: is there any risk to brick? (in general or in specific cases)

Bonus question if there's no risk to brick: what are the chances that the game work in the end? Even with recent modding guide it looks like that there are still potentially some issues
e.g. https://gbatemp.net/threads/cant-run-usa-version-of-the-game-on-eur-tiramisu-loaded-wii-u.606634/
and a post on Reddits states that there are always issues because of the directories where the games are installed.

Thanks in advance for your answers

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Stop over thinking shit, you've done the hard part lol!

As long as you are in cfw your games will load fine. As for the game working or not.... Try it. You will not brick or screw up anything other than said game not working which can then be deleted and there are plenty of compatibility wikis on the temp but in reality only you can answer that question... No one else has your console.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Stop over thinking shit

^- This. In other words:
  • You won't brick.
  • Tiramisu is region free for games from UBS/NAND, working to around 95%.
  • Spiik is for games running from disc, so completely independant from CFW and not what you're looking for.
  • Brazillian method is cool for warez but has nothing to do with out of region play.
So yea... Stop mixing things up, instead have a Wii U in your hands and just play with it... ;)

sfs76

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for all your answers. And I get the point, I'm probably a bit too careful here. :).
To my defense, I've read so much threads in the past were people were answered with a "why did you that stupid thing, that's normal that your console is bricked now!". The difficulty is to know if these past warnings are still valid with current modding techniques, or were just limitations of past methods.

And thanks for the info on spiik, I didn't dig in this software yet, just read the name (eg here) and didn't know it was just for disc games, so I can ignore it.
For the "Brazilian method", maybe it is no the good word to use, I meant installed on the NAND or USB. I thought all the NAND/USB installers were using the Brazilian method under the hood, but it's maybe not true.

So I've installed Madden 13 and it works fine, looks really fun and really well adapted to the WiiU with good use of the gamepad. Just need to understand all the rules of this sport now :/
Another US exclusive game doesn't start though (WipeOut 3), I need to check if the install worked correctly.

Last edited by sfs76,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@sfs76 There are some old and outdated guides telling you to change the region in a file on the NAND. Do not do that as this has a high brick risk. Also as told this is outdated and unneeded with Tiramisu. Rule of thumb: Never change anything on NAND in case you're not 100% sure what you do is correct. Do not follow guides telling you to tamper with the NAND.

Installing an out of region game can't brick the console through, esp when intalled to USB instead of NAND.

So yea, just install your out of region game and see what happens. Most likely it will just work. ;)

Reactions: sfs76 and Kopimist

sfs76

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
  • Spiik is for games running from disc, so completely independant from CFW and not what you're looking for.
Just in case it may help someone reading this thread, Spiik allowed a US game (WipeOut 3) installed on USB to launch on a EUR WiiU+Tiramisu, whereas it always got stuck at the splashscreen when not activating Spiik first. Also true for another US game. So don't hesitate to try it even in the case where the game is not a disc.
I will try asap if aroma region new plugin do the trick too, to avoid to have to launch spiik for the few non EUR games that don't launch without spiik.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.