Hacking Question Installing NSPs on ReiNX and firmware requirements

Bertimo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, if this has been posted elsewhere I apologize and please point me in the correct direction! :)

My question is, I am on FW 4.1 and I wanted to play the new pokemon game but I know this game needs higher than that (5.1 I think?). I have been using tinfoil to install games in ReiNX and I noticed there is an option to ignore required firmware for the given NSP. Does this mean that it can be installed and played on a lower firmware (eg 4.1) and not update me to the normally required firmware, allowing me to stay on 4.1? are there any other ways to play games that are usually needing higher FW (I know its a big ask!) without using other tools to update my whole system and then downgrade later on.

I know there are tools that will allow me to protect my fuses if I wanted to update to the higher firmware but I'd rather not use them.

Thanks! :D

Masamune3210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It basically turns off the requirement of a certain firmware as long as the game doesnt use any newly added system software features. Easiest thing to do is to either google if a game works, there is a chart somewhere with games and their actual required firmware. You could also just install a game with that option selected, and see if it works. If it doesnt nothing bad should happen, the game just will probably crash

stephrk398

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran into my first game today that did not work with tinfoils ignore FW option, that game being GRIS. I'm on 5.1 and am now taking steps to go to 6.1. I did some researching and I guess the base game will work on 6.1 with sx. Update needs 6.2.

Masamune3210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly there isnt really a good reason to stay on the lower firmwares as long as you make sure you dont burn any fuses you can update to 6.2 using ChoirdijorNX or something and turn on AutoRCM to make sure that it never boots into normal HOS. Thats what I do, I have 5 fuses burnt which means 4.10,but I am on 6.20 with AutoRCM on so the Switch can't boot without something blocking the fuses

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over