Installing FBI (or similar) to a fresh Sys/EmuNAND? (without rxTools)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by d0k3, Oct 18, 2015.

1. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    This is actually not for myself (my EmuNAND is running fine), but I've been thinking on how to automate this. A lot of users have trouble getting FBI (or similar) installed in SysNAND. PastaCFW is severely outdated now (no Ninjhax 2.x support, f.e.) and newer CFWs simply don't allow running *hax with the needed permissions. I think firmlaunchhax is to blame.

So, the only method without rxTools right now would be this:
    1. Install Ninjhax 1.1 (need Cubic Ninja and have to be on or below 9.2).
    2. Get PastaCFW (an older version without firmlaunchhax) from somewhere, run it via Ninjhax.
    3. Now, run Ninjhax again, install FBI.
    4. Reboot, install Gateway into you Ninjhax save.
    5. Use Gateway menu to format emunand
    Do anything wrong, and you have to repeat several steps all over again. Also, if you already started setting up your EmuNAND and only then recognize theres something crucial missing - your fault, back to step #1. Why not use rxTools, you ask? Many people simply don't trust rxTools anymore by now. Using that method (installing over health and safety via rxTools) involves at least one failed attempt everytime and for many it doesn't seem to work at all.

What I could think of right now (and that would be a solution for SysNAND only) would be a special launcher for FBI that would also patch sigs. Or, recreating rxTools dev mode in ReiNAND.

Btw, re rxTools - I don't want to offend anyone, of course. A lot of talented devs do work and have worked on rxTools, but over time the thing just got to bloated for its own good.

Last edited by d0k3, Oct 18, 2015
    SLiV3R likes this.
  2. daraly

daraly Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2015
    Switzerland
    my step in sysnand:
    1:run browserHAX,install themeHAX
    2:run browserHAX again, then run CFW and diaable sig check. back to the home menu
    3:run browserHAX again, install FBI in homebrew launcher(FBI install FBI)
    now,you can into CFW mode with HOLD L,CIA install also work fine.
    sorry for my bad english.

3. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Thank you! What CFW are you running? What you wrote above didn't work with ReiNAND for me.

EDIT: Also, as for injecting FBI over Health & Safety... From the rxTools source code it looks like it is as simple as just copying the TMD/APP over in CTRNand. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by d0k3, Oct 18, 2015
  4. daraly

daraly Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2015
    Switzerland
    I use cakesFW,because it is simple and still in development(other CFW update no longer available)

5. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    its good that you are lifting this issue. I have a N3DSXL 9.2. Never got the PastaCFW to work on Ninjhax 2.1. Im thinking of go back to 1.1b. But it feels a little odd, 2.5 is coming soon..

The only reason for me to do be able to use CIAs is to play PS1 games ^^

6. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    The CakesFW dhs branch should also work for installing FBI over LAN.

7. JJTapia19

JJTapia19 I fight for my friends.

May 31, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    Last edited by JJTapia19, Oct 18, 2015
  8. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Great! But, it's there also source code available?

9. JJTapia19

JJTapia19 I fight for my friends.

May 31, 2015
    Puerto Rico
  10. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Alright, so that special PastaCFW version would be an option, but I don't like the source code not being available.

Another option is installing FBI over Health & Safety with Riku's tool, but this only has support for O3DS. I could even code something for Decrypt9 to make the Injection process easier, but without N3DS support I don't see much of a point now. rxTools can also only inject FBI on O3DS, btw.

11. LeFox

LeFox Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2016
    United States
    do you have a way of running cakesfw on new3ds 11.0.0-33 U? I have menuhax and i put cakesfw in it but when i access it through menuhax it just takes me to a black screen

12. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    CFWs are working on 9.2 and below ONLY, until newer exploits.